MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

A Bad Week For Fish

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:28 PM

Recently, my betta Marty died without warning. I didn't see anything wrong with him, but one morning he was lying on the bottom, dead. This morning, I found Pete on the bottom of his tank. For the last couple of days, Wally has been hanging vertically, breathing at the surface. I've changed his water three times and put betta medicine in the water today, and now he's on the bottom, still breathing, but barely. I doubt he makes it through the night. He's the eldest and I've had him almost three years. I have a betta in the snail tank and I did a 50 percent water change today and he seems perfectly fine, so I hope he stays that way. I may just stick to having one in the snail tank after Wally passes on.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Awww, I'm sorry Siobhan! :(

#3 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

Siobhan, I am sorry to hear about the bettas but I know what you are going through.  There is nothing you can do.  I still havent replaced Kahn as I just dont know what went wrong.

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:12 PM

Wally died this afternoon. He went into his hidey, which he's always really loved. I thought that was touching. It was his safe place. He was my favorite because I'd had him so long and he fought so hard to hang on. Opie is still fine, though, buzzing around and tormenting the snails.

#5 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:59 AM

Awww, I'm sorry to hear about Wally. :(

#6 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. sad.png You gave them a good life.

#7 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

I am sorry to hear about Wally.  It is just heartbreaking to lose them.  Whoever says that fish dont have personalities has never owned a betta.  I still miss my little guy and the empty tank and accessories are still sitting in the same place they were when he was alive.  I just dont have the heart to pack it away. 

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

A friend has offered me some goldfish from his pond. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go that route or just stick with Opie and the snails. Or go back to Petsmart and get another betta and try again. Maybe if I set up another betta with a big tank and a filter like I have Opie in with the snails, he'd do better. It probably stresses them to have to be caught in a cup and taken out for cleanings and then put back in. I don't take Opie out to clean. I just vacuum the gravel and do about a 50 percent water change a week so there's constant rotation of water.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#9 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

That is what I ended up doing - a 50% water change and vacuuming the floor of the tank.  I honestly cant figure out what went.  Maybe it was just his time to go and that may apply to your bettas as well.

#10 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Siobhan, if you get goldfish be prepared to get a big tank (they grow to 2' long - over time, and if the tank isn't big enough to accomodate that they will die prematurely) with good filtration (they're very messy).

If I were you, I would stick with the bettas and snails.  Just my opinion. :)

#11 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

Think about what amazing lives you gave those poor little Walmart bettas, though. They had fresh water, food, nice accommodations, and a crazy human talking to them!!!

I think you should rescue more Walmart bettas.....you're already set up for them. smile.png

#12 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

Yes, maybe it was just their allotted time. I imagine you don't really know how old they are when Walmart sells them. I'm just guessing, of course, but I would bet they got nothing but the best of care from you.

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

i gave away the 2.5 gallon tanks and instead set up a 10 gallon tank I had here that I had been keeping crickets in for my leopard gecko, who won't eat crickets. I released the crickets into the yard, cleaned the tank, decorated it with the stuff I had for the three previous bettas, and bought a filter and heater and a new betta. I decided I know about bettas and I feel so bad for them in those little cups. You should see how he's acting. He swims and explores and ducks in and out of his hideys and just couldn't be more pleased with his new mansion. Since the surviving betta is named Opie, I decided to stick with the Andy Griffith theme and couldn't decide between Barney and Otis for the new fish. So I asked the birds to vote. I said "Andy?" and got dead silence. "Barney?" and Greta peeped. "Otis?" and Clyde, Jade, Benjy, Freddie and Maggie all made their various noises. So I said "Otis? Really?" and they ALL spoke up. So ... Otis it is. I don't think Otis himself cares what I call him because he's just so happy to have that big tank. I fished a few snails out of Opie's tank and put them in with Otis, who either hasn't noticed them or doesn't care. Next time I clean Opie's tank I'll fish out a few more. He's got too many and I might as well split them up between the two tanks. I haven't yet managed to get Otis to eat. He hasn't yet learned to come to the top when I open the lid to feed him. Opie took about a day to figure that out, and I just got Otis yesterday afternoon.

• Bene_Gesserit and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#14 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Welcome to Otis.  Good on you Siobhan for saving another little betta.  I just cant get over why petshops keep them in the smallest container possible - it is just cruel.

#15 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Welcome to Otis. What color is he?

#16 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Otis is a very rich royal blue, with a little bit of red on the ends of his bottom fins. Opie is such a light pink that I can see through his skin and see his insides, no kidding, but when the light hits him, he kind of changes colors like an opal. I thought Opal was too girly for a boy, even a pink boy, so I called him Opie and that's how we got on this Andy Griffith kick. Freddie and Ringo can both whistle the Andy Griffith theme (Freddie's rendition is horribly off key, LOL, but Ringo can do it very well). Today I was at Walmart and decided to get Otis a huge skull hidey, which he was very interested in when I put it in his tank. He examined it closely. Poor little guy, he is STILL swimming all over that tank and checking everything out. However, he's figured out that when I open the top, I'm going to give him something and he had a hearty supper.

I did ask a clerk at Petsmart why they have the bettas in those tiny cups and she said I ought to see how tiny the containers are that they arrive at the store in. Once they get to the store, they move them into those cups they sell them in. She said they do feed them (I doubt that Walmart does that).

#17 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:18 PM

Welcome to the Ark, Otis! :)

#18 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:28 PM

They aren't kidding about the bags they come in....there is literally a few tablespoons of water. Glad you rescued another one, sorry to read about your losses, though. :-(

#19 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Today I bought Otis a decent heater. The one I bought the other day SAID it was for up to 10 gallons, but it wasn't warming the water at all. I bought another one like I have in Opie's tank and it does the job. I also got him a picture cling for the back of the tank and a proper lid. All I had for a lid was a screen cover like you have for a lizard or, in this case, crickets. He has a glass lid now with a hinge. I've moved about a dozen snails from Opie's tank into his and he enjoys them as much as Opie does. He bumps them with his nose and watches them oozing around and seems to get some entertainment out of it, when he's not dashing from one thing to another and making sure he still has a 10 gallon tank. He also likes his skull very much. It's so big he can go all the way in and swim around and he likes to poke his head out one of the eye holes and survey his new kingdom. It's funny -- Opie took to his tank and snails as if he expected nothing less, while Otis acts as if he just can't BELIEVE he has this huge place all to himself. They really do have completely individual personalities.