MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Toy Parts In Australia?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 autojaz

autojaz

Adv Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering, where for the members in Australia (who make there toys) find parts for them.

Ive been to a few craft shops now, and could find some beads and things. But id like to know where you buy leather strips from?
Ive noticed a few of you swear by the online shops of like bird boredom busters, but the shipping to me is too expensive to ship here.

I figured going to hardware shops to find dowels and things and found those with success.

Thanks in advance. I hope to start making toys soon and will defs post pictures of the finished product :)...if they look any good. xD

#2 jobo2mi

jobo2mi

Here ... let me get that for you!

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Craft shops should also have leather strips ... beads .... ribbons ... plastic chains .... leather pieces (stars, squares, hearts, etc.) .... wood dowels ... possibly paper 'surprise' boxes (paper boxes filled with shreds, etc.) .... here in US we have craft shop called Hobby Lobby (dangerous place for those of us who make toys!!! ;) ), Michael's Crafts, a few other chains, but also some smaller craft/hobby shops that carry various toy parts (or things that can be USED to make toys)

Don't forget, you can also make toys out of everyday things you may have at home ... buttons ... ribbons .... wooden popsicle sticks ... plastic bottle caps .... wooden clothespins (without the spring) ... empty ink pen barrels ... plastic hair barettes ... just use your imagination ... watch your bird ... if he plays with it (and it's safe!) you can probably find more and make him a toy or two that he really can play with :D

#3 autojaz

autojaz

Adv Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Ive been 2 atleast 2 craft shops near my house so far and honestly am very disappointed on whats for offer.

Oh i didnt even think about buttons! Are ribbons ok? I thought you would have to be careful about them fraying. I got a really cheap shoe lace, how can i make it so it wont fray easily?

I bought some wooden dowels just before for my bird stand :) ill be sure to post pics haha! What things can i hang off it for toys etc? I got some paulie rope, could i bread some and make a little bridge and stuff with it to and from the perches?

Im going back out this afternoon to gather some more bigger beads and hopefully some thinner rope to start building a net toy. My bird will be spoilt rotten, my mum said he should be called his royalness for how much im giving it :lol: and I dont even have a bird yet, just getting prepared!

thank for your help :)

#4 jobo2mi

jobo2mi

Here ... let me get that for you!

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:51 AM

The plastic baby keys are pretty popular with a lot of birds ... also, plastic measuring spoons, plastic chain links, string Cheerios onto a shoe string ... takes a while to make the toy, takes them MINUTES to destroy/eat it!! LOL aaaahhh the things we do for our fids!

#5 autojaz

autojaz

Adv Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

Plastic measuring spoons ay! Interesting

Well my first attempt at my net kinda failed :( I muddled it up and lost it so decided to quit and will start again . But it was big enough to still be usuable :D