MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Proper Cage Cleaning (Any Tips!?!)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Miss_Pandamoanium

Miss_Pandamoanium

Adv Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hi, so I want to keep Scooters cage as CLEAN as possible. As of lately, I do a morning and evening change, and minor maintenence throughout the day - frequent water and food changes-

I was wondering, lately when I've been cleaning her cage, I thoroughly scrub it down once a week by taking it into my garage, scrubbing it down *I use dawn dish detergent and super hot hot hot water* After thoroughly rinsing and using a soft (but firm enough to remove rubbish) bristled brush, I dry it down so no rust could potentially form and set it up again. It's safe using water on a cage and soaking it down, right? And liquid dish detergent? What type of brushes are recommended or not so I don't damage the finish to the cage?

I've found keeping old toothbrushes works great for scrubbing the perches, and those little nooks where the bars meet.

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

I just use plain water and a wet rag and do spot cleaning every day, or at least most days, so big cleanings aren't necessary. If the perches are really icky, and they do get that way, I take them out and wash them in the sink with a copper scrubby but still just water.

#3 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

a good disinfectant is good ol' white distilled vinegar. I add just a little in a bucket of water. I don't have to rinse and it disinfects the cage.

Edited by Sandi Kiwis Mom, 18 January 2010 - 01:29 PM.
to correct my grammar....LOL

#4 Miss_Pandamoanium

Miss_Pandamoanium

Adv Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thanks you guys :) Vinegar would be a good alternative for cleaning!

#5 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

Vinegar is a great cleaner, but metals hate it. Be sure to rinse well, to prevent rusting. ;)

#6 Miss_Pandamoanium

Miss_Pandamoanium

Adv Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:26 AM

Vinegar is a great cleaner, but metals hate it. Be sure to rinse well, to prevent rusting. Posted Image

#7 LuvMyHarley1

LuvMyHarley1

Harley's Mom Julie

• Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:35 AM

Well that is what I was going to suggest also was the vinegar....

sounds like you clean your more than I clean mine..I mean Harley's... :lol: but his cage does not stay dirty..it gets good cleaning also.... :)

#8 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:14 AM

I use the steel wool, I like to avoid copper. Not good for the birds.

#9 Miss_Pandamoanium

Miss_Pandamoanium

Adv Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

I clean it everyday along with the rest of the house. I actually get excited about cleaning her cage.. !Not that I particurally LIKE having to hunt for her potty places all over it, and wipe those areas down better, BUT! She doesn't have a problem with me cleaning her cage at all. It's only her toys she becomes upset about if I try to move them, so I just do pan changes twice a day, and then wipe downs of the entire thing in the evening. I also have a three year old son, so it's crucial I keep my home as tidy as possible, especially with the addition of Scooter now. There isn't any reason why we all can't live together safely...an ounce of prevention is worth something,...I can't remember the rest of it! Now I just have to pick up more vinegar...I use it to pour down my sink drains and also in my dishwasher every few months to neutralize odors.. I have since ran out.

#10 Blondie

Blondie

Adv Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

Steamers are awesome as well. We clean cages daily and wipe them down and every week they get a good steam, all "water safe" toys get run through the dishwasher - this includes perches - we get recycled newspaper from the herald every few months so we have an endless supply, which is good because we can go through a paper a day easily lol

#11 Miss_Pandamoanium

Miss_Pandamoanium

Adv Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Steamers are awesome as well. We clean cages daily and wipe them down and every week they get a good steam, all "water safe" toys get run through the dishwasher - this includes perches - we get recycled newspaper from the herald every few months so we have an endless supply, which is good because we can go through a paper a day easily lol

I've always wanted a steamer...now I have a good excuse to splurge. That's an incredible idea...Thanks!!

#12 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

I use it to pour down my sink drains and also in my dishwasher every few months to neutralize odors.. I have since ran out.

I put about a table spoon in the dishwasher every time I use it. A lot cheaper than those spot removers.

