MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Is Nylon Rope Safe?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Is nylon rope safe to use as a bird toy? Thanks, Lyn

#2 gypsygal

gypsygal

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:35 PM

I have always been told no Nylon. I use 100% cotton or stainless steel chain I find at the hardware store smile.gif

#3 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I appreciate the reply. I remember reading about nylon rope and quaker parrots, but could not remember if I read safe or not. I can't remember where I found that info. Thanks again.

#4 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Nylon is probably not a good idea.. depending on where you purchase it, it's possible it was treated, which wouldn't be safe. Also nylon is very tough and doesn't break that well.. we purchase a 100% cotton rope from Parrotdise Perch that breaks SO easily, therefore they can't get tangled up in it. smile.gif

Hope that helps!!

#5 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:21 PM

Nylon rope is bad for several reasons. 1: its made from petroleum products. 2: It doesn't decompose so if injested can cause impaction, or it can cause lacerations of the digestive track which could be fatal. 3: Because its so stong it doesn't break easily and if it becomes wrapped around a leg or a toe can cause serious damage , also the edges are sharp and can cause a cut easily.

While I've seen many bird toys made with Nylon its not a good idea, and if you do have toys with nylon rope please keep a close eye on them and keep any frayed ends trimmed short.

#6 Quincy's Slave

Quincy's Slave

Adv Member

• Members
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

There is also a product called Paulie rope, you can buy it just about anywhere online. It's made of polyethelyne and is supposed to be bird safe. I tried to make toys with it once and found it hard to work with, it doesn't tie nicely into knots and is very stiff.

#7 Lyn

Lyn

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:22 AM

Thank you to everyone who has posted replies. Our new baby is still with the breeder, and my husband Bob is anxious to get started making toys. We have some nylon rope laying around, but I couldn't remember if I read safe or not. After reading these posts, cotton will be our main choice of rope. I am so anxious to bring home our new baby. It's hard waiting for the right time to bring it home. I know it will be worth the wait. Just tough to get through the waiting period. biggrin.gif Thanks again to everyone. I joined this board when we decided on getting a quaker, and have really learned alot. Right now I'm addicted this board. wink.gif