MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Brazil Needs A New Home

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_quaker oatmeal_*

Guest_quaker oatmeal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:16 AM

Brazil is now around 9 months old. She says good girl pretty well and makes a good atempt at many other words. I am not going to be able to keep her because of two reasons. One is that she has bonded so so closely to me that she has become aggressive towards my husband and children and the other is that I have been offered an eclectus parrot at a price I cant pass up and not to offend any quaker fans but the eclectus was my pick long before I bought Brazil. I ended up buying my quaker because I had wanted the eclectus soooooooo bad but when I saw how expensive they were I had to settlke for a bird I could afford. Now I cannot see me having BOTH with Brazils BIG attitude.
I think I got off to a bad start with Brazil. I spoiled her badly and I really do beleive that if you put her in a new place with new people, without me around, she could be retrained. I have at least learned my lesson about raising a baby bird and will go about raising the eclectus differently.
Brazil has never bitten me, but will give anyone else a new appriciation for bandaides. She needs an owner how has experience with retraining and a lot of patience. oh, by the way, I do not really know "her" sex. She IS a tame bird, I hand fed her myself. She is extremely loving and cuddly to me, its everyone else she has a problem with. I think given time and a knowlagable bird owner, she will warm up to others. I would like to have $ 75.00 for her and you will need your own cage. Sorry, but I do not want to ship her.Pick up only. We live in Austin, Indiana. You can email me at tomesphotos@yahoo.com

#2 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

I do hope you realize that many people are going to be upset by you getting "RID" of one bird to "GET" another. Most if not all of us here believe in once we adopt a bird it is for life. Yes there are circumstances when it is going to be ok for people to have to rehome their birds. Life threatening allergies, landlords evictions, and a few others. I am not here to judge you, you are going to do what you feel is right for your family. Just know that not everyone is going to be pleased with this and you have opened yourself up to some critisism. I myself can teach you techniques that will help you teach Brasil to bond with everyone. You have to be willing to put the work into a bird as you will only get out of them what you put into them.

I have 8 rescues, and almost everyone of them was an impulse buy for someone that went wrong later as you have done by what I have read. My guess is you couldn't afford the Ekkie so you settled for a Quaker. Now this wonderful quaker is going to suffer because of this. You did say after all that Brasil is attatched even overly attatched to you.

Think of it this way. I was a foster child and I went from home to home, until I finally found a place that I was wanted and had bonded to one person in the family, The mother. Then my Birth family whom I did not share a bond with came in a ripped me out of the arms of a place I felt loved, secure and wanted. You can chose to think these birds are not capable of these same types of feelings I felt but I can assure you with my years of rescue work they feel every bit what we do and more! I suggest you watch the movie Wild Parrots Of Telegraph Hill and learn just how deep these guys bond to other birds and other people. Again I am not judging you, you are going to do what you feel is best for your family. I am just asking you to rethink what is best for Brasil!

#3 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:59 AM

wish you well

original post deleted by ME

#4 Sammy's Mom Robyn

Sammy's Mom Robyn

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

Is there any way that any of us could help you keep Brazil?

#5 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (Sammy's Mom Robyn @ Jan 17 2006, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there any way that any of us could help you keep Brazil?

Very nice respectful post! Thank you! We are all here to support the members and I have offered my expertise in helping Brasil bond to other family members. It can be done as all but one of my rescues treat all my family members the same. It wasn't like this when they first come into the house, only I can work with them at that point. It is a work in process that is so worth it.

#6 Ashley and Kiwi

Ashley and Kiwi

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:09 PM

Wow, I think I am going to keep my mouth shut. I just wanted to say that whatever happens, I hope this bird gets a chance at a good life.

#7 Andie Wan Kenobi

Andie Wan Kenobi

White & Nerdy

• Forum Manager
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:11 PM

OK, folks I will only say this one time...address the post, not the poster! I can see this getting sideways very quicky.

Unfortuanately I am nowhere near you to help with homing Brazil, but I do wish you the best of luck.

#8 twizzlebeak

twizzlebeak

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

I have always wanted an African Grey. I love the birds outside too. I became so involved watching the behavior of the Blue Jays that I was really wanting an inside bird. We simply could not afford an African Grey and I thought there's no way. My sister found two Quakers that were just born and gave me Twiz. I love him so much and there is no way on earth that I could give him up. He's not an easy bird to live with. I wish more people knew what complicated personalities they have before getting one. But for every bite I've had I've gotten tons of love and hours of pleasure watching and studying this guy! Why don't you give Brazil a second chance. Some day I think we will add an AG to our household but Twiz will be our number one bird child always!

