MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Abbey Ate Cigarettes!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

#1 Sugarcat

Sugarcat

Adv Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:34 PM

ACK!! not a quaker - an african grey..but, we left abbey unattended and she flew into the kitchen & found an almost full pack of cigarettes. When I found her, ALL the cigarettes were shredded!
She seems okay - Dh is playing with her now, we are going to watch her for the next couple hours. Oddly, we were in the garage, smoking, when this happened. Our **** neighbor that won't leave us alone showed up, and I won't let him be in the house w/ the birds...

Anyone have any experience w/ this type of thing? What should I watch for? I've looked up signs of poisoning, and she is showing none. The nearest avian 24/7 clinic is St. Paul, and well...I don't think dh or I are in any condition to actually drive a car.

Wendy...feeling like a total loser & horrible parront

#2 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

Wendy can't you at least call a Vet and ask them. Surely someone will call you. You really need to know....

#3 Cantab

Cantab

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

Yes I agree phone the vet and ask him if/or what symtoms to look out for etc, all the best. unsure.gif

#4 Quincy's Slave

Quincy's Slave

Adv Member

• Members
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

Call your local poison control and explain the situation, they might be able to help.

#5 Sugarcat

Sugarcat

Adv Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:27 PM

I called the emergency clinic - they told me to call the pet poison control - the number is 800-213-6680 in case any of you need it for future reference. 35.00 per case.
Anyway...they told me to watch for vomiting, increased heart rate etc, and to get her in for a ...crap, I can't remember what they called it. Cleaning out of the crop, essentially. Since the poison control is local, I asked about the ER closer to us, and the woman said to call and ask if the vet on duty tonight has avian experience. I'll be calling after I post this...
Dh does NOT think Abbey actually ATE any of the pack -
he thinks, based on the HUGE mess she left that it was just a chew toy for her. She is acting normal for now.

I feel like such a complete idiot! I HATE when this particular neighbor shows up (which would be every single night he's in town!) He irritates me beyond belief..the last 2 nights I have NOT answered the door - doesn't stop him, he walks around to the back to see if we are home. He rings our doorbell until I can't stand it..Tuesday he showed up FOUR times before he finally gave up....
He pisses me off because..I can't let him in the house - we have to sit outside (smoking & his horrible mouth). That takes time away from our birds....and look at the result! The bad thing is that I have no window coverings on the front of my house - so he can see that we are home. Trust me, THAT will change tomorrow morning! I am SO done w/ this nonsense!
I'm off to check on Abbey, and she will most likely end up at the vet tonight...

Thanks smile.gif

Wendy

#6 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:38 PM

I kind of agree with hubby...about not injesting any ...If in fact she did...one good thing to come of it is she probably wont have worms now...Tobacco will kill worms...at least it does in horses...LOL

OK...Wendy is it ok if I make Jokes now...I deleted several posts I started cuz all I could think of was Smart joke answers...

Like...Did you smell her breath to see if you could smell smoke? LOL
And Doesn't she realize she has to be 18 to purchase tobacco products...Silly bird! SORRY...I just couldn't stop myself...

#7 Sar

Sar

Adv Member

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:41 PM

uh oh, hope she's alright.

#8 Tara Rose

Tara Rose

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

Watch for DTs tomorrow AM laugh.gif Sorry..couldn't help myself.

Just wanted to add that the human poison control center is usually just about as good at giving you advice for animal toxicities as the animal poison control center, and it's free wink.gif Most clinics will use that before they all the animal one. As Connie said, it's rare for them to eat anything that isn't food and tobacco probably tastes really icky..

Hope everything turns out ok wink.gif

#9 Sugarcat

Sugarcat

Adv Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (Andie's Mom @ Oct 5 2006, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kind of agree with hubby...about not injesting any ...If in fact she did...one good thing to come of it is she probably wont have worms now...Tobacco will kill worms...at least it does in horses...LOL

OK...Wendy is it ok if I make Jokes now...I deleted several posts I started cuz all I could think of was Smart joke answers...

Like...Did you smell her breath to see if you could smell smoke? LOL
And Doesn't she realize she has to be 18 to purchase tobacco products...Silly bird! SORRY...I just couldn't stop myself...

