MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Rex Update

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

Rex has finally consented to walk up my arm -- only once, but he wasn't used to being handled, his little boy didn't like having him walk on him for some reason -- and he lets me pet his head most days. He's eating crickets now, occasionally, but still prefers worms, which is fine with me. I feel bad for the worms, but not as bad as i feel for the crickets. And tonight, he was hiding in his cave, but when he heard my voice when I got home from work and was talking to Ringo, he popped right out and stood by his food dish expectantly, looking at me. I'm pleased with the progress. I was a little worried that I didn't know how to make friends with a lizard. LOL I have high hopes of getting him to the point where he wants to come out and play soon.

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

That is great progress.  He is one lucky lizard to have found the perfect home smile.png

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

LOL It sounds like you'll be good buddies in no time! :)

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

It sounds like Rex is finally coming out of his shell-- so to speak (since he doesn't actually have a shell). biggrin.png

Edited by cnyguy, 25 February 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Standing by his food dish at the sound of Mom's voice sounds like a good start to a wonderful friendship. :) When he starts coming out to play, I want to hear about it. :)

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

He came out TODAY! Whoo hoo. I coaxed and coaxed and finally he stepped onto my hand, and I cupped the other one around him and lifted him out. Then I sat down on the floor in case he jumped (he didn't). He just sat there for a while, then he walked up my arm and sat on my shoulder and nuzzled my face. Then he walked back down my arm and on my legs and got down on the floor for a couple of minutes. I kissed the top of his head a couple of times and he isn't sure what he thinks of that. LOL And we touched noses. He seemed to relax at last, at least a little. Ringo was in her cage because I don't trust them together and she did NOT approve of my playing with Rex, not in the LEAST. LOL She beat the stuffing out of her toys and cussed at us in Starling.

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

LOL Yay!!!!! :)

Ringo will just have to get over it, won't she? :)

#8 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

ALL RIGHT, REX!!! Good Job!!! You too, Siobhan! :) That was fast!!! At least Ringo took out her rage in a positive way. Although you may need to replace toys.

#9 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

Good on Rex.  And I had to laugh about Ringo's reaction - are you sure she isn't part quaker?

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

I was wondering the same thing? :)

Jan, how is Khan!

And Siobhan, how are all your fins and those that live in shells?

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

Rex shed tonight, too. Thank goodness I'm on a lizard FB group, where they posted photos of shedding just a few days ago, or I'd have thought he was dying. He acted odd this evening, kind of droopy and almost like he was sick, and I was keeping a close eye on him, and  then he started shedding. Ah, That's why he was acting like that. When he pulled it off his front foot, he used his mouth like he was pulling off a glove. LOL When he was all done, he stood on top of one of his hideys like he was posing to show off how nice he looks. It takes about an hour all told and he was sort of squirming and doing all sorts of yoga to get it off and really, if I hadn't known what was going on, it would have scared the stuffing out of me.

And yes, Ringo is very much like a Quaker. Or they're like starlings. LOL

The finny and shell crowd are all fine. Wally (betta) has discovered that he can wedge himself into one of his plants and just hang out and be lazy and he does that a lot. Reminds me of an old cat. I cleaned Simon's (snail) tank today and darned near never convinced her to let go of the side of the tank so I could take her out. I only see Sammie the salamander when I dig him out. He's hibernating.

Johnny refused to go to bed last night so he spent the night on the curtain rod. Tonight he dozed all evening and went to bed meekly. But Greta has decided to go back to sitting on her eggs, even though she's been ignoring them most of the time for about a week. I put everyone else to bed and left her on the floor with the eggs, and when she realized she'd missed bedtime, she started calling for me. I went back into their room and she came waddling out and held up her foot, so I picked her up and put her in her cage. This is after she hissed at me and refused to come out when the others went to bed. Silly bird.

#12 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

I glad you knew what you were seeing when Rex shed his skin. I would have completely freaked out. Lol!

I had the silliest picture in my head of you gently prying Simon loose from the tank.

I'm surprised Greta is still working on her eggs, sounds like she may be back to normal soon though. My little Sweet Pea ran across her balcony and touched my face with her beak and she's only been here a week. She has a lovely voice and is trying to wolf whistle. I love her personality.

Spring, allergies, hormones, insects, longer days. Ain't we got fun????

#13 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Had a bit of a shock when I got home on Friday - Khan was floating on his side and was extremely sluggish.  I didnt know what to do as I thought he was going to die.  He was still alive the next morning, so in between running around and getting Saturday chores done, I changed the water in his tank which was due to be changed anyway (put him in a bowl for about 4 hours) and popped the heater in.  He is now back to normal so I would have to assume that the water temperature had dropped too quickly and he became sluggish.   We are coming into autumn when the days are still warm but nights are very cool.

Glad Rex is doing well - he is one lucky lizard smile.png

#14 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

You should probably just leave the heater going now. They turn themselves off when the water reaches the right temp, just like a furnace in your house. It won't get too warm for him.

#15 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Hi Siobhan, yes, I have left the heater on.  I got really upset when I saw him like that as I really dont know anything about fish and didnt know what to do to help him. 

#16 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Sometimes bettas get lazy and stop paddling, and sometimes they wedge themselves into a plant or their hidey and rest. But they can also get things wrong with them that make it difficult for them to stay upright. There are things you can do in that case, but if warming up the water made him go back to normal, then it was probably just the cold.