#9 Chyrel

Chyrel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:29 PM

For those of you who might be interested, I looked Austin, IN, up on the atlas. It is about 60 miles (my estimate, probably a little more) south of Indianapolis, on I-65, or about 25 miles north of Louisville, KY.

I can't take Brazil, I don't have enough space. But with Brazil living in Indiana, and only four hours from me, I will help with transportation or keeping her a few days for her adoptive family.

Best wishes to Quaker Oatmeal and especially to Brazil.

#10 Ashley and Kiwi

Ashley and Kiwi

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for offering your help, Chyrel. wink.gif

#11 Chyrel

Chyrel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

What's funny is that last night I dreamed I adopted FOUR(!!!) more Quakers, all with special needs. I remember thinking in my dream, "Am I crazy, or what?" smile.gif

#12 QPShrek

QPShrek

Simon and Gumby's Mom

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:52 PM

Obviously, it's your choice and I'm sure you will do what is best for little Brazil and your family. wink.gif

What I want to add, as an Ekkie slave and a former QP slave, is that I feel that if you WANT to keep Brazil, along with your Ekkie, it is definitely do-able. I didn't give up my QP to get my Ekkie, I lost our QP to a tragic accident with our dog and I would give ANYTHING to undo that terrible day and have the Shrekster back. sad.gif I love my Ekkie! And I love my Caique! But, there's not a day that goes by that I don't miss that one of a kind QP 'tude, so I still come here to live vicariously. biggrin.gif

Yes, QP's have HUGE attitudes! Yes, Ekkies are quieter, broodier, more sensitive souls. But it's a workable situation. If you simply always keep your QP first, in all that you do, there should be no reason it won't work. Your Ekkie won't know any different, therefore it won't get jealous - besides, they really aren't in your face birds like a QP anyway. There is no doubt in my mind that if Shrek were still alive, we would still have gotten Simon, our Ekkie, and kept both with no problem. We can help you do that if you decide to try it.

If you are interested, others here can help you work through Brazil's over-bond to you. Cheryl and Lori (4thebirds) come to mind as folks who's blogs you should check out for some assistence, or even PM with them and they can walk you through it. (I'm sure there are others who I'm missing - no offense meant by my omission.)

That being said, I repeat... Obviously, it's your choice and I'm sure you will do what is best for little Brazil and your family. wink.gif If you do re-home Brazil, I hope someone on this forum can give her an awesome forever home... I'd take her, but I have the no vacancy sign up at my place right now. Good luck, and keep us posted! biggrin.gif

#13 ~Brenda~

~Brenda~

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (Chyrel @ Jan 17 2006, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those of you who might be interested, I looked Austin, IN, up on the atlas. It is about 60 miles (my estimate, probably a little more) south of Indianapolis, on I-65, or about 25 miles north of Louisville, KY.

I can't take Brazil, I don't have enough space. But with Brazil living in Indiana, and only four hours from me, I will help with transportation or keeping her a few days for her adoptive family.

Best wishes to Quaker Oatmeal and especially to Brazil.

I am right now asking a friend of mine if she is intrested in Brazil, if she is, Chyrel, would you still go pick him up and give me directions to your house? I am around 4 hours drive from Indianapolis, Indiana and I am betting Gail would like to ride along to pick him up from your house so you'd be blessed enough to meet us both......

#14 Taraleigh

Taraleigh

Adv Member

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:04 PM

As I live in Northern Indiana, I would love to help little Brazil. However, I have been laid off and can not be out anymore than the gas it would take for me to drive south of Indy. Nor can we afford right now to purchase another cage. When I rescued Tango,(he came with a very small cage) I put him in the only other cage I had, large enough for a QP. That was PeeWee's outside cage. As Brazil is only nine months old, I think there is huge hope for her. I truly wish that you would give it a shot, with the 2 of them. Since bringing Tango home our lives have been doubly enriched. Sending only good thoughts your way.

