MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Most Liked Content

#641341 Gardening Supervisor

Posted by Casey's Mom on 24 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

We are finally enjoying a nice warm weekend, and I was out all day working on the garden. Casey spent part of the afternoon outside too, watching me plant the flower pots and calling out to the outdoor birds. 

caseygardening_1_zps3f8da084.jpg

• Bettyboop, cnyguy, Bene_Gesserit and 3 others like this

#640906 Ralph Has A New Favorite Toy

Posted by cnyguy on 26 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

This is Ralph's new favorite plaything-- a jar of mustard seed which he pulled out of the spice rack in the kitchen. He has chewed a little on the plastic top, but mostly likes to hear the sound the seeds make when I shake the bottle. He'll sit on my shoulder and listen to that sound for twenty minutes at a time, bobbing his head in approval. laugh.png Attached File  mustardseed.JPG   59.06KB   0 downloads

• murph, Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and 2 others like this

#641788 Sibling Quarrel

Posted by easttex on 27 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

Hmmm, kind of sounds like a territorial dispute. Did anyone plant a flag on your leg?
  • Casey's Mom, msdani1981, Bene_Gesserit and 1 other like this

#641523 Ralph's Latest Obsession

Posted by cnyguy on 10 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Recently, Ralph has become fascinated with the automatic dishwasher. ohmy.png I can't quite understand why he finds it so interesting. Every time he comes out of his cage, we have to go into the kitchen, where he points me in the direction of the dishwasher (by staring intently at it, then bobbing his head). So I have to open the dishwasher door so Ralph can look inside (while it's not running, of course). Repeat process a dozen or more times. laugh.png Last night while we were inspecting the dishwasher, I put a used coffee mug inside, so then we had to double-check to make sure it was still in there. biggrin.png It never ceases to amaze me what will capture the attention of a parrot.

• Bene_Gesserit, Cindi&Jeriel, Sharyn and Mr Piggy and 1 other like this

#641169 Mr P Flew Into The Kitchen

Posted by LindeeV on 09 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

When he's in the towel, and your BF is holding him, just flip the tail end of the towel over his head so he can't see who is clipping him. Then he won't know WHO to be mad at!!!

wink.png

• Casey's Mom, msdani1981, Cindi&Jeriel and 1 other like this

#641093 Charlie, Oscar And I Are Building A Nest!

Posted by LindeeV on 06 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

For the past few days Charlie and Oscar have acted like they needed a project....they've been moving toys around and rearranging things....

It occurred to me that they may have the instinct and the desire to build nests, but because they weren't raised in a Quaker Family Unit, they may not have learned the SKILLS to build nests.

So, as their surrogate mother, I decided it was my job to help them develop their nest building skills. I gathered up an assortment of sticks, twigs and vines and piled them on top of the cage. Then I started *building* a nest by weaving sticks and vines through the bars of the cage, describing what I was doing as I went along.

They watched and listened very intently, and being Quakers, it took them about fifteen seconds to develop an opinion about what I was doing wrong. They both started criticizing my work and advising me on how to do it THE RIGHT WAY. Within a couple of minutes, Charlie had taken the stick out of my hand and was showing me how to do it, and Oscar was pulling one of the twigs out of my nest so he could rearrange it.

When I left to come to work this evening, they were both busy collaborating on design elements on The Quaker Nest Project. They didn't even notice when I left.

I'm curious to see how a Quaker nest built by a committee will turn out. tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png

• Jan Cullen, Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and 1 other like this

#641078 Have I Mentioned Lately....

Posted by msdani1981 on 06 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

How much I love you all on this forum????

It's such a breath of fresh air to be able to come here after a stressful day (or couple of hours), and unwind....thank you all so much, for making this such a great and supportive forum.

• cnyguy, Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and 1 other like this

#640841 Connie Arguing About Food In "spanish" (Video)

Posted by Connie_Coco on 19 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

He's mimicking me when I complain about him knocking his food down lol. tongue.png biggrin.png

