MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Horrible Pet Stores

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Julianna

Julianna

Adv Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

I had to go into this pet store the other day and I am sooooo disgusted by what I saw and smelt that I do not know what to do but I want to do something.

This store has many birds and it is horrific how they are being kept.  Some have their cages on the floor with others stacked upon them and every time the door opens cold air whips through.  It is the bird area that stinks the most.  I actually had to hold my breath.  The man wanted to show me how his quaker can sing "twinkle twinkle little star" and it on the cage it was written.... ask me to moon walk.

Well the poor quaker was so hungry for attention.... that while the man sang the song.... the bird clung to the side of the cage .... biting... and squaking.... and finally at the end sang "twinkle twinkle".  It was literally running backwards and forwards on the bottom wires of the cage.... (so much for moon walking).  These birds are normally beautiful but the ones in this store were very thin and had not kept their feathers clean.

I needed food for my bird and the man said "what?  your quaker isn't eating pellets?"..... I replied that quakers eat a lot more than just pellets.  I left with no purchases.

They had all kinds of beautiful birds stacked one on top of the other all of them squaking and screaming.  I cannot get over the stench in there.  I noticed not only newspaper that needed to be cleaned but also a lot of wood chips were used and I think they had removed the obvious poop but the chips do become soaked with their urine.

There were also about 10 puppies in two cages which were at the front of the store beside the window.  I am sure that they were shaking because of the cold coming from the window and door and not because of excitement.  They also were walking around on wire cages that had poop hanging down.

Because I cannot stop thinking of this horrible place and we do not have a Humane Society here what can I do?  Who can I call to get this stopped?  I am sure they are doing business because they have all kinds of items for sale that are very poorly displayed but somehow they are managing.

What to do?

#2 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Julianna, I so wish I had an answer for you. I rescued my female Quaker from a pet store like the one you described. I have been buying pellets there because the store was the only one that carried them. The last two times I was in the store they were out of the pellets. The owner actually yelled at me when I asked, he said he hates it when a customer buys the last item and doesn't tell him to reorder. Another pet store, this one a franchise was happy to keep the pellets stocked for me.

The owner of the other pet store is young and has some serious medical issues. I feel bad for him and don't want to cause him more trouble. I know he depends on the shop for his income. He is competing with Wal-Mart or trying to, and a new pet store franchise. That doesn't make the conditions in his store any less deplorable. He bought several birds from a bird show back in October hoping to sell them before Christmas. He doesn't know their age but will tell you all of them are babies. One is a Catalina Macaw, another is a cockatoo hybrid. He lets them sit on their cages and run around on the floor. Shortly after he got them he mangled (I have no problem with clipping) their beautiful wings, I almost cried. I've never seen wings clipped like that. I kept thinking someone would buy the macaw, she appears to be very young and she's gorgeous. She's still there. The cockatoo is a galah/little corella cross. The owner told me the bird was a galah/Goffin cross until I did the research and told him what it really is. If I had the money I would pay the cockatoo's ransom but with a new cage and set-up and vet bill I just can't do it. I figure the Macaw has a much better chance of finding a home than the cockatoo. Being a hybrid alone almost makes him a special needs bird. He sells fish and reptiles and the entire store is a mess, but the birds and fish are living in terrible conditions. I've never seen the cages clean. Poop has built up on everything. He also stacks cages. The quaker and cockatiel cages are so close together they can fight through the bars. There is a cage filled with diamond doves and there is always eggs on the floor. I've never seen food other than seed in any of the cages. His store is also very cold, but at least he isn't selling freezing kittens and puppies. I haven't gone back in a couple of weeks because it bothers me so much and I can't do anything to help the animals. Sorry to make it worse instead of better. If someone has an answer I would really like to hear it.

#3 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

In Australia, we are able to call the RSPCA and report these sort of things.  They go and inspect the premises and seize the animals or else give the owner a number of days to get the place in order.  Sometimes in life we have to act - other times we have to walk away.  I am at the age where I just don't care anymore - if I see a shop like that, I will report it.  But if this is your local shop, you need to think carefully about what you want to do.  Can you talk to the owner at all?

#4 Julianna

Julianna

Adv Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I am sure that if I said anything to the owner I would be banned from the store.  The only thing I can see if going there and cleaning it up myself for free.... but I just cannot do that.

Thanks for listening.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#5 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I was almost going to suggest you offer to clean it but that may not be wise as he could expect you to do it all the time.  I dont suppose you have another pet shop you can go to?  I remember years ago seeing what I suspected to be wild caught parrots in a pet shop.  I reported them to our wildlife service who said there was nothing they could do as they couldnt prove that the birds were wild caught.  I told them I would go and buy the birds and release them and was told that if I did that, I would be setting up a market for the shop to catch more birds.  It was a hard thing to do but I had to walk away.  You will have to do the same thing.  Sorry that I cannot offer you any other suggestions.

#6 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

I understand you don't have a humane society, but do your police forces have animal control officers?  Perhaps someone like that would be able to inspect and cite the store.  Failing that, there must be some agency that will investigate and cite...perhaps someone who works in agriculture?

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

Against my better judgement, I went back to the pet store I mentioned earlier in this post. I was shocked that the Macaw and Cockatoo still haven't been sold. The cockatoo and a cockatiel are now missing all their tail feathers from clinging to the sides of their cages. Yesterday the owner had a crew of volunteers cleaning up and stocking shelves with merchandise that had been stored. I thought he was getting ready to close the doors but he told me he wasn't ready to do that yet. I made a couple of calls and was told as long as he meets the adequate state licensing requirements he can stay in business. Apparently my definition of adequate is not the same as the state's. If I could afford the high cost to ransom those birds my flock would have grown yesterday. Hopefully his volunteers will at least make the conditions a little more suitable for the animals. I'm still pretty new at this. In my experience so far, it's even harder to convince the authorities that birds are being mistreated than it is to convince them other animals need help and that's a tough enough thing to prove.