MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

No Sew, Completely Recycled Cozy Hide-Away!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DiscoQP

DiscoQP

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

I wanted to make Nugget, my new budgie at the time, a cozy place to hide in, but I was also feeling crafty!
I used completely recycled materials, so this was completely FREE for me to make..
I even had the letters from an old craft, and was missing a G... hence, his name is spelled wrong... But, he didn't mind!

Attached File  nnug2.jpg   73.21KB   3 downloadsAttached File  nug.jpg   50.96KB   0 downloads

Materials:
Ribbon
Plastic Letters
Old Wash Cloth
Cardboard
Shoe Lace (Cover top seam)
Hot Glue

I score a piece of cardboard so that I was able to fold it into a triangle.
I hot glued a wash cloth to the cardboard and had folded it into position.
I glued 4 seperate pieces of ribbon underneath the wash cloth on the side edges, so that these could be used to hang the house.
I glued the sides together to form a triangle, and then covered the seam (on top and underneath) with a shoe lace so that glue and seam wouldn't be seen.
I added the letters and a small bow I made to the front of the house, and Voila!

A completely recycled and cozy house for a small bird!

(Note: The glue was hidden and concealed so my bird was unable to get to it)

It turned out that Nugget was not a fan of it, but I had fun making it!

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Budgies aren't fond of cozies but both my Quakers love theirs and one tiel likes to use his for a fort. He doesn't sleep in it, but he plays in and on it. The other tiel ignores his completely. I wish I had one big enough for a pigeon. I have one pigeon who likes to hide under a table and peer out at the rest of us. He'd probably love a cozy.

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Siobhan, take a big coffee can (empty, of course) and wash it out well, then lay it in the cage with some washcloths stuffed inside. My linnie loves to run in and out of it, burrow in the washcloths, and generally play house in it.

You can do the same thing with a cardboard oatmeal box, but that's probably not big enough for a pigeon.

#4 DiscoQP

DiscoQP

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Aside from the cozy houses, Nugget seems to love all sorts of toys... where Disco my quaker doesn't seem to like toys at all (unless she is angry and wants to take her frustration out on something). Think I need to make her a cozy house..

Yes! You can always try a coffee can or you can even try out PVC pipe from home depot! They have piping in all diameters, that you could easily get a size that suits your bird.
I saw a car wash mitt (microfibre cloth with dangly bits all over) that looked like it would be extra cozy and would be easy to alter for a house! Could just turn it inside out and put through a PVC pipe and attach, or cut a hole through the top and have two openings! The elastic wristband could be folded over the edge of the PVC to cover the rough edges and secure the fabric to the piping.

I wasn't sure about the microfibre mitt.. I thought it might snag the scaley skin on the my birds feet and that doesn't sound like a good time! I do know there are other mitts like that out there that aren't microfibre though, so I may just have to go hunting for one now!

Edited by DiscoQP, 14 May 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#5 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

What is hot glue?

#6 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:16 AM

What is hot glue?

It's a hard stick of glue, that you put into an electrically heated gun. Press the stick with your thumb, to force it out of the tip. It cools quickly, and your materials are glued together.

......not sure if it's bird safe, or not. :blush:

#7 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

I also don't think its safe...

#8 DiscoQP

DiscoQP

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

It isn't bird safe.. but I made sure that no part of it was showing. My little budgie doesn't chew or destroy his toys so I wasn't worried about him getting to it! He just liked swatting at it and seeing it swing back and forth!