MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

She Hates To Play

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lookame

lookame

Adv Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Lexi seems to hate everything I give to her and she doesn't play with anything except when he gets really hyper, they he goes to a chim she's had in her cage forever. Then she screams at it, shakes it to make noice than screams at it again. That seems to be the only thing she "plays: with. If I try to get her a new toy she refuses to go near it and eventually chews on the connecting piece until it falls on the bottom of her cage then she poops all over it. All she really seems to do is sit on the door of her cage preening herself and/or chirping and chatting away. She does come off her cage and hops onto my shoulder to play peekaboo with me. She's just not really into doing much else...Any advice?

Also...at what age do quakers hit sexual maturity? Lexi is going on 3 now...just wondering

Edited by lookame, 23 November 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Sitting on your shoulder and playing peekaboo is what SHE wants to play. Toys apparently aren't. They're all individuals with their own tastes. Jade loves bells, but what Jade loves more than bells is for me to applaud when she rings her bells. I'm supposed to stand there and ask her to "ring your bell!" or "play your maraca!" and then tell her how wonderful she is. Clyde likes to play Simon Says -- he says a word or whistles a tune and I'm supposed to copy it exactly. He doesn't play with toys except as you described -- he yanks them and cusses at them when he's frustrated.

Quakers usually reach maturity around 18 months, but Clyde was more than 2 when he did it. We found him (or he found us) in May of 2008 and we assumed he was an adult then, but it was in November of 2011 that he first went into Birdie Hormone Insanity, so he couldn't have been much more than a baby when he joined our family.

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Some parrots just don't care for parrot toys; my Amazon George was one. Since Lexi seems to like to chew on some of her toys, you might try offering her other things just to chew on, or chew up.

#4 Erin1956

Erin1956

Adv Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

You may want to try changing toys and see if you can find the one. I am always on the lookout for new toys for Tai. The ones he loves the most are the ones that broke off of a parakeet toy. He picks them up and puts them in an empty food dish he has on his playground. He also likes to take a toy and drop it over the side of the cage and expects mom to pick it up and put it back. Several times a day I pick them up and put them back. I swear he is worse than a 2 year old. So just keep looking and maybe you will find the toy that he will love...Erin