MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Oops, I Did It Again

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

I am now the proud parent of two snails named Simone and Garfunkel. You knew I couldn't have empty containers lying around. Simone's the one on the floor. She (arbitrary) is the one on the floor. She'd just fallen off the plant Garfunkel's hanging onto.

Attached Files

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Awww, they're lovely!  And I love the names!  Just remember, since there's no algae in that tank you'll have to feed them, too... smile.png

Edited by msdani1981, 22 November 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Fear not. I bought algae pellets for them. Garfunkel has examined the pellet (I broke it into smaller pieces as the clerk suggested) but he's not hungry. Simone has glued herself to the side of the tank up at the water line and I suspect I'm right about her sex and she may be planning to present me with grandsnails. LOL

#4 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

LOL Well done! :)

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

I'm told by an aquarium keeping local friend that they will probably not like pellets and I should give them well-rinsed canned green beans. I'll try that tomorrow. I was going to put them in with the bettas but I'm told by betta folk that the fish might eat them if they're aggressive. I don't know if they're aggressive, but I don't want to risk having the snails eaten so they're going to stay in their own little tank. The same friend said if they multiply that I can "smash the babies" against the side of the bettas' tanks and they'll eat them. WHAT??? Can you see me "smashing babies"??? There's a more merciful way to control the population if they decide to be fruitful. They lay eggs in a sac and attach it to the underside of the lid. You can remove and dispose of that sac while the eggs are white and before they've had a chance to develop into babies. If it turns dark, they're already baby snails and not just eggs. I'm also told they're "very messy" and putting them in with bettas will make it necessary to change their water a lot more often. I do sort of hope they make some babies if they keep it under control. But they might both be girls or both boys.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

There's a more merciful way to control the population if they decide to be fruitful.

Escargots bourgignon? wink.png

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

ROFLMBO @ Cnyguy!!!! biggrin.png

Gary, you should have seen our discussion about seafood (lobster and crab) on Facebook a few days ago!  I don't think you'd catch Siobhan eating snails! LOL I do have to say, though, she wouldn't really be missing anything...they're rather chewy! smile.png

Edited by msdani1981, 22 November 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#8 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't think you'd catch Siobhan eating snails! LOL I do have to say, though, she wouldn't really be missing anything...they're rather chewy! smile.png

Yes, indeed-- sort of like eating a fried pencil eraser. laugh.png If they weren't loaded with garlic, they wouldn't taste like much either. biggrin.png They may be considered a delicacy, but once was enough for me.

#9 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Zach says to try feeding the snails peas and zucchini ("...the green part, preferably.  She can boil it for a few seconds, so it will sink, or put a plant weight through it.").

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

Simone has parked on the algae pellet and gone to sleep. Garfunkel has parked a couple of inches away and also gone to sleep. Their little antennae are waving gently as they snail-snore. My brother was astounded that fish sleep until I showed him that Wally had tucked himself into his castle and gone night-night. Wait till he sees snails sleeping. LOL

And Gary, I shall not be eating any snails, thank you very much. Ewww. At this point, that would be cannibalism. I have snail children now.

#11 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

Oh Siobhan, I don't think you should be let out of the house anymore.

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

laugh.png  I don't have to leave the house for this sort of thing to happen. A friend got hold of me on Facebook last night and says her daughter has a pair of lovebirds who need a home. They'd probably even bring them over to me. I am fighting the impulse to say yes. Somebody talk me out of it, quick!

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#13 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Lovebirds can be nice, but they're mostly bitey little monsters.  When I volunteered at my friends' bird store, this woman came in with a lovebird and asked my friend to hold him so she could go look at the babies.  That bird nailed him on the finger, and would not let go.  He ran to the bathroom and stuck his hand - bird and all - under the faucet to get it to let go.

I've also heard of lovebirds being extremely sweet...but I will never own one.

#14 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

I make no comment about whether you should get them or not except to say that the lovebirds I know about are sweet little creatures. I guess it depends on their nature.

#15 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

And Gary, I shall not be eating any snails, thank you very much. Ewww. At this point, that would be cannibalism. I have snail children now.

I understand. One doesn't eat members of the family. biggrin.png

As for those Lovebirds, keep repeating "Eight is enough. Eight is enough. Eight is enough... " smile.png

#16 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

Garfunkel and Simone are very cute. So are the names.

I only know one pair of Lovebirds. They have been in a pet store for the last eight months. I say Hello every time I go in. They are beautiful and have sweet voices but they are terrified of people. Of course, they are in a pet store so...

#17 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

I really think Clyde has reached the end of his patience with the steadily multiplying siblings and might never forgive me if I present him with two more. (He doesn't know about the snails!) As much as I would like to give the lovebirds a home, I'm pretty much at my limit. The bettas' water doesn't have to be changed every couple of days anymore now that they have tanks, but when I do, it's rather an ordeal. The snails have to be changed every day because they're slobs. LOL I have to change bird cages most days, depending on how poopy they've been. And I have to squeeze in a demanding job and housework and piano and flute practice somewhere. I think I'll pretend I never heard about the lovebirds.

#18 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

It's so hard to say no, believe me, I get it.  Unfortunately we all have our limits. :)

#19 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Not meaning to be the voice of dissent, but if you give up ALL the housework, you can probably find time for those two little lovebirds. laugh.png

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#20 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

LOL @ LindeeV......... :D