The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Rescue Bird

biting hissing mean

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mjenkins

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

I am new here as we recently got our first quaker. A friend in our neighborhood found him and after they were unable to f ind his owner we took him in. We have had a green cheek and parrot let's that we hand fed and decided it was time n for another bird. We brought him home a ND set him up in his cage and started calling him napoleon. When we first got him he was super sweet, he would sit with you and liked to be petted. Then he started to get mean. He would rather fly to the chandelier than sit with us, and then he started to bite. Now we can't even go near without him hissing and trying to bite through the cage. It is hard to even change his food and water. I would. I'd also like to mention that I have a seven year old sister, she is not rough with him but can be loud and move fast like little girls do. The people we got him from also tried to clip h is wings, but they weren't really sure how and he can still fly. I am desperate for any help. Thanks!

#2 zuznit

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

Hi! It´s possible that he tolerated being petter because he was scared, and after he has gained confidence, he decided to let you know he doesn´t enjoy it perhaps? Quakers are known to be territorial in and around their cage. How old is your Quaker?

I would recommend doing some basic target training to gain his trust and show him that you´re willing to communicate with him on his terms. You can find lots of resources online, like GoodBirdInc and the BirdTricks you tube channel... I think training helps our birds realize that they can make their own decisions and we will respect their personal space. I wouldn´t clip his wings! A flighted bird is better equipped to let us know he doesn´t want to hang out with us, by flying away. Good luck! I´m sure he´ll come around. 

• easttex likes this

#3 easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:50 AM

I agree with zuznit. You might have had a honeymoon period, and now he's asserting himself. He may come to enjoy physical affection after he's had a chance to bond, or he may not. Training is an excellent way to start building a bond. Take him where his cage is out of sight, keep the sessions short, and use lots of positive reinforcement. I highly recommend Barbara Heidenreich's methods (Goodbirdinc). Keep all your interactions with him positive from your end, even if it is a struggle sometimes.

I'm not big on clipping unless there is a safety issue, but if he has an uneven clip, I would take him to an avian vet or professional bird groomer to even it up. A truly bad clip can affect a bird's attitude. Though the fact that he flies up to your chandelier probably indicates the clip was not uneven, just ineffective. A clipped bird should still have some flying ability, however.

Edited by easttex, 01 July 2014 - 04:56 AM.