MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Cage Bottoms

messy how-to?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

How do you handle the bottom of your fid's cage? Ours is the sort that has a pull out 'drawer' that's about 3/4 of an inch high. I put paper in that. Then above it, there is a wire 'grating' of sorts. I put paper on that, too, because I worry about bumble foot and I don't think it looks comfortable to walk on. Should I just take the wire grating out so Happy can walk on the bottom of the 'drawer' bit? She's not an escape artist.

Also: I hate the bottom of the cages. Why can't they design them so they don't have all those nasty nooks and crannies? It's so hard to get poo and seeds out of it!

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

I used to put paper in the tray, too, but I was using an appalling amount of paper, so I just put it on top of the grating and empty and wipe down the trays about once a week (or more often, for my really messy ones like Maggie and Freddie). I've considered ditching the grating, too. It doesn't serve much of a function that I can see. Johnny's cage doesn't have one -- it's a used cage a friend gave me and never had one. Maggie's cage is actually a dog kennel and never had one, either.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#3 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I can't believe it never occured to me to just put paper on the top layer. LOL

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have a paper shredder -- Freddie -- and he shreds not only HIS paper but everybody else's. I originally stopped putting paper in the tray, too, as a way to keep him from being tempted to try to dig out that paper and shred it, for fear he'd hurt his beak trying to get to it through the grate. I've tried giving him a roll of paper just for shredding, but he really loves to tear up his newspaper.

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

I still use newspaper to line the bottom "drawer" of Ralph's cage, and keep the bottom grate in place too. Ralph does like to play down there sometimes, and the grate serves as the "foundation" for his construction projects when he builds with his wooden dowels. He wouldn't like it at all if I removed the grate. Posted Image

#6 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

I removed the grate from Shah's cage but left it in the cockatiels' cages. Newspaper is used to cover the cage floor as well as the grated cages. The cockatiels really don't spend any time on the floor of the cage but Shah does.

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

My tiels play on the floors of their cages constantly. Jade goes down there to pick up dropped food and toys.