#13 Rosemary

Rosemary

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

i spray Vinegar on dirty spots and wipe droppings off daily
change papers and wash the water dishes and dry them daily
i also spray all my birds daily it keeps dust dawn and mel loves it:)

#14 loriwoo

loriwoo

Adv Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

I use magazine pages for those spots under where the birds perch at night,, it is easy to grab that page out in the morning and toss it, rather than takign all the paper out before work,,

But on the OUTSIDE of the cage, I got one of those Swivel Sweepers, to clean the floor under the cage, it is AWESOME, quick, quiet, and effective, it swivels around the legs of the cage, gets the feathers, bits of paper they shred, the seeds and spilt pellets real quick and works on carpet, plastic or hardwood, pergo type flooring!

Love it!
Other than that, I used Poop off or similar because I dont' like the vinegar smell.

Lori

#15 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

I use unscented baby wipes to do minor wipe downs at the end of the day, just to get rid of food and dirt etc. but then when I do the big clean (which is always necessary even if you do the spot cleaning lol) I use a diluted vinager mix and I just spray it on and then hose it down (I hate the winter, it ruins my cage cleaning ritual and makes life more difficult lol) I know that Sunlight soap is harmful for them, but the dawn dishsoap should be okay! :) Casey's water gets freshened throughout the day and her dishes go in the dishwasher each night (it's nice to have a few sets of dishes..) I clean her papers out each night as well :)

#16 Miss_Pandamoanium

Miss_Pandamoanium

Adv Member

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:25 AM

I use unscented baby wipes to do minor wipe downs at the end of the day, just to get rid of food and dirt etc. but then when I do the big clean (which is always necessary even if you do the spot cleaning lol) I use a diluted vinager mix and I just spray it on and then hose it down (I hate the winter, it ruins my cage cleaning ritual and makes life more difficult lol) I know that Sunlight soap is harmful for them, but the dawn dishsoap should be okay! Posted Image Casey's water gets freshened throughout the day and her dishes go in the dishwasher each night (it's nice to have a few sets of dishes..) I clean her papers out each night as well Posted Image

That's what I thought...don't they use Dawn on wildlife birds after oil spills? Or do they just sponsor it...I'm going off a commercial I saw maybe two years ago..

#17 Jeepingchick

Jeepingchick

**Domestic Goddess**

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

oh boy :( yall would kick me outta your houses!!! i clean mine once a week!! and smoetimes strech that to 10 days! im horrible , i hate cleaning (anything not jus thte birds LOL) so its like pulling teeth! i always find something else that needs done to avoid it LOL! now with going to school , more hours than last year, cookie season and blah blah blah im a real bad person :S

but i do use vinigar and water!!!

#18 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

I use magazine pages for those spots under where the birds perch at night,, it is easy to grab that page out in the morning and toss it, rather than takign all the paper out before work
Lori

Great idea! I think I may try this. What about the ink though? Isn't magazine colored ink toxic to them if they get their mouths on it?

I use it to pour down my sink drains and also in my dishwasher every few months to neutralize odors..

Another wonderful idea. I will have to try this.

That's what I thought...don't they use Dawn on wildlife birds after oil spills? Or do they just sponsor it...I'm going off a commercial I saw maybe two years ago..

No, you are right! Posted Image

http://www.dawn-dish...vingwildlife.do

#19 Esther C

Esther C

Scampy1kat

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

I do the same as Siobhan. Wouldn't it be nice if you could litter train them????????????Posted Image

#20 loriwoo

loriwoo

Adv Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

The magazine pages have never been a problem for me, the ink does not come off like newspaper.

One of the pages is actaully "airborn" I put it into the cage bars and it is kind of wadded up in the bars, but sticks out into space above where the poopies would hit if they fell all the way to the bottom.

The other bird cage the paper is on the bottom right under the poopy spot. ALso, I dont' think they would normally play in that area, since it is the toilet area...

But anyway, ink does not come off the magazine pages.

Lori