MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Addition To Our Family!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#1 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Welcome, Camelia (Cami for short)!!!

a59e943e-532d-4d00-8dc0-ca9f94f37ec0_zps

AppyMare4174_zpsdc279997.jpg

AppyMare4175_zps850e2a0d.jpg

AppyMare4171_zpscd8dcf3d.jpg

AppyMare417_zps2bc0c221.jpg

AppyMare4172_zps382bea4a.jpg

AppyMare4173_zpsc63b1060.jpg

1196-11277.jpg

1196-11275.jpg

1196-11276.jpg

Edited by msdani1981, 09 January 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Cami is a (approximately) 15 year old Appaloosa mare.  She stands 15.1 hands (1 hand equals 4", so she's 61" or 5'1" tall at her withers (the bump at the base of her neck).  Her body doesn't look like much now, because she's filthy dirty and about 200lbs. underweight.

Here is her kill pen assessment (the person who did her assessment named her Beltane):

"Beltane is a white appaloosa mare. She was very dirty so it was hard to tell, but I think that she is a few-spot leopard. She stands about 15.1hh and we thought her teeth looked like she might be in the 15-18 year range. She is very thin and her feet are overdue. Although she is skinny now, she has a large build and will probably have a very nice big butt when she has filled out. She was very easy to handle and was well mannered and willing. We have no history on if she is broke or not, but she did brace herself when we acted like we were going to mount up."

Here is her assessment from when my friend Sue and I went to see her on Tuesday:

"Susanna and I worked with her, and she readily took the lead rope like a bit, and was doing spins on her haunches when she was asked to "neck rein" from the ground. It's pretty much guaranteed that she's broke. The only question is, will she be suitable for me to ride, and she's calm and quiet enough that it's a gamble worth taking. Nothing phases her, I basically crawled under her belly and she didn't flick an ear. We pulled her tail with no reaction. Susanna laid across her back, and she braced herself. She may need a refresher, but I have friends who can do that for me if it's necessary.  We poked and prodded her all over her body, to see if she's ticklish or sore anywhere, with no reaction whatsoever.  I hugged her head and she just stood there with her eyes closed, for about a minute."

I forgot to mention that she lunges, too. :)

I'm so excited!!!!!! :D

A side note...one of our members here VERY generously donated so that I could save her.  I'm not going to mention names, but you know who you are.  Thank you so very much, I love you. :)

#3 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Hi Dani and welcome to Cami - I love her name - so appropriate.  I imagine the bond between you both will be very strong as her condition improves under your watchful eye.  The photos of Cami made me cry - with sadness about how anyone could abandon such a beautiful animal to the kill pen and with happiness because I know she will have the best life with you.  Bless you Dani.  Hugs to you and Cami.

#4 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Thank you, Jan!  I'm so excited!!! :)

Her transformation is going to be quite amazing, and of course you all will get to see her progress. :)

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Congratulations Dani and Welcome Cami. The name fits her perfectly. Those photos break my heart. Except for the last one of two beautiful ladies with a wonderful future ahead of them! You're both truly amazing.

To the member who helped make Cami's rescue possible, many, many thanks.

#6 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

How exciting for Cami to get a new lease on life!! Blessings to you both!

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

It was really something.....for me, bonding with my animals is very important and I love giving hugs.  So when I was searching for my horse it was important to find one that would accept being practically molested (not in the perverted way, I'm just extremely demonstrative LOL)....when I reached for her head she very willingly put it into my arms and was literally leaning into me, snuggling as close as she could possibly get.  To explain for the non-horse people, most horses would have immediately thrown their head up, smacking me in the face...some would have tolerated it for a few seconds, but it is really a very rare horse that will allow a complete stranger to full-body hug its face, and actually enjoy and even ask for more.  That was the moment I knew for a fact that she was mine.  I knew I really liked her the second I walked in the pen, I was immediately drawn to her. smile.png

I had actually made the trip down there to see a different horse, and my friend Sue had to keep pulling me away from Cami to play with the other one. LOL

Sue noticed that during the entire day on Sunday (auction day) and the whole time we were there, Cami never worried herself into a tizzy, but she was obviously confused, concerned and resigned.  In the moment when I was holding her, she completely relaxed and we could both tell that she felt safe.  It was like a sigh of relief to her, and it was absolutely incredible. 

Edited by msdani1981, 09 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#8 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Camelia will be delivered this afternoon!!!  I'm so excited! :)

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

The poor little girl. Who knows what her life must have been like before. I'm very glad she's in safe hands now and I hope you have many years together.

#10 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thank you!  She's home, safe and sound! :)

#11 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hi Dani, how's Cami going?  Is she loving her new home with decent feed?

#12 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Cami is doing great!  I can't wait to go see her this afternoon! :)

#13 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

I spent some time grooming Cami today.  What a sweetie! :)

My friend Sue, the friend who went with me to look at the horses last week, is coming up later this morning and we're going to take Cami for a walk.  She's too skinny to ride (and will be for a few months), but hand walking will be good for her.  It will give us time to bond, too. :)

#14 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

Give Cami a big hug from me.  She is one lucky girl smile.png

#15 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:32 PM

I will, Jan! :)

#16 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

Holy moly, I have one happy pony!!  She's been getting food (in the kill pen and at home) for over a week now, and she feels GOOD!! LOL

I'll have pics a bit later, my friend has to get home (an hour drive) and get them uploaded. :)

We did a bit of grooming (can't do too much at once because I don't want to make her skin sore...she has no fat to cushion her bones) and she's looking much better.  She stood like a ROCK while we were de-mudding her legs, I really think she was a show horse at one point in her life...she's used to people fussing over her.

Then we took her for a walk.  She was ready to GO, and that was so great to see!  She was a bit naughty at first, but once we were outside for a little while she calmed down and was okay.  We stopped for a photo shoot (will post pics) and then went for a walk in the back pasture, which she loved.  We also passed a field with a couple of cows in it, and she was VERY interested in them when they came over to say hi. LOL

Also, she is in heat so she is NOT pregnant!  Yay!!! :)

The difference between the sad, dejected horse in the kill pen who just wanted to be loved and this happy, spunky girl who realized that her life is a whole heck of a lot better now is incredible.  I love it!

#17 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

I saw the photos on Facebook.  Human and horse looked very happy together.  She is certainly changing including her facial expression.  Good work Dani.

#18 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

1196-11425.jpg

1196-11426.jpg

1196-11427.jpg

1196-11430.jpg

1196-11428.jpg

1196-11429.jpg

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#19 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

UGH!!! My eyes are all sweaty now and I could barely see the last photo!

My heart is filled with love and compassion. Thanks for what you do!

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#20 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I love Cami's story!!! It's hard to imagine such a beautiful creature with so much life ahead of her was about to be destroyed. You're incredible, Dani. Thank you for saving Cami from an awful fate and giving her a chance at a wonderful life!!!