MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

More Eggs From Greta

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

In the last several days, Greta has picked out a new (and more appropriate) spot to camp and lay eggs. She has three at last count (which was at bedtime last night). This time, she's on the floor behind the table her cage sits on, which is on carpet and directly in line with the heat duct so she's not cold and not sitting on concrete, and from my chair in the birds' room I can see her little yellow tail poking out from behind it so I can check on her. She went to bed night before last, but refused to last night, after I tried three times to coax her, so I let her stay there. She came out this morning when I went in to uncover the others' cages, and she had a hearty breakfast. I've got a dish of seeds and a dish of pellets in her cage and she ate some of each. I figure she needs the extra nutrition. I've also put a nightlight in their room which shines brightly enough that she can see to come out and go to her cage after bedtime if she chooses to. She won't let me look at the eggs and hisses at me, though when she leaves the "nest" she's her usual self and steps up and gives kisses. Last time I let her be until she got bored on her own and it took quite a while, but she did eventually give up, so I'll do that again. I won't worry so much this time, since she chose a warm and more comfortable spot. 

#2 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Any chance any of these eggs are fertile, or is she still "dropping blanks"?

Well, at least she's someplace warmer and has plenty of food......bless her!

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

I doubt these are fertile, either, but as I said, she won't let me look at them. I know she and Freddie are sworn enemies and Johnny refuses to acknowledge her existence at all, so I can't imagine they're fertile unless we've had cross-species pollination and Benjy the Always-Frisky Budgie is responsible. LOL 

#4 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Rebel has stopped laying at the moment - she is moulting.  It is such a relief to have a break from it.  I am glad Greta has found a better place to look after her eggs.  These animals can be such a worry at times sad.png

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Greta works so darn hard laying eggs. I wonder what kind of mommy she would be if she had chicks? I guess that isn't so likely unless she has a love interest we aren't aware of. Maybe she has a secret romance with Freddie or Johnny. :)

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

She has refused to go back into her cage two nights in a row now and as far as I can tell, she hasn't left the eggs even to eat for a couple of days. Maybe this batch IS fertile. Since they're warmer than they were before and she's sitting on them so steadfastly, if they are fertile they've actually got a chance. I'm sure Greta will be the best mommy she can, but she's 7 and this would be her first babies. What am I gonna do with three more birds if they hatch????

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Awwww, I'm glad she's caring for the eggs so well! :)

As for what you're going to do.....well, you have some options.  You can let Greta try to feed them, you can ask hubby to feed them (I know the birds are really your thing, not his), or you can find a breeder and ask if they will take the chicks and feed them for you.

Good luck! :)

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

She does come out to eat occasionally. She did just a little bit ago. And she drops these MASSIVE poops that are bigger than her head because mama birds don't poop while they're setting and save it up. If she does hatch any babies, she's going to have to feed them, unless she doesn't do it at all, in which case we got trouble in River City. I don't know how to hand feed.

#9 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I don't know how to hand feed, either.  I'd be up the creek without a paddle, too. LOL

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:40 AM

We were out late tonight because we had a band gig to play, and I sneaked into the birds' room to check on Greta, and she came out and stepped up and went right into her cage and to bed on her swing, so I closed her cage and covered her for the night. I've tried to get her to go to bed for two or three nights and she wouldn't. Maybe I just didn't wait until it was late enough. LOL

#11 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

Has Greta added any more eggs or did she stop at three? Is she still staying out of her cage at night to sit on them?

#12 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

I'm wondering, too! :)

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

She has four eggs and is setting all four. Last time around, she pitched a few out and ignored them. Out of the last week or a bit longer, she's spent one night in her cage. Their room is really dark because of the heavy curtains I use to keep drafts out, so when I go to uncover cages in the morning, she usually comes waddling out and wants to go into her cage for breakfast, but then she's ready to go right back to the eggs. If she comes out to eat and poop, she'll submit to some brief petting, but she's on a mission and won't put up with much. She wants to eat and get a drink and gnaw on her calcium block and then go right back to the eggs.

#14 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

She seems to be taking care care of the eggs even more seriously than last time. Do you think it's possible the eggs are fertile or do cockatiels always take care of the eggs, fertile or not?

#15 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

She's my first female cockatiel, so I don't know. If she'd leave them for a couple of minutes so I could candle them, they've been there long enough now that I should be able to tell if they're fertile, but she won't let me examine them. And last batch, I kept moving them, trying to get her off the cold concrete floor, and that may have damaged them if they were fertile. I was careful, but tiel eggs are so little that maybe it doesn't take much movement to harm them. This time, I've left her and the eggs undisturbed for the most part since she's on carpet and in direct line with the heat duct, so she and they are warm. And she's right behind the table her cage sits on, so when she wants food or water, she doesn't have to leave them for more than a couple of minutes, so they don't have time to get cold. Before, she was on the other side of the room, plus the cold floor under them made them cool off faster. There were times they were ice cold, as if they were in the refrigerator. I thought the male helped set eggs, and take care of them, but I know neither Freddie nor Johnny has been near them and they don't even seem aware that there ARE eggs back there.

#16 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

I don't know this from experience, but I've heard that male cockatiels can get very hormonal even to the point of building nests without having a mate. At least Greta has a better location this time. I guess Freddie and Johnny don't want to be birdie daddies. Doesn't look like either one is about to own up to it.

#17 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

So you're saying we're not going to be able to collect chick support? LOL I did manage to sneak one out last night and hold it in front of a light bulb and it doesn't look fertile to me. 

#18 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

'Chick support', haha!!!!!! :D

#19 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

No chick support, I'm guessing.

Sounds like you've got a couple of deadbeat birdie daddys there.....they've had their fun and now you're left to raise the grandchicks. mad.gif

#20 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:51 PM

Rebel treats the infertile eggs the same as the fertile ones.  Pippin also helps her with the eggs - but it is only to let her out of the nestbox to feed twice a day.  He gets angry if she leaves them at any other time and pecks at her until she goes back into the box.  Cockatiel males angry.png