MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Addition To Our Family!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#21 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

She looks VERY happy and a thousand times better already. What a little love and food can do is amazing. Now we can't wait to see how she looks a month from now when, we hope, she will have forgotten the ill treatment and focused on the love she's getting now.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#22 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

And some more photos:

1196-11640.jpg

1196-11641.jpg

1196-11642.jpg

1196-11643.jpg

1196-11644.jpg

1196-11635.jpg

1196-11636.jpg

1196-11639.jpg

#23 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

She looks fabo Dani - you have done an amazing job with her.

#24 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:15 AM

Thank you, Jan! :)

She's a work in progress...but we're getting there! :D

#25 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

Awww Dani, Those pictures are wonderful to see! Cami looks so much better already! :) What is she like to work with?

#26 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

I'm pretty darn positive that she used to be a show horse.  When I'm grooming her, she doesn't move a muscle.  When I'm kneeling by her legs, no matter what I'm doing (combing the mud out of her fur - which can't be comfortable - or just brushing her legs) she doesn't move. 

I've been working with her on leading, so she can get used to how I walk (I'm handicapped and am not very balanced in pastures and other uneven ground).  I know she's done Showmanship or Fitting and Showing in her past, and was good at it.  She walks, trots, stops and backs up immediately when asked and her haunch turns are nearly perfect.  I don't do many of the turns because she doesn't have enough muscle in her hind end right now.

The next step is to start grooming her while standing above her (on a mounting block) to see how she reacts.  I'm taking my step stool to the barn today, so we can start on that.  It will be helpful to have the step stool, because her mane is a bit wild and I want to get it banded (literally put it in a bunch of tiny pony tails) so it will lay straight on one side of her neck.  We'll also do more backing up, because that will help build her muscles back in her back and hind end.

I really wish she could talk, so she could tell me what the heck happened and how she ended up in the kill pen in such horrible condition.  But, she's got a great home now so I guess the past doesn't really matter that much. :)

#27 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Wow, that's so exciting!!! I have no trouble at all believing she was a show horse. She looks like royalty, and now she's being treated like royalty.
I'm thrilled your working sessions are going so well already. I can't wait to see this girl in top shape.

#28 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

LOL She does NOT like me standing on the stool! :D I was trying to hold on to her so I could climb up, and she kept moving away....she stood still once, and I got up there and rubbed her a bit, then got down and put the stool away. LOL Baby steps. :)

To help cement my suspicion about her being a former show horse, she doesn't mind spray bottles at all.  A lot of horses don't like the sound of spray bottles or the feel of getting sprayed with water, fly spray, etc.  She couldn't care less! :)

#29 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

God Bless those that rescue :) I am not a horse person but even I can see how skinny the poor girl is and how much she enjoyed the "hug" (eyes closed, nuzzling). That communicates itself no matter what the animal is. You are doing a wonderful thing here, Dani. Even with my poor knowledge of horses, I am thinking that Cami is still young enough to have a long, healthy life, with your help.

Can't wait to see pictures of her progress!

#30 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Dani has so inspired me with her story that on Monday I will be going to Horse Rescue to sponsor a horse that cant be rehomed due to one thing or another.  I can spend as much time as I like with "my" horse doing all the normal things one would do with a horse - except for riding as I am well past that stage of my life. Some of the horses there have had lives that haven't been so good.  Thankyou Dani, your heart's love for Cami has encouraged and inspired me to step outside my comfort zone and, for the first time in my life, love and care for a horse.

• msdani1981 and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#31 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Dani, Jan,
Both of you make me want to be a better human being! I wish I'd met you sooner!

When my sons where teenagers we had the opportunity to care for three horses for three years. We learned all the basics, my husband grew up around his father's horses. His dad is eighty one and still rides daily. We had a round pen and lighted arena. Our city boys learned to ride well enough to be dangerous. They agreed to enter a wild horse race (we were conned by an old friend of ours who owned "the wild horses" to let them participate in the event) Our boys were still arguing over which one of them was actually going to ride the horse while the horse was in the chute. Our oldest son lost the argument, literally fell over the fence, landed on the horse's back, hung on like he was born in a saddle, and won the event and a buckle the size of a platter. He's never worn western clothes and the buckle is in my memory cabinet. We asked him how he managed to ride like that, turned out it had nothing to do with skill, he just didn't want to be thrown in front of a crowd and his new friends. The four of us decided we just didn't have the right stuff for horses and when we moved from the ranch, we left the horses in the more capable hands of the experts. We found a wonderful home for our two rescues with a couple of genuine horse people. The experiences and the horses changed us all for the better. We'll never forget the horses or the people we met.

