The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Incessant Flock Call

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hammysmom

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

I haven't been active on this board for a long time but am back for a bit of advise. We have a Quaker, obviously, and he does an incessant flock call to us nearly all day long with perhaps a 2 hour break here and there. Hamilton has a large cage in the middle of our greatroom with plenty of toys as well as a play perch. He pretty much is within eye shot of us all day. He's also right up against our sliding glass door to the backyard so he can see outside and all the birdies flying around. His cage door is pretty much open from morning till night and he has multiple perches with which to move around on within and and on top of his cage. I only work 2 days a week and the days that I don't work I get him out of the cage when I wake up (by then he's started flock calling already) and go snuggle with him on the couch for 45 minutes or so. Afterwards, I go about my day. We have a portable perch that I move around the house to have him be with me when I'm working in the office, and he joins us in the living room sometimes as well as the dinner table every night. The perch has a food dish that I give him treats in so that he can snack while hanging out. My point is, this bird is NOT lacking social interaction in anyway. 

The trouble is that he will literally call out to us all day long. It's one LOUD chirp every 1-2 seconds and can last for hours. He will even do it if he is in the same room as us but I am not looking at him or talking to him. It has been going like this for 3 years and only seems to be getting worse. I love my bird but I can't take 25 more years of CONSTANT flock calling. 

I took him to the bird store one day for some more food and he took a liking to a plum head so I thought maybe a friend would be nice for him. Well, once we got the plum head home he was mean to her, bit her toe nearly off, and STILL flock called for us non-stop. We tried to get them used to each other for a few months but finally had to give the plum head away to a friend because he was just so mean to her and I didn't have the time to spend with both of them separately. 

Am I doing something wrong??? How can I stop this flock calling??? I hate to try to diminish it by reducing the amount of time he spends with us because I know these are colony birds and need constant companionship. But I feel like my attempts to bring MORE social interaction and entertainment into Hamilton's life are only making him call out to us more sad.png He used to sleep in till around 8 but now he starts chirping at 6:30 so I can't even sleep in on the weekends anymore. Help, I so don't know what to do. His constant calling is just so stressful. And embarrassing. We can't have company over without constant interruption. Any advise???

#2 cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

You can try to change the way Hamilton calls to you. When he calls to you, respond to him with a sound or words that you'd rather he say instead of the chirps. You could whistle, make a clicking sound, or say something like "I'm right here" in response to Hamilton-- and do the same thing every time he calls to you. Eventually, he may substitute your sound or phrase for the chirps. It often works; Ralph makes clicking sounds now instead of squawking for me when I'm out of his sight. I don't know of any way to actually stop flock-calling; it's a natural behavior for parrots and is easier to change than to stop completely.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#3 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Mr P hollers "Baby" when I leave.  He makes a game out of it. He says it in a bunch of different ways, expecting I'm going to call back to him, saying it the same way he calls out to me.

He will say Bayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, bebe, baby (normal), sometimes just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy, expecting me to say the beeeeeeeeeee part.

Although this can get tedious, it's better than him squawking when I go out of the room.

I didnt teach him to say baby, but I have encouraged this behavior by laughing the first time it happened and repeating it back to him constantly whenever I leave the room

He decided to use it as his flock call.

Matter of fact, sometimes he reverts back to his natural quaker squawks when I leave and I ignore it. As soon as he realizes he's not playing our game, he hollers baby and gets an immediate response from me, no matter where I"m at in the house.

So, I know that what Gary suggested will work :)

#4 Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

When we left the room and Ocho flock called, I took Gary's advice. I would say, "I'm ok! Are you ok?"
Now when we walk out he will call, "OK?" One of us calls back, "Ok! Are you OK?" He answers, "OK" and will be quiet for quite a bit before asking again.

#5 CaptainNapalm

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

Put his cage is a place where once side (at least) is against the wall, this might give him a feel of more security, safety and comfort.  Sometimes it's the over interaction and hectic lifestyles as well as movement around cages from all sides that cause quakers to cry out often with what sounds like flock calls.  He might just be irritated about something else and he's flock calling to get attention or to have something changed.  My quaker was flipping out and flock calling when we had his cage in one end of the room more near where all the action was, when he was relocated to a corner against the window (yet still within sight) he settled down quite a bit and became seemingly happier.