MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Jade Breakthrough

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:59 PM

I put a TV in the birds' room so I could watch videos, because I have a weakness for certain old TV shows that Hubby ... does not. Posted Image So I can watch my Starsky and Hutch or Partridge Family or Quantum Leap DVDs with the birds and multi-task by spending time with them AND watching videos.

Jade often flies over to investigate my snack of the evening and I usually give her a taste or the option of rejecting it, but she sits on Maggie's cage (which is next to my chair) to do her begging. Tonight I had ice cream and none of the birds likes that, though they usually swarm around to see what I've got before going on about their business. Tonight Jade flew over and landed on my KNEE. I offered her some, and she tasted it to be polite, but she didn't really want any (I know ice cream is not a suitable snack for parrots, but I also knew she wouldn't want any). And she sat on my knee for a few minutes and watched TV with me. This weekend, she came over and sat on my shoulder when I didn't have a snack, just to be sociable. I always expect a face chomp just in case, but I didn't get one. She pulled my hair and asked "whatcha doin'?"
  • Bene_Gesserit, breemom and Cmenke2 like this

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

I cant get over how she is changing - it is quite dramatic. You must be very proud of her progress.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Amazed is the word. This is all very recent, all things considered, because progress has been by such tiny increments in the 4 1/2 years she's lived with us. She's not at all the Quaker parrot who moved in with us originally and left bruises and wounds all over my arms when I cleaned her cage, and attacked me for even getting within reach of her. Now she kisses me and she wants me to chuck her on the beak (and occasionally I get to touch the top of her head), she follows me around the room by landing on the cage closest to me, she PLAYS with Benjy (!!!!!) and I can clean her cage including wiping down toys and the insides of the bars, and all she does is boss the job and make remarks (get to the POINT! What IS the point??? are her favorites, and then when I say "There you go," or "all done" she says, "thank you!"). I knew she has long wanted to hang out and be more like the others, but until she made up her own mind to settle down, there wasn't anything I could do but encourage her.

#4 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

That is really interesting that she has taken such a long time to feel comfortable enough to interact with you. Obviously trust is a big issue with her - you dont have any history on her do you? It is amazing that she has changed so much - and what really blew me away was when you mentioned that she is now playing with Benjy Posted Image and he has not suffered any further feather or foot injuries.

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Oh, she still grabs his tail and it is currently sporting some mangled feathers, but pulling tails is a favorite stunt of hers and she does it to anybody whose tail she can get to. That's what she's doing to me when she pulls my hair. I don't have a tail, so she has to make do. Posted Image It's an attention ploy -- HEY! Look at ME! and she doesn't mean any harm and I guess if Benjy minded, he'd stay out of reach.

I know very little history on her. I got her from a fellow forum member, whom I haven't seen on the boards for a long while. She and her neighbor both got QPs from the same breeder at the same time. Jade was a couple of weeks older than the other bird. Apparently at some point -- probably sexual maturity -- Jade got nippy, so the people stuck her in her cage and that was that, the best the other forum member could guess. Before that, she'd been a favorite of the people's granddaughter (and many of the things she says are said in a little-girl voice she must've learned from that child) and got lots of attention. They also fought in front of her, or within hearing, because she repeats things that are clearly her version of a couple arguing bitterly.

Then they decided to move away and they didn't want to take her with them. The forum member lived next door and intended to buy their house, so they left Jade in the house and left. Donnella took care of her, but she remained in her cage in that house alone (except for Donnella's visits two or three times a day) because by then she had turned completely wild. No touching and no even getting within reach unless you wanted to bleed. We are not talking playful bites. We are talking crazy attack parrot.

So, being crazy ourselves, Hubby and I drove about two hours to get her and two hours to get home with her, and here she's been ever since. As I said, the first months were a battle of blood, with all the blood coming from US. Posted Image Then Hubby started to make a little headway with her, and Jade occasionally deigned to land on his shoulder or sit on the arm of the couch as long as he didn't try to touch. Then she got so we could give her treats from our fingers (she takes even the tiniest tidbit very, very gently and politely). I taught her to let me clean her cage and clean and refill dishes by just gritting my teeth and letting her attack my arms, while I kept saying stuff like, "I'm cleaning your cage! I'm changing your paper! Maid service!" until she realized attacking me wasn't going to stop me and that in the end she had a clean cage and fresh food and water.

A year ago on her birthday (ironically, she's the only member of the flock whose birthday and age I am absolutely certain of), I took out all her toys and perches and swings, cleaned the salvageable ones, replaced the worn out ones and rearranged, and she LET me. She sat on top and bossed the job and I did ask her opinion of some placement ("Do you want this toy here? Or here? Can I put this swing here or would you like it better over here?") but she didn't bite or attack or object, and believe me, her cage had not been rearranged for YEARS. Nobody had dared reach in and touch her stuff. I knew then that we'd turned a corner, because while I was determined to do the rearranging and replacing, I was also prepared to end up with bruises and bloody bites. Posted Image I had not one bite or even an attempt to bite. And when I finished, and not before, I told her "there you go," which is what I usually say after the daily cleaning, and only then did she go in to inspect and give her approval.

