MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Building A Cage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bell

Bell

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

My hubby is pretty good with wordworking/carpentry/whatever you call it and he's been looking for a new project. So when I brought Lola home he has been talking about building a cage for the three fids. But, having never built anything that has to be bird friendly before, we obviously have lots of questions.

We are thinking of a wooden frame with bars inserted, similar to a regular cage's bars. What sort of wood would be safe for the birds to chew on (at least from the inside, because we all know they are going to) but sturdy enough to keep them from eating through it and escaping after a while?

I would like the dividers to be bars or glass or something like that so the flock-mates can see each other. But I don't want any toes to get bitten through the bars or anything like that, because my conure can be something of a bully. Any suggestions on how to do that?

We've done some searching online for plans for bird cages, but haven't had much luck. We really love the "majestic enclosures" by Cages by Design. I mean, if you're going to have something that big, might as well make it pretty, right? But we haven't seen any plans even close to those around.

Anyway, any tips or ideas would be great!

#2 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

Here's my thoughts on building your own cages. Its going to cost you more in materials (if you can find bird safe materials than it will to just buy the cages outright.

If your referring to drilling holes in wood cross bars and running the wire/bars down through them the birds are going to chew that wood apart in no time even your hardest woods and then that would make escape very easy.

If you really want to make your own cage and have it wood faces so it is like furniture. You can get 1/2 x 2 inch fencing material and have the sheets flattened and then have them professionally powder coated then you can attach them to the inside of the enclosure but the birds are still going to be able to get to the wood that surrounds the wire.

I have several friends that have the Cage by design cages....And while yes they are lovely when you first get them... Unless your bird spends the majority of its time out of the cage, they're going to chew the heck out of any wood they can get their little beaks in. One friend has a big one for her Macaw. Well...you can't believe the damage that bird has done to that enclosure. Its not the pretty piece of furniture it was when she bought it.

As far as keeping the birds separate enough so that they don't get chewed toes etc and you want them all in one enclosure...You'll need to devise a system where you have a double wall of your wire with at least an inch (two to three would be better )between the two separate panels or have a plexi-glass divider which will eventually get scratched up from the birds pecking at it and scratching it with their toenails.

Maple, or certain types of oak, walnut, Hemlock are suitable woods for the enclosure, but then you'll need to worry about the stain you put on the wood. It can't be petroleum based.

I too wanted to have a nice looking wooden furniture quality enclosure for my birds but by the time I did all the research priced out materials etc. I decided it just wasn't worth it, especially after having seen the damage to my friends fancy enclosures.

Good luck with your decision, And if you guys still decide to build your own. I'm sure all of use would enjoy seeing your finished product. And maybe your hubby can come up with some tricks to show us to discourage the birds from chewing on the enclosure.

#3 Uncle Zippy

Uncle Zippy

BCON=Beer Coming Out Nose

• Members
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:08 AM

I worry about the metal cage material too. It's not just the wood that will be chewed, the metal will be too. The only real safe material for wire or bars is stainless steel. Do not use galvanised metal or zinc coated material. Lead is an obvious concern. If its not stainless, I would make sure anything I used was powder coated.

#4 night

night

Adv Member

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

I put some effort into this before and it was completely futile. Tossed it all in the trash. and bought a great cage for 150.
Honestly, he would be better off for this as a welder, not a carpenter.