MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Proper Cage Cleaning (Any Tips!?!)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Yah I think magazine ink is bad if they chew it up, which is why you're only suppose to use newsprint if they are known to chew up the papers.. but if you're just using it at night and they aren't chewing it, then it should be okay. :)

#22 phonelady61

phonelady61

Adv Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

Hi there I take my qps whole cage and put it in the shower and just run the shower for a few minutes and I do this once a wk and I also use a strainer in the drain and it gets really clean this way and a clean cage is a cleaner and healthier bird . Yes now the perches and the toys I use a dishpan and and paper towel and clear water . I bought some poop off but cant stand the smell it gives me a migraine for some reason .

#23 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

Hi there I take my qps whole cage and put it in the shower and just run the shower for a few minutes and I do this once a wk and I also use a strainer in the drain and it gets really clean this way and a clean cage is a cleaner and healthier bird . Yes now the perches and the toys I use a dishpan and and paper towel and clear water . I bought some poop off but cant stand the smell it gives me a migraine for some reason .

That's not good.

I love to run EVERYTHING I can fit, through the dishwasher.

#24 dualey

dualey

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

This is a great topic, answered all of my questions without me asking any. I'm going to have to get some unscented baby wipes now sounds like a much easier way to spot clean, anything to make cleaning easier.

Thanks guys, i love this site!

#25 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

The bird rescue I recently became familiar with recommends avoiding "Poop Off" and using plain unscented baby wipes - and they use diluted vinegar with a wet rinse to do a complete wash. We use Poop Off and a water bucket with a sponge or wash cloth.

#26 MissMaryMakk

MissMaryMakk

Adv Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

I've only had my bird for a week. I didn't realize that some people clean their cages so much. I change the paper everyday and sweep at least once a day, more than once if needed. Other than that she hasn't really made a mess. I guess her cage is large enough that there isn't really any build up. I dunno.

I like the vinegar idea though. :D

#27 jayde653948

jayde653948

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

I came up with an idea for the bottom of the cage today, after 18 years of having my Quaker. I am a Nurse and you can buy disposable bed pads for the bottom as it absorbs the liquod matter and can be taken out and thrown away as needed. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A BOTTOM WITH CAGE BARS ABOVE THE TRAY. Tell me what you think Please???