#6 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Jade is one of my favs to read about, because I think her background/life experience is so similar to my QPs. I love it when she makes progress! It's so much more satisfying when we've worked so hard for it, isn't it?

#7 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Spiggy started to calm down a lot after 5 years ,or maybe jade doesn't like the taste of you anymore ;)

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

She was very chatty this evening and sat on her swing saying "peekaboo" and "thank you" and so on in a very cheery, bright way. She's got so much personality and is lots of fun even though she's not cuddly, and I haven't given up hope that someday she will be. QPs live to be 20 or 25 or even older, and she'll only be 9 on her birthday next month.

#9 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:39 AM

You have made such headway with her. She must realise that her life is so much better now. It is such a shame that sometimes parrots get left in their cages because people couldn't be bothered to understand their behaviour. Such a horrible life for them. Thank goodness Jade found you.

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Her cage -- and all the others -- is open all day long. I uncover and let them eat breakfast and then open the doors and they roam around in their room until bedtime. Even with the door open, though, Jade spends most of her time in her cage or on the perch on the outside. Clyde and Benjy hang out on the boing and the tiels roam around and steal the other birds' food, but Jade mostly keeps to her own cage and her own company. I've always thought being left in her cage for so long -- and it might have been a couple of YEARS without being let out at all -- did something to her mentally. From the very first day we brought her home, she's been let out constantly.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#11 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

In the time I've been here on the Forum, I've been able to follow all your progress reports on Jade, and a lot of the progress has come recently. Sometimes worthwhile things do take a while to accomplish. Posted Image It's almost as though after watching how the other birds interact with you, Jade was thinking, "I'd like to do that too-- but I don't think I'm ready yet."

#12 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hey Siobhan, I didnt mean to offend you. Posted Image That is not what I meant but I should have said people who keep their birds "locked" in their cages. I realise there are a number of people on this forum who leave their cages open all day so the birds can come and go as they please.
  • Cmenke2 likes this

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

You didn't, Jan. I just meant to explain that after she had to spend so long in her cage and without any attention before she came to us, since she's been here she's had lots of freedom and attention, as we try to make it up to her for the time she was neglected. I think she's a pretty happy little girl and I hope she's forgotten what went before.

#14 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:44 AM

I don't think animals forget what happens to them but how nice it is that she can live her life without fear with people who love and care for her - as well as having lots of birdy company. (Spike is currently running crazy on the keyboard which is making it very hard to type Posted Image )

#15 Cmenke2

Cmenke2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

My Quaker Angel who is now 10 years old has only been locked twice in his cage when young and no more. I can't see locking them inside anymore while I was at work. Angel handles being free all day but knows to stay on his downstairs cage watching from the window or sitting inside when he feels like it. He has a sleeping cage upstairs in another room he likes to play in or hang out in the upstairs bathroom looking into the mirror and will stay there sometimes for hours napping. He doesn't make any mess being outside when we were at work during the daytime and is always happy when we returned home, knowing all our cars and who is coming inside the house too. First my husband retired and the first day he was home Angel flew to him in bed looking at him totally surprised like to say..."You're not my mommy!" LOL. Now that I am retired since August 2012 Angel waits for me to get up in the morning, fixed his breakfast then first mine so he can share it with me. Then some of the time afterwards if I am on the laptop he will sit on my chest and nuzzle himself to sleep on me for however long I am sitting there very content. He definitely likes me being retired (took a couple of months) and really wants nothing to do with my husband but only tolerates his attention. Oh, except if hubby has something to eat Angel will look then maybe stop by to see if what he has is good to share with. My Angel is truly a character and we can almost understand what he wants and what he will do for me. His eyes somehow talk to me and his behavior tells me if he wants anything. And if he is bad for whatever reason he understands he did something wrong too and says "bad, bad". LOL These Quakers are truly unique creatures indeed but I love them.

#16 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Mine are confined to a bird-safe room (except Maggie the Pigeon Queen, who is not at all bothered by the bead curtain that keeps the parrots in; she just walks under it). If Hubby is cooking, Maggie has to be shut into her cage because she's not exactly graceful and might get hurt, and since she won't stay in that room, it has to be her cage. Though now that the weather's warmer, I can shut the door of that room and keep her in there without locking her up. It gets too cold in that room in winter if I shut the door.

Jade has lots of birdy company but she doesn't like anybody. She has warmed up to Benjy a little, amazingly, and they have some games, but her patience is in short supply and when he gets on her nerves, he gets his tail pulled. She'd like to be friends with Clyde but he refuses. She's very good at entertaining herself, though.

#17 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hey Cmenke2, how did Angel go when you first retired? If Shah even suspects I am home, he screams constantly until I pick him up. I hang out with him for a while and then he wants to go back into his cage. Then 10 seconds later he wants to come out again. This goes on all day long. I feel like a jack-in-the-box.
My face must have been really bad this morning because he picked at it for ever so long (it really hurt too) and then did the clothing and jewellery check out. I always thank him profusely when he finishes. I know he doesnt want his parront to look bad to the outside world. I nearly missed my bus because of this inspection.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this