MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Rip Petey

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PapaJ

PapaJ

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

This is very difficult for me to write without bursting into tears. I started crying even while reading aloud the rainbow bridge poem to girlfriend. It was just this past thursday morning. I was off from work and sleeping in. My girlfriend yelled out to me "Honey." I was trying to sleep so my initial reaction was annoyance. But then she said, I think something is wrong with the bird. I shot up in my bed because quite honestly that little guy was everything to me. I walked over to his cage and he was on the bottom of the cage next to his bath. He was breathing heavy and he was all puffed up. I knew immediately that something was horribly wrong. He was fine the night before. When he saw me he tried to move to me but was having trouble walking. I should have picked him up but i was panicking. What happened next will haunt me forever. He started crying like he knew what was coming and wanted so badly for his life to not come to an end. At that moment he suffered a seizure and my gf came and picked him up he died in her hands seconds later. I now feel extremely guilty, I know he waited for me before he passed on and I feel like I betrayed him. I have never dealt with death and I panicked. Does it get better, someone please tell me it does. Because I'm haveing a really tough time dealing with this.

#2 MrsBlackjack

MrsBlackjack

Adv Member

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

NOTHING on earth prepares anyone for the sudden loss of someone they dearly love, don't second guess yourself or question your reaction, when we are in shock, no matter how much we wish we could be strong, how we react is how we react. Petey knew you loved him, he waited for you and then took his last few breaths, it doesn't matter who held him.

I lost my Dad this time last year, I kick myself because I wasn't there when he took suddenly ill, I kick myself that it took him to be on deaths door for us to suddenly realise how serious things were, he waited you know, it's 10 hours from Melbourne to Gosford, but he waited.

We can all have regrets honey, we would all handle situations different if we knew what lay ahead, at the end of the day we have to take comfort in the fact that they knew how much we loved them and yes they are waiting at the bridge for us.

I doubt my words have helped much but please know you did everything you could and my heart breaks for you (((HUG)))))

#3 PapaJ

PapaJ

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Thank you so much for that. It's going to be a long time before I can think of that day and don't burst into tears. Simply reading what you wrote has me all choked up. However, knowing that my reaction to the situation wasn't as horrible as I thought it was makes me feel a little better. My Peter is buried in my front yard under a beautiful gumbo limbo tree and I have so far sat out there every night for a few minutes talking to him. I know he is in a better place now and I can still feel his spirit in and around the house. We brought little jack into our home and the mistakes we made previously will only teach us and little jack will hopefully have a lot more time with us. Thanks again.

#4 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

NOTHING on earth prepares anyone for the sudden loss of someone they dearly love, don't second guess yourself or question your reaction, when we are in shock, no matter how much we wish we could be strong, how we react is how we react. Petey knew you loved him, he waited for you and then took his last few breaths, it doesn't matter who held him.

I lost my Dad this time last year, I kick myself because I wasn't there when he took suddenly ill, I kick myself that it took him to be on deaths door for us to suddenly realise how serious things were, he waited you know, it's 10 hours from Melbourne to Gosford, but he waited.

We can all have regrets honey, we would all handle situations different if we knew what lay ahead, at the end of the day we have to take comfort in the fact that they knew how much we loved them and yes they are waiting at the bridge for us.

I doubt my words have helped much but please know you did everything you could and my heart breaks for you (((HUG)))))

I lost three family members in 2 years and I have decided when we are near something as stressful as death, we all just do the best we can.
Last year I had to have one of my dogs put down and I had my daughter take her in because I just couldn't deal with it. I felt like a wimp but I just couldn't do it. So don't beat yourself up.. Just be glad that your birdie had your love and attention when he was alive..

#5 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

It takes time, but it does get better.

Our first bird (together) was a male budgie, Arnie. His full name was Arnold Schwarzebirdy Goforth-Harris (we weren't married when we got him, after we got married his last name was just Harris LOL) That little bird was just amazing, he would go to anybody and could talk up a storm...his voice was so soft, squeaky and fast that you had to work to make out what he was saying, but he had a huge vocabulary. One of our favorite of his antics was, he would be banging on his "disco ball" toy, yelling at it in Budgie speak, and right in the middle plain as day he would yell "god dammit!" He learned that from Zach's video games....Zach yells a lot when his character things die. LOL :)

Arnie lived to be 4 years old. At his second to last vet visit, we found out that he had a tumor (very common in budgies) and he was fine for quite awhile after his diagnosis. Then we started to notice that he was getting weaker. His feathers weren't coming in as bright, and a few months before the end, he molted his "necklace" (the black spots around his neck) and it didn't come back. They were getting "fluffy" and not in a good way. His feces had a yellow tinge. So Zach and I took him to the vet again. That turned out to be the biggest mistake I had made with him. We took him in on Saturday morning, and Arnie died on Sunday afternoon. When I called the vet on Monday morning, she called back that day and just said how sorry she was, that she really didn't think he was going to die that fast. I think the stress of being poked and prodded at the vet's office pushed his little immune system past the point of no return.

Well, okay...I just went back in my old posts (bawling like a baby now LOL), and I didn't remember things like they happened. You can click HERE if you're interested.

The point is, it does get better. We still think about Arnie all the time, but we think of the good things, and not the torture of seeing him go to the Rainbow Bridge.

Now we're in the same situation with Petey, the budgie we adopted about two years ago. She's about 9 years old, and has the same symptoms that Arnie did. I refuse to take her to the vet though, because the same thing would happen to her.

Take care of you, and give yourself plenty of time to grieve. (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Edited by msdani1981, 22 January 2012 - 06:26 PM.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

So sorry about Petey. You can be sure that he knew how much you loved him and how important he was to you. The pain and grief you're feeling will ease in time, and Petey will remain in your heart and thoughts forever.

Grief does take time. When my Yellow-crowned Amazon George passed away, it was a long time before I could even look at a picture of a YCA without breaking up. I still miss George terribly, and always will, but it's possible for me now to enjoy all my good memories of him. In time, you will feel that way too, I'm sure.

#7 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

I am so sorry. ((HUGS))

#8 xerxeys mama

xerxeys mama

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Im so sorry for your loss Hugs and prayers for you now.