Jan, you are going to love your new adventure!!! :)

#32 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Allee, your story made me laugh! LOL I can just see him hanging on for dear life, just because he refuses to fall off in front of everyone!  But I would actually disagree with him......hanging on like that does require a bit of skill (or Superglue on his backside)! :D

#33 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

I remember riding in a "keyhole race" once (I think I was 18 or 19).....you start at one end of the arena, race down to the other end (over a jump, in this case), spin in a tight circle and race back.  Well, I'm really tiny (4'11 and less than 100lbs at the time) and I was so pumped that I completely forgot to hang on going over the jump.  The movement of the horse, and my center of gravity changing pushed me back and I ended up sitting on the horse's rear, behind the saddle, clinging to the saddle horn for dear life. LOL I had my arm stretched out in front of me, so I wouldn't hurt the horse's mouth and was literally laying on the saddle.  I really thought I was going to fall off going over the jump the second time, on the way back...but I didn't.  It was hilariious!!! biggrin.png

Edited by msdani1981, 23 January 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#34 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Just to give an idea of how skinny she really is....

A horse at a good weight:

Splashmark_zps2d80da36.jpg

And Cami:

1196-11425.jpg

Edited by msdani1981, 23 January 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#35 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

I've never seen a keyhole race but I can easily see you behind the saddle with your arm stretched out so as not to hurt the horse's mouth. Great description. I feel like I've seen a keyhole race.

My son would thank you for the compliment. He was very proud of his rodeo buckle. We had some experienced people to help us. My boys Grandpa and one of their Uncles are very skilled riders. My sons and I learned to ride but we didn't do it long enough to get very good at it. We still laugh about it. How long have you been riding?

You and Cami have a lot of work ahead of you, but such rewarding work. I did learn enough to know how much work is involved in caring for and training horses. I truly admire all of you. And Miss Cami didn't want you on a stool working on her mane? But she has no problem with spray bottles. The girl has a story, no doubt about it.

#36 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:55 AM

I started riding when I was 8, as part of my therapy.  I was born with Cerebral Palsy, and developed scoliosis at a young age.  I had surgery to correct the curve of my spine at age 14, and my parents were concerned for my safety at that point so my pony (my grandparents bought her for me when I was 10) was rehomed.  After I healed, I continued riding much to my entire family's chagrin. :) I realized how worried they were, and decided I actually did care about their feelings, I think it was in my mid-20s....I stopped riding and gave up horses altogether.  Then two years ago I started seeing all of these sad, skinny horses on my friend's Facebook wall and I asked her about it.  She told me about Auction Horses, and here I am now.  I'm 32 years old, and still love them as much as I did when I was 8. :)

• Allee and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#37 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Awwww! A long time horse lover. I love horses and even had a connection with a few but I never had that special quality it takes to be really good with them.

You are the same age as my youngest son. I'm so glad you went back to riding and being involved with horses but I sympathize a little with your parents too. You just look so tiny beside a horse. I know that has nothing to do with how well communicate with them, some of the world's most talented jocky's are the smallest, but from a parents point of view I can understand a little reluctance on their part. :)

#38 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Oh, I definitely understand my parents' point of view. I have two steel rods fused to my spine, runnung from the base of my neck to my hips. If I were to fall the wrong way the risk is very high that my neck or hips would break.

That being said, when I was 17 I was crossing a street and was hit by a car. It was an unmarked intersection, and it was dark and raining hard. The driver just didn't see me. I spent 4 hours in the ER getting X-rayed from head to toe, and came out of it with a bad concussion, some stitches in my head and a chunk out of my toe (I think my foot hit the car's license plate or something).

I remember seeing the headlights coming and thinking "Okay, Dani.  You're going to get hit by a car, it's going to hurt like h***, but you'll be okay."  I was in the middle of the lane, standing there like a deer in headlights.  The driver saw me at the last second, I heard the tires squeal as he tried to stop.  The next thing I remember was one of my classmates sitting next to me, holding my hand. 

I had just parked my car and was going inside to perform in the first of a two-night choir performance.  I was scheduled to sing a solo the next night (which I did...then I took a week off from school to recover). LOL

So I figure, if my back can take getting hit by a car, as long as I don't do anything dumb (no more jumping or racing) , the risk is lessened. smile.png

Edited by msdani1981, 25 January 2014 - 05:01 PM.

• Allee likes this

#39 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Wow!! That's quite a story, Dani!! I'm so happy that you were able to recover from something that could have been awful!! You're a ROCKSTAR!!!

• Allee likes this

#40 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

LOL What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?? :D