• Oteyspeople, Allee, CaptainNapalm and 1 other like this

#639148 Simple Fun Ways To Manipulate Your Human

Posted by Allee on 05 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Humans constantly worry about our diets and health. Creative parrots can use any food as an effective manipulation device. 
Let's start with breakfast foods. Soft food is versatile and has many uses. Never waste a bit. When your human brings you a bowl of warm soft food, don't always eat it or play in it. About once a week, examine the food and no matter how good it looks or how much you want it, look at it with contempt, then walk away without taking a single bite. Go slump on your perch while looking starved and disappointed. Slick down your feathers to make yourself look skinnier than you really are. Give your human the stink eye so he or she will try to do better in the future. On other days, dive right into that soft, mushy, messy stuff and make good use of it. Fill your beak with oatmeal, then vigorously shake your head and sling wet food everywhere. Rub what's left on your beak, on your perches and toys and the bars of your cage. Small, soft items like peas, grapes, corn and cooked rice make great projectiles and if thrown correctly will stick to walls, cages, furniture and dogs, if you have them. Later you can laugh at the dogs while they are getting the food brushed out of their hair. If you are lucky enough to get pomegranates, act delighted and let your human see you eat some so they will get you more. The kernels are fun to pop in your beak and the seeds taste great. They also make good ammo and stick to almost anything. 
Pasta is another favorite, especially when it's covered in red sauce. When you get this special treat, eat what you want, proclaiming loudly how much you love it and want it for dinner more often. When you are done eating, climb into the bowl and squish the pasta and sauce between your toes, get some on your face and feathers, then climb all over your cage, leaving a trail of sauce to dry on your toys and perches. Use any leftover spaghetti to decorate your room. Let dry. It will pay off later. 
Most well kept parrots have a constant supply of pellets. These too can be used to your benefit. Eat a few, they're good for you. When you get a fresh bowl, put some in your water bowl to soak. Colored pellets are best, but if you don't get colored ones, you can add dyed toy parts to your bowl, this adds lovely colors to the water and will make your human scratch it's head in confusion. If you happen to be a large parrot you can tuck a few wet pellets into your feathers, under your wings and in the feathers on your breast. When your human finds them, he or she will think you have an eating disorder and you will get an even better menu. Don't do this too often or you'll find yourself in a travel cage on the way to a vet. When you are done tucking pellets into your feathers, go stir the contents of your water bowl, add some spinach or whatever you have a lot of. Poop in your water bowl. Poop soup is time sensitive because if your human walks by and sees it, he or she will take it away before you finish your fine art project. Fresh food doesn't stay in your cage too long either and should be used quickly. If your human is near enough, while you are busy, watch them closely and if they show signs of losing patience with you, offer them a small bite of food, if they refuse the offered goodie, climb to their shoulder and put it in their ear, their hair, or stuff it up their nose, or put it down their shirt. If they aren't amused, make kissy sounds, turn your head to the side and look like you don't have a clue what they could possibly be upset about. 
Dry food doesn't stick to surfaces and turn to concrete like soft food but if you are feeling energetic and creative, it still has it's uses. Dry food is much noisier than soft food. Our human cleans our cages every evening after dinner. If you have used your soft food wisely it will be dried on your toys, your perches, your cage and you. While your human is scrubbing, washing, cleaning, changing paper, scraping and mopping food off the walls and floors and giving you a bath, use the time for bonding. Give your human lots of attention, ride on their shoulders and play with them, work on their hair, remove buttons, strings or anything unsightly and keep it for yourself. If you are a re-homed bird or even if you're not, bite the human occasionally and they will reward you by saying something stupid like, "What's wrong with my angel? What are you upset about, Little Precious? How can Mommy or Daddy make it better?" 
When you return to your immaculately clean cage, it's a good time to inventory your things. If you would prefer a different kind of perch, chew the old one and pretty soon your human will think it's unsafe and replace it with a new and improved one. Same with toys. Now that your cage is clean, you will probably have a bowl of fresh water and a bowl of dry foraging mix. If you want more time with your human, splash all the water in your bowl all over yourself and your clean cage. A cup of water instantly becomes a gallon of water if you spread it around. Most humans will not allow you to sleep in a wet cage and they will come back to clean and dry everything, including you. Now you can look wet and pitiful. This will get you extra attention.
Now the dry food, turn your head sideways and dig down to the bottom of the bowl, a quick flick of the neck will push the food over the edge of the bowl. You'll know when you've practiced this technique to perfection by how far you can make the food travel. The first step will remove most of the food from the bowl , and the food will make a magical noise when it hits the floor, the walls and your neighbors, it will also decorate the fresh, clean paper in the bottom of your cage. Use your foot to pick up the remaining food and throw it with your fist as hard as you can. Banana chips make great shovels for those tiny pieces. When the bowl is completely empty, call your human while staring into your empty bowl with a bewildered, innocent look. Most of them will put a little more food in your bowl so you don't go to bed hungry. Repeat. Your human will think you hate your food and try to find items that you will actually like and hopefully swallow. This is how we got, popcorn, star anise, cinnamon and sesame sticks, crazy corn, and an occasional almond added to our menu. Your human can be trained to bring special treats to you and feed you from his or her fingers. Really well trained humans will now sit in a chair by your cage and read you a bedtime story. When that happens, celebrate, pat yourself on the back, you've done well. By now you should be exhausted from working so hard and be ready for sleep. Don't let your humans off easy, make them cover your cage, turn off the lights, TV's and stereos, close the curtains, and tell you good-night. Even if you don't talk to your human, you should learn to say, nite nite, sweet dreams or something cute like that, this will get your human to run to your cage, tell you how smart you are and generally make fools of themselves. Humans can be loveable and entertaining. They will also wake in a good mood the next day and want to make you as happy as possible. 
All these methods have been tested on our human and we have found them to be successful. A well trained human is such a rewarding experience. Good luck with your training. 
Popeye, Zeke and Harry 
  • cnyguy, Bene_Gesserit, Oteyspeople and 1 other like this

#635494 Getting Kiwi Back After Almost Two Years...

