MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Welcome To My New Little Betta

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

I picked up the little guy today.  He is now a bit more relaxed in his tank - I guess the size might have thrown him and thanks for the tip Siobhan about the silk plants - he likes hanging out in one.  Any ideas on names?  I was going to call him Kahn but it seems a very dramatic name for such a little fella.

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

He might be little, but bettas are fighting fish and he would probably enjoy a dramatic name. Can you get a picture of him? It's not easy -- they zoom around so.

#3 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

WELCOME HOME, Little Guy! You are a very lucky fellow. You have a great new Mom.

I still like Khan, but while you get to know him it would be fun to look at some other names. Lancelot, Herby, Larry, Kyle, Oy, Bubbles, Puddles, Scooter, Flash, Bryan, Conan, Arthur, Picasso, Salvadore, Quinn.

A friend of mine named her betta, Sushi. She is the manager of Wal-Mart's pet dept. She tries to make me adopt a dragon fish every time she sees me.

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Shark! That would be a great name for a betta.

And welcome to the little guy. He probably thinks he's won the lottery and moved into a mansion.

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

I was going to call him Kahn but it seems a very dramatic name for such a little fella.

Since he's little, that's all the more reason to give him a strong, forceful name. biggrin.png Welcome home, Kahn!

#6 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

My son had a Betta for years. His name was Jaws and he had a little "Beware of Jaws" sign in his bowl. The day Jaws came home, Cannon stopped eating fish, which had previously been a favorite. When I would give it to him, he would look at me with disgust and proclaim, "You don't EAT fish!!"

#7 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.  I loved the names but have decided to stay with Kahn - he is a very regal looking lad.  He is a lot more confident today and just loves his food.  He is still hanging around one of his silk plants for rest time.  He really is a lovely little boy and Shah hasn't even noticed him so no temper tantrums as yet. 

#8 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm so glad Khan's home and so glad you named him Khan. It sounds like the name is going to be a perfect fit!!

#9 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

I was going to say, when it comes to small(er) animals, who really don't know they're small, a good strong name is definitely appropriate.

Our first budgie was Arnold Schwarzabirdy (Arnie for short). biggrin.png

Edited by msdani1981, 04 January 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Mine are used to their names but I'm sure if I had consulted them they would have preferred more macho names than Wally, Marty and Petey. Poor Pete even has to live with a pink Cinderella castle and pink plants because I decorated that tank for Ellie, not a dragon scale boy betta. I'm sure your fish is very happy with his tough guy name. 

#11 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Aren't the dragon scale bettas gorgeous??  They're all pretty, I really like the crowntail, half-moon and dragon scale varieties. :)

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Pete is a very vivid, jade green color and shimmers as he swims around. His fins aren't as big and gorgeous as the crowntail boys' fins are, but he makes up for it with that color. My surviving snail is still hanging on, and when I thought she was going to die, too, I figured I'd give her tank to another dragon scale betta. But she's stuck to the side as usual this morning, and I think she might have eaten some of her algae pellet last night, so another betta will either have to wait or I'd have to buy another tank. LOL And another heater, and more plastic plants ... When I get out the algae pellets for her, Ringo goes absolutely berserk and steals them. She LOVES those. I was worried they weren't good for her, but wild starlings are scavengers who eat whatever they can find, and she's been eating them as long as I've had the snails and she seems to be fine.

#13 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

Humans can eat some types of algae, so why not starlings? :)

Hmmm....maybe as a snack sometimes, as they have garlic in them (not good for birds).

Fish meal, wheat flour, wheat germ meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, starch, dried bakery products, dried seaweed meal, brewers' dried yeast, soybean meal, fish oil, krill meal, spirulina, monosodium glutenate, garlic, dried A. niger fermentaion extract, DL-methionine, astaxanthin, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, l-ascorbyl-2--polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), sodium phosphate, inositol, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, vitamin A oil, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K), folic acid, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, disodium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cobalt sulfate, calcium iodate, blue2 (artificial color).

#14 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

I only give her a couple of bites, and I don't feed Simon every day. One pellet lasts her three or four days, usually, and she has peas, too. Ringo was interested in those, also, but only to throw. LOL My poor outdoor starlings have been driven to eating seeds out of the feeder with all the snow, and starlings can't digest seeds. They have a suet cake, but maybe they don't all know it's there. The sparrows certainly know it's there. Maybe I should put some of Ringo's cat food out for the starlings.

#15 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

LOL If you put cat food out, who knows what kinds of animals you'll have on your porch, asking to come inside!! :)

#16 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

Kahn is settling in really well.  He has started to use his little igloo - I sometimes see a tail sticking out of the end of it (it has entrances on both sides).  And boy, can he eat - I feel mean giving him so little as he just loves his food smile.png

#17 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

LOL I'm so glad Kahn is settling in so nicely! :)

#18 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:18 AM

Good for Khan! He has a good appetite already. I know he loves his new home.

#19 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

His little tummy is about the same size as his eye. He can't eat very much but they ARE very excited at meal time. If you give him too much, it'll just make his water dirty. So don't feel bad. Some people on the betta forum "fast" their fish a couple of days a week -- don't feed them at all! -- and I have not figured out what that is supposed to accomplish. Mine do not go without their breakfast and dinner ever.

#20 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

They told me to give him 4 pellets a day - I give him 6.  So will drop him back to 4 - 2 in the am and 2 in the pm.  The temperature has dropped to the low 20's today so am a bit worried about him (that's Celsius).  They wont sell me the heater yet - told me to wait until the end of February/early March.  Hopefully the temperature will start climbing back up to the horrid 30's soon.