MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Mama Cuts Ringo's Toenails

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Apparently starling toenails won't wear down on their own with scratchy perches and walking around on a hardwood floor. And starlings are not fond of being touched, so holding her down and doing it isn't really an option. So I had to invent a sneaky way to do it and it actually works. She plays on top of her cage a lot, and of course, her toes wrap around the bars and hang down. So I got her used to seeing the nail clippers (just regular human nail clippers) and when she's on top of her cage and playing with her mirror, I reach up from underneath and nip one off, just the tip. She used to say something really uncomplimentary and fly away and I could only get one at a time and it might be days before I could trick her into holding still for another one. But she's kind of over it now, or I'm better at it, or both, and today I got FOUR toenails before she'd had enough and refused to cooperate anymore. They're still longer than I'd like or than wild birds' nails are, but I'm keeping them under control this way and I'm so proud of my ingenuity. LOL

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Hey, that's great!  Really smart of you, well done! :D I wish there was a way of clipping poor Tito's beak without causing as much stress as holding him does.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

I am exceedingly thankful that Ringo takes care of her own beak. She has that rock garden and pecking at the rocks wears it down. I can't figure a sneaky way to trim THAT. I know other starling parents use a dremel or something and I would be flat terrified that I'd cut it too short. With toenails, if you only nip off the very end, you don't have to worry about that, and my method is to nip off a little tiny bit every time I think she's calm enough, in the hopes that eventually we'll work our way down to the proper length with no trauma for her OR me.

#4 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Good for you and Ringo! I'm a wuss about clipping nails. I know how, but I really hate it. Popeye's nails were overgrown when we got him and my husband clipped them for him while he was standing on his balcony. He was in a cockatoo trance because he had just arrived. It may be a lot more difficult next time. Popeye has big feet too. Those teeny Quaker toes. I'll hold the bird but I won't clip.

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

The parrots and Maggie have a treat cup on a scratchy perch, and the parrots have scratchy perches in their cages -- regular perches, too, the scratchy ones are just one of several in each -- and their nails stay short enough. Plus they have cuttle bones and calcium chews and they use those, so that takes care of beaks.

• Allee likes this

#6 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

My parrots have different sized perches in all their cages including scratchy perches and natural perches so hopefully that will keep their nails