Posted by Kiwi is Very Green on 23 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

I got Kiwi in 2005. In 2011, my husband and I separated, and I was not able to bring him to the apartment where I moved. I moved in with my boyfriend, near the end of 2012. About two weeks ago, Kiwi moved in Posted Image For nearly two years I did not have Kiwi, and during this time, I barely saw him. I would occasionally go to my ex's house to drop things off, pick things up, etc. However, when I did go there, I didn't visit with Kiwi because it actually hurt me too much-- I missed him, and I was too sad that I wasn't able to bring him with me. My ex did not interact with him on the level that I do. He would talk to him sometimes, and sometimes take him out of the cage, but overall, there wasn't too much interaction. Anyway, it seems that after almost two years, Kiwi remembered exactly who I am. I visited with him two times before I took him back with me, just to see how he would react, and get him used to being with me. Kiwi, who has always been very selective in terms of who he decides to like, immediately cuddled up to me, and enjoyed his head scratches. Posted Image Upon bringing Kiwi home with me, he immediately settled in, and took quite a liking to my boyfriend! The most amazing part is that Kiwi uses all the words and sounds that he would make, back when he was with me, prior to 2011. Immediately, he went back to imitating my laugh, as soon as I laugh; pretending to take a dramatic breath in, as I normally do that before I attack him with kisses; whispering his name; mumbling birdie language when I have him sitting on me while I'm trying to have a conversation; and more. The size of a bird brain is quite small, but the information and memory that is retained is amazing! I am so thrilled to have Kiwi back with me. I also have a Maximillian Pionus and a Meyers. The Pionus will be moving in with me soon enough, and the Meyers, who adores my ex (for some reason, lol), will be staying with him.
  • Otisandskittles, Bene_Gesserit, Rexley and Molly and 1 other like this

#635167 You Know You're A Bird Person When ...

Posted by Jan Cullen on 05 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

You never get to sleep in.
You buy fruit and vegetables for the birds from a greengrocer and you check every item carefully - you buy your own fruit and vegetables from the supermarket.
You can only sit down and have breakfast once you have organised the birds' breakfasts - you come last in the eating line.
No phone calls must be made when quakers are having their special time with you - they hate phones as your attention should be on them.
You shall speak to no-one except quakers when they are out of the cage - if you dare attempt to speak to someone, quakers will shout you down.
You shall not attend to the cockatiels first - if by accident you do, you will get an almighty chomp to remind you of who is boss.
  • DebraH, DexterTheQuaker, Bene_Gesserit and 1 other like this

#641650 Pet Sitter, Board Or Cart Him With Me?

Posted by Sharyn and Mr Piggy on 17 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Thank you for the suggestion and the offer of digging someone up in Jax.. I actually got in touch with the local vet and there is a tech there who does pet sitting. She has had experience with parrots before. I spoke to her at length, and we are going to set up a time for her to come over here next week and meet Mr P.  If she doesnt work out, I have one other vet I can call.

the beauty of this one is, even though it's not an avian vet, it's about a mile from my house. This makes it really convenient for the tech to stop by my house on her way to work and on her way home.

I am not sure what she is going to charge me yet, we'll talk price after she meets Mr P and I see how they are going to do together.

• Casey's Mom, Cindi&Jeriel and easttex like this

#641549 The Kindness Of Skye

Posted by Fig on 12 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

Yesterday I had a terrible, terrible headache. I came home from my volunteer job at the zoo, got into my nightgown, darkened the room, took my pain pill and lay down. My little Blue Man comes over to me and croaks  "I love you".

Could there be any better medicine than that?

• Bene_Gesserit, Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#641253 Saying Something That I Didn't Teach Him!?

Posted by cnyguy on 14 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

I thought of the same commercial that Siobhan mentioned. biggrin.png On another parrot forum I belong to, there's a CAG who learned to say "But wait! There's more!" from TV. laugh.png

Parrots don't necessarily forget words they learned in the past that they no longer hear repeated. My old YCA George sometimes would come out with something he hadn't said for years. And some parrots only need to hear a word or phrase once before learning it and repeating it. However he learned it, the answer to Mr. P's question is obviously "yes." smile.png

• Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#641070 New Cage For Mr P!

