MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Marty's New Bowl

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

I got Marty the betta because I had found a spare fish bowl and, well, you know. LOL But it's one of those with the flat sides and getting him out so I could clean it, without using a net -- which I don't want to do, I always worry about hurting them, so I use a little glass and he swims into it very cooperatively -- is a problem. I went to Petsmart for bird food and they had plastic fish bowls for a reasonable price, so I got him one and put him in it. He's still deciding if he likes it. I thought it was the same size as Wally's bowl but it's actually smaller. But then, Marty's smaller than Wally. He still has plenty of room. Now, however, I have a spare bowl again. Which means I'm thinking someone ought to be in that bowl. And the female bettas were only $2.49. I wouldn't breed them, of course. I would put her in that third bowl and line her up with the boys but not so close that they would get agitated. The boys can see each other, but at a distance, and they don't seem to be interested in each other at all. I also got them some blood worms because I read that bettas really like those. The boys tasted them but kind of shrugged. I wonder if I could give them to Ringo. She likes meal worms very much.

I just found my post from when I got Wally. It was a year in July. I didn't realize I'd had him that long. Anybody know how long bettas live? He's very lively.

#2 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

If properly cared for, and I'm sure yours are I think they have a lifespan of about six years in captivity.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Really? That's marvelous. I'm very fond of them. Wally, especially. He always swims over to the side of the bowl to be sociable when I stop by to chat. And Marty's starting to do that, too. Marty was a little nervous at first, but he'd been at Walmart in a cup so he was probably getting tapped and startled a lot. It took Wally a while to get sociable, too. I got Marty a plastic plant when I first brought him home, and I was going to get him a castle instead when I bought the new bowl, but he seems to like the plant, so I didn't. Wally has a castle and he really likes it. If I go back for a girl tomorrow, I'll get her a castle. I suppose whatever they find in their new home when you bring them home is the thing they get accustomed to and feel proprietary about. Much like a bird. LOL

#4 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm so glad you got them out of those horrible plastic containers they keep them in. What will you name Wally and Marty's female companion?

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

I didn't have time to go back yesterday, so I'll do that today. I'll have to meet her first to decide what to name her. Last night when I said good night to the boys, Marty had wedged himself into his plastic plant and was already down for the count. LOL Wally's the only one who bothered to come say good night. I find it funny that they go to bed at a regular time every night, right around 10 p.m. Wally tucks himself into his favorite opening in his castle and Marty stuffs himself between two branches of his plant and they go to sleep.