MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Serving Size

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tari

Tari

I will always love you, Pooder.

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

I'm trying to figure out how much is a serving for Pooder. I am still trying to get him to eat fresh fruit and veggies and it seems that I'm wasting everything I'm offering him. However, I am stubborn so he should be wearing down soon. Anywho...when he does start eating the fresh veggies and fruit, how much is a serving?

Also, do I just offer fresh fruits and veggies a couple of times a day?

Tari

#2 Quincy's Slave

Quincy's Slave

Adv Member

• Members
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

With Quincy, I give him veggies, and quinoa or pasta for breakfast, maybe a little fruit for lunch and then veggies, pasta etc again at dinner. He has pellets in his cage all day.

There always seem to be a lot of waste, even if I cut very very small slices of something he still doesn't eat it all

#3 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:36 PM

With fresh foods, I keep the servings small, because the food can't sit their for long periods of time. I usually give about 2 tablespoons per bird and still have lots of waste. With fruits and veggies, I just cut up small amounts and spread them around.

#4 Animal Quackers

Animal Quackers

Michelle & Mark

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Yep, we waste a lot of fresh food here, too. I think that is a "bird thing."

I'd suggest that you limit the fruits to a couple time a week - not daily. The reason I say that is because fruits are high is sugar and fungi flourish in a "sugary" environment...both Drs. Benner and Orcutt asked me about the amount of fruit I gave to Cutty and suggested I limit it.

I realize that might have been a suggestion directed specifically to Cutty and not ALL QPs...so I hope the other forum members jump in with their thoughts. Nico LOVES nothing better than a slice of apple, so I do give him that EVERY day, but limit other fruits to two or three times a week.

#5 Quincy's Slave

Quincy's Slave

Adv Member

• Members
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

Quincy's vet has suggested he has a little bit of dark fruit every day such as cherries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. Because of his ongoing tummy troubles she felt the antioxidants found in dark fruit would be beneficial to him. Every bird is different though.

#6 Keke

Keke

Adv Member

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Location: Hermann, Missouri A little Germann town sets along Missouri River, Home of the Mayfest

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Carrie~Anne @ Jul 16 2006, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With fresh foods, I keep the servings small, because the food can't sit their for long periods of time. I usually give about 2 tablespoons per bird and still have lots of waste. With fruits and veggies, I just cut up small amounts and spread them around.
I also offer small amounts proble about three times a dat plus some days i give a treat

#7 miss1mouse

miss1mouse

Adv Member

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

I hope I'm not feeding my bird too much fruit! He usually has 2 or 3 grapes a day. Every now and then a slice of banana. He usually eats it when I give it to him, but occasionally he'll say "Tweety want food" then drop it when I give it to him. Is that funny to birds? wacko.gif

So far he doesn't seem to like strawberries or apples. Everybody else's QPs seem to like apples. Am I supposed to be taking the skin off?

I haven't tried many veggies yet. Just some carrots (shredded) which he didn't like at all. I'm going to try some spinach tomorrow. I usually have fresh in the house to make salad with anyway, just didn't know he might like that. Are there any other veggies that he might like? I love broccoli, but can't imagine a bird eating that. And if they do, do I serve it cooked or fresh?

#8 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (miss1mouse @ Sep 11 2006, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to try some spinach tomorrow. I usually have fresh in the house to make salad with anyway, just didn't know he might like that. Are there any other veggies that he might like? I love broccoli, but can't imagine a bird eating that. And if they do, do I serve it cooked or fresh?

Broccoli is great for birds!!! Fresh or cooked, whichever your bird prefers. Carrots can be cooked as well. Carefully on the amount of spinach you give your bird (no more than twice a week) as spinach can impeed the intake of Calcium.

Mashed potatoes and corn are a big hit here. As is kale, cooked yams, and peas.

#9 mjkermit

mjkermit

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:43 PM

cooked carrot is a big hit in our household as is mashed potato and sweet potato.

Kermit prefers broccoli and cauliflower raw though.

Kermit isn't a big apple eater either and as for strawberrie will only eat them if they are cut into 4s. Not haves or 3rds, 4s (yes I know very picky and very spoiled!!)

Also try plain wheat cereals. Here in Australia we call them wheet bix and they are just plain wheet flakes with no sugar, salt or preservatives. They are really good for birds my vet said and Kermit just loves them and they are easy to preper as you just pour them out of the box.

#10 LexDivinia

LexDivinia

Adv Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

We have had Gryphon 1.5 weeks and he is just over 3 months old (hatch date July 12, 2006).

Currently we keep a cup of seed/pellet mix and a cup of just pellets. The weekends he gets a millet spray.
Every morning I put out an apple slice, a small floret of broccoli and one cauliflower.
He nibbles the apple, but very little. He eats the broccoli, and prefers the stem to the crown. But he DEVOURS cauliflower. All of it.