Posted by Sharyn and Mr Piggy on 05 May 2014 - 02:44 PM

So, Mr P seems to like his new cage so much he's going to sleep in it tonight. I thought it would take days but he climbed right over and then right in!

Attached Files

• Attached File  01.jpg   141.15KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  02.jpg   145.93KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  03.jpg   172.66KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  04.jpg   219.32KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  05.jpg   225.64KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  06.jpg   203.7KB   0 downloads

• Casey's Mom, cnyguy and Allee like this

#640857 Long Drive To A Small Birdshow.

Posted by Sharyn and Mr Piggy on 21 April 2014 - 08:38 AM

LOL which is EXACTLY why I am dragging my boyfriend with me next weekend. No telling what I'd come back with if I went alone. I actually tried to talk him out of coming with me at one point so I could *accidently* bring something live home but he steadfastly refuses to let me go by myself which is a good thing!

Good luck to your "mom's" new additions, let us know when they become yours :)

• Connie_Coco, Allee and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#638926 Cage Top Playgrounds

Posted by Gypsie&Tango on 25 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

i agree that play stands can be made cheap - thats what i did... I took a big branch that fell off a citrus tree in my mothers orchard and bolted it (reinforced) to an upturned table and it cost me about $30 to do... (wheels, bolts, reinforcing bit of timber etc) here is a pic of it Attached File  357.jpg   224.35KB   0 downloadsAttached File  338.jpg   288.41KB   0 downloads  :-)

• Bene_Gesserit, Oteyspeople and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#635504 Jade Saves The Day

Posted by Chipper on 24 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hello. These posts make me want to share a story about Stanley, too. She likes to sit on her play stand and looks out the dining room window every day. One afternoon, she became upset--alarm! ALARM! I ran to her and picked her up, but she did not stop giving the alarm. I didn't know what she was so upset about, so I looked around the room and then out the window. I saw our neighbor in a stand-off with an angry, strange dog. The dog was charging at her, baring it's teeth and growling for no reason--the woman was just out gardening in her yard. I ran outside and we both shouted for the dog to go home. The dog then began growling/showing teeth at both of us. We finally found it's owner--a yard worker in the neighborhood had let it roam freely. He put it into his truck at our STRONG request. Stanley recognized danger in the neighborhood! The neighbor was grateful! Quaker parrots are WONDERFUL!
  • Otisandskittles, Bene_Gesserit and Cmenke2 like this

#635165 You Know You're A Bird Person When ...

Posted by Siobhan on 05 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

I find myself doing things almost every day that I'm pretty sure normal people don't do or would even think of.

Today I laid newspapers on the floor under Ringo's favorite window to sit in because I'm tired of scrubbing starling poop up off the floor. I already put paper towels on the windowsills for the same reason. Almost everything in that room is draped with towels, because it's easier to wash towels and replace them than to get starling poop off my dresser and piano and things.

Also today, I walked round and round the house carrying a double picture frame that has photos of my brother and me, taken when each of us was about 2 or 3. We're 13 years apart and those two photos are the only ones who show any family resemblance between us because of the age gap. The reason I walked round and round was I was trying to find a place to put it that Maggie is unlikely to choose for a roosting spot. A pigeon landing on a picture frame is a bad idea, for obvious reasons. LOL

I changed my shirt when I got home from church, not because I care if they poop on that sweater -- I'm an expert at getting bird poop out of things -- but because they might catch their toenails in it.

So, in the spirit of Jeff Foxworthy's You Might Be a Redneck If ...

You might be a bird parent if ...
You determine the placement of items in your home based on where your bird(s) likes to hang out.
You dress yourself for their convenience and comfort instead of yours.
Your cleaning schedule is based on their poop schedule.
You have to wash curtains every few days.
You keep the paper towel companies in busines.

Anyone have some to add?
  • DebraH, Bene_Gesserit and Cmenke2 like this

#632779 Abused Quaker Rescued

Posted by Jefahfah on 20 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Ok, just got back from the vet and he says there appears to be no sign of infection and it shouldn't need any topical cream to help it heal. Her weight is good, mouth is clean and nice feather color. He said her feet are a little dry but a better diet should improve that.

As far as at home over the past couple days I've been working with her and she has already stopped biting. She will sit up on the perch and when she is hungry she will flap her wings and I will get her to step up and take her to the food. When she is done she will come nibble my hand, step up on my finger and I'll put her back on the perch. Last night she made happy noises and figured out how tasty millet is.

Thanks to everybody for your concerns and advice. Clover will be alright and I'll post some update photos in a few weeks when her head is all healed Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Otisandskittles, breemom and Cmenke2 like this