Connie you make all the jokes you want smile.gif I need the comic relief! I am in a complete panic now, while dh is snoring so loud he's waking the corpses at the cemetary down the street...
Abbey seems fine - I'm starting to think Dh might have been right that she didn't actually eat any. I'll go smell her breath now... smile.gif

Wendy

#10 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

Just be glad it wasn't chew...can you just see a grey Spitting tobacco juice....LOL..not a pretty site...LOL

OK..I promise..No more jokes......well...I hope I can promise...Sorry Wendy, I know you were really worried...but sometimes it helps to have some humor mixed in...

#11 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Tara Rose @ Oct 5 2006, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watch for DTs tomorrow AM laugh.gif Sorry..couldn't help myself.

Just wanted to add that the human poison control center is usually just about as good at giving you advice for animal toxicities as the animal poison control center, and it's free wink.gif Most clinics will use that before they all the animal one. As Connie said, it's rare for them to eat anything that isn't food and tobacco probably tastes really icky..

Hope everything turns out ok wink.gif

Ok Tara, what does DT mean? Dark Turds???

#12 Guest_alec_*

Guest_alec_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

ok so my quaker did the same thing once...

he basically shredded them...took him all of 1 min...they were in my purse...which was a schatcle type thing...were he had to go under a flap and into the bottom of the purse to find the cigs...took him all of a min to get to them and start and finish shredding....

he turned out to be fine...i dont think that he actually ingested any...

dont beat yourself up over what happend...

but watch out...i have to make darned sure after this happend to keep the cigs well out of sight and in places that he CANNOT get into...

cause he will seriously hunt them out...ive caught him trying to get to them....but have so far prevented him from chewing them up again....i think hes addicted....

keep an eye on the bird tonight...vomiting etc then go to the vet...good luck and i hope birdy is Aok!

#13 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:58 PM

WARNING: The Surgeon general has determined that use of tobacco in birds can become habit forming. Must be 18 yrs of age to purchase...LOL

OK...I couldn't resist...

#14 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:30 AM

I really don't know what to say except how sorry I am.

#15 Animal Quackers

Animal Quackers

Michelle & Mark

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:42 AM

Wendy,

Please give us an update when you can! Thinking good thoughts here!

#16 acutenewt

acutenewt

Nemo and Me

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:56 AM

How is Abbey today? I hope she's fine. I agree that she probably just shredded them. Now here's something from a non-smoker...
Maybe this will make you quit! If you don't smoke, you don't have to go outside and be bothered by that annoying neighbor! wink.gif . Just thought I'd try, I'm always on my dad's case to stop. He has really bad health problems too!
Anyway, as for Abbey, you might want to start her on Nicoret (sp?) or a patch...I've heard they work pretty well! laugh.gif

#17 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

Ohh Wendy .. Hope she is ok and only shredded them ...

As a child I ate half a pack of cigarettes ... they were plain (no filter) and I injested all of them and ended up with an increased heart rate ... and stayed overnight in ER. The bonus is that is when they determined I had a heart condition that they didn't know about ...

Sure hope she is ok!

#18 cindylou_38

cindylou_38

Rose

• Members
  • 5,152 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:51 AM

My husband and I are smokes and if we do not remove the ashtry Joey will go in it. So when I walk away its the first thing I pick up.I guess he sees us with it in our mouth so he figures its ok.

#19 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:00 AM

Hope Abby is o.k come ease our minds ...Naughty Little girl doesn`t she know she is too young to smoke... laugh.gif sending possitive vibes and hugs from down under...sounds like she just was telling you to QUIT...ripped them to pieces.. laugh.gif

#20 Sugarcat

Sugarcat

Adv Member

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

Abbey is fine! What a horrible scare that bird gave me!
Totally MY fault - we never leave cigs in the house....I'd gone out on the deck to get my 3 minutes of sun, came in & left them on the table. I do think she just chewed & didn't eat any. I stayed up half the night watching her, slept for a few hours, got up at 5 to check on her. She was fine....irritated at not getting her beauty sleep, but fine!

Yes - we should quit! It's a disgusting, filthy nasty habit. If only quitting smoking would get rid of that pesky neighbor...He'd still show up! Not answering the door does not deter him - he is persistant, and last night actually pitched a hissy fit that we didn't answer the door tues or wed night, and he KNEW we were home because he saw us walking around after he finally gave up. Totally creeped me out....I feel like we are being stalked by this guy sad.gif

Thanks smile.gif

Wendy