After reading the Diet and Health forums and recipes, I think I should be feeding him more... ?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

#11 Marti

Marti

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

Max loves raw cauliflower and broccoli. He also likes cooked lima beans. I would like some feedback on how much millet do we give them and how much seed. Max has 3 bowls. One has pellets w/one nutriberry, his water bowl, and a fresh food bowl. I give him a about a 1/4 piece of millet when I get home from work daily. Is this too much? Just has Max for 2 months and this is really a learning experience. I appreciate all suggestions

#12 eagerknitter

eagerknitter

Adv Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:56 AM

Before I leave for work each morning Romeo gets a healthy portion (I use a square gladware top as a dish) of cooked brown rice and barley/zuchinni/yellow squash/brussel sprouts and carrots. By the time I am leaving he has eaten a good portion and the rest of it is strewn about the room! After work is apple time - he loves them! Then again before bed we do some more veggies. He also loves beans (black and red both cooked) and don't even get me started on raw green beans - he would go to the ends of the earth to get a green bean. I try to mix up what he eats and it has been fun trying new things and seeing his reaction. - Amy

#13 LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Adv Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:57 PM

So, in the morning you cook all those veggies? I'm fascinated by this - I'd love to know if you cook each morning, or make this up once a week or so. I'm always sooooooo tired (I have some serious health issues just now) and I feel like I'm neglecting everything, including my birds - so I'm curious how you manage to feed them so well smile.gif I don't eat that well myself!

Lee

#14 eagerknitter

eagerknitter

Adv Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:21 PM

Easy, I cook the rice and barley on the weekends and store in a gladware container and use it all week. The veggies are all raw so all I have to do is cut them up as I need them, he hasn't really liked anything that I give him that is cooked. Other than the Thai coconut chicken soup that I made for myself once it was really spicy and he tried it and liked it. Normally he doesn't eat what I eat (good for HIM!) but this time since I made it from scratch and knew exactly what was in it I didn't feel bad about giving him some. Trust me this bird eats much better than I do! Oh and eggs I guess that is the one thing he does like cooked, either scrambled if I have the time or just hard boiled. - Amy

#15 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (LeeAnn @ Nov 7 2007, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, in the morning you cook all those veggies? I'm fascinated by this - I'd love to know if you cook each morning, or make this up once a week or so. I'm always sooooooo tired (I have some serious health issues just now) and I feel like I'm neglecting everything, including my birds - so I'm curious how you manage to feed them so well smile.gif I don't eat that well myself!

Lee

I make up a big batch of brown rice, rice pasta/whole wheat pasta, bean and veggie mix (sweet potato, corn, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, kale etc.) every few weeks and freeze it in perfect portion sizes for Casey. Then each night at dinner I just thaw one and serve. smile.gif It's super easy (after the initial cooking!) and Casey loves it. biggrin.gif They say you can freeze it in ice cube trays, but I think it's tricky to get out of there so I just freeze blobs on a plate and then pack them all into containers when they are frozen. smile.gif

And the best part about it is if you make enough, you can have some too! biggrin.gif

In the morning Casey gets some cracked brown rice with veggies and some fruit (sometimes the fruit isn't everyday). smile.gif And of course some treats, like alomonds, pumpkin seeds and healthy "people food" throughout the day. smile.gif

Happy Cooking! smile.gif

#16 LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Adv Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:48 PM

Some day I will be disciplined enough to get up and eat before I leave for work...I feel like I've forgotten to how to cook. I guess I never tell too much about myself but I was suddenly single after 18 years and we raised six daughters...so...I hae no idea how to cook for "just me" (though my 19 year old lives with me still)...so, I'm learning all over again how to manage my time and stuff. even thinking of WHAT I want to eat is a real challenge.
(I think I drifted off topic here, huh?)

Lee

#17 Cosmo & Marti's Mom

Cosmo & Marti's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

I cook up a batch of rice, pasta, beans, and frozen veggies then put it in two serving bunches (serving for each bird), in a freezer ziplock. Put them in the freezer, i pull them out the night before , zap em for 20 seconds and sreve in teh morning. Only way i can do it, i'm not a morning person, so always in a hurry. The girls usually share dinner

Cosmo LOVES raw broccoli, and cooked cauli..amongst other things, also, yams, sweet potatoes, and fish! LOVES fish..she's weird, i know.

#18 qpfriend

qpfriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

If it something that can be spooned and frozen, I freeze single servings in ice cube trays, and thaw as needed. I use those dishes for birdie corn bread to, freezing pieces about the size of an ice cube tray, and breaking it up into tiny pieces. The bird corn bread is something he really loves - he will actually sit on a perch, picking up one little piece at a time, and eat till it is gone.

I have some bigger dishes I use for fresh fruits and vegetables. It doesn't matter how much the serving, as most of it will end up on the floor if he likes it, and stays in the dish if he doesn't. There is always a lot of waste except the corn bread, which he drops very little of.

The first time I offer something, he usually ignores it. I keep trying, and now he has a few favorites; corn bread, peppers, organic raisins, rice, plain brown rice pasta are at the top of the list. If I give him the pasta with a little sauce, he'll try it, and make horrible faces, and keep wiping his beak off on the cage, his dishes, my pants, and anything else that's handy while giving me dirty looks. (Sorry, but I like my pasta with sauce on it, and he tries it because he sees me eating it!)

One of the things I find really funny is that he loves blueberry yogurt covered sunflower seeds, but he picks the yogurt off, and throws away the seeds.

#19 Glowbird

Glowbird

Adv Member

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

It's pretty hard to avoid waste, slinging food is just too much fun. I look at the tray under Frost's gym after breakfast and wonder how anybody could ever figure out how much she actually ate. i know she's eating some of it, but hard to say what percentage! Fortunately, she prefers most things raw. The only thing I cook is sweet potato. I boil one potato, cool, peel, and mash with one ripe banana and the juice of one orange. I shape this mixture into small balls and roll in unsweetened organic coconut. I freeze it on a cookie sheet and then store it in a freezer bag. I don't give her one every day, so it lasts a long time.