#15 StephieSue

StephieSue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

I do hope that you don't give up on Brazil, especially if she is that bonded to you. I cannot give her a home right now as I don't have enough room especially with a tiel in my daughter's future but anyone who takes her, if you need a cage i have some cages that would be good for short term use that I'm willing to donate or lend whichever. I say short term use only b/c they are smaller than i would want to use for Peanut.....I live in central Illinois, Urbana....you can check mapquest and let me know.....Brenda I saw your post and i live about an hour away from Gail, cannot drive that far but could probably meet her or you halfway from her place to drop off cage.........

#16 4thebirds

4thebirds

aka tuscun

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

i wanted to add.. that while i understand you wanting an ekkie(i do too!) ... your likely to miss your qp. they are unlike any other parrot... and highly underestimated. i too hope you reconsider.. as he truly sounds like he loves you. sad.gif

#17 Guest_quaker oatmeal_*

Guest_quaker oatmeal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

Hello, I am happy to hear so many suggestions as I really did expect a lot of criticism. Of course I could have lied and said it was allergies or the landlord and avoided that but I wanted whoever took her to know the situation and what they are getting in to. I know it seems wrong to replace one bird for another, and I did do some quaker research befor I bought Brazil. Nothing I read said antthing about serious one person attachment problems or how extremely loud they can be, or that they may be bad for children.
You see I do not dislike Brazil now, it is much more complicated then that. A lot of it is to do with my family. I have a large family and all of them are terrified of Brazil, so even if I was willing to try to work with her, all of them have had one to many bites to even consider trying to buddy up to her. She hates my husband so bad she will run for him and bite his feet if hes in the room when her cage is open. And these are real, blood drawing bites, not little pecks.
The eclectus is my "dream bird" and I am worried about it picking up on Brazils aggression and squaking. And if it does not pick up the bad habits, it will surely be annoyed or even intimidated. I do like her but no matter how I weigh the odds the two of them is too much. I know it was wrong of me to ever buy the quaker in the first place when I really wanted an eclectus. But whats done is done and I never in a million years thought I would have the chance to own an eclectus, I am not going to turn it down. Wrong as I may be, please do not judge me, help me find a good home for Brazil.

#18 Dawn and the gang

Dawn and the gang

A MBS sufferer, but, I love it!!!!

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

I'm too far away to help, but, would be more than willing to help you, Brazil, your family and any other fid to get along. I have 3 quakers and a nanday conure. They are all bonded to me more than anyone else, but, are able to be handled by anyone. It took some time for all this to happen, but, it definately can be done.

I originally wanted an african grey, but, they were too much money and I fell in love with my Kiwi, so she came home. Since her arrival, I acquired my other 3 fids. At the end of this month, I will be getting a baby congo grey. He's going to need more attention than the others, because I'll have to handfeed him, but, I have no doubt that my fids will make it through another transition with little to no problems. Furniture will have to be arranged, a 30 gallon fish tank will have to be moved to put his cage, but, there's not even one thought of rehoming, my fids are exactly that, my feathered kids and in my home they'll stay.

Please reconsider keeping your baby, we all can help you work this out.

#19 Chyrel

Chyrel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (~Brenda~ @ Jan 17 2006, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am right now asking a friend of mine if she is intrested in Brazil, if she is, Chyrel, would you still go pick him up and give me directions to your house? I am around 4 hours drive from Indianapolis, Indiana and I am betting Gail would like to ride along to pick him up from your house so you'd be blessed enough to meet us both......

Brenda, I'm about the same distance from Indy as you are. New Carlisle is just 10 miles west of South Bend. I will do what I can, and I would like to meet you and Gail.

QuakerOatmeal, how far can you drive to deliver Brazil?

Let's work something out, OK?

#20 Guest_quaker oatmeal_*

Guest_quaker oatmeal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

Okay, it wont hurt to hear what you have to say, so through me your suggestions on how to get Brazil to be tame with my entire family. If it sounds like something I can accomplish then I will give it a try. Do you think it will be a long prossess? I dont want the bad behavior to effect the baby eclectus who will be here in a few short weeks.

QUOTE (quaker oatmeal @ Jan 17 2006, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, it wont hurt to hear what you have to say, so through me your suggestions on how to get Brazil to be tame with my entire family. If it sounds like something I can accomplish then I will give it a try. Do you think it will be a long prossess? I dont want the bad behavior to effect the baby eclectus who will be here in a few short weeks.

Let me add that I still beleive a new home would be best but if I cannot find either an experienced bird handler or a person with other quakers then I will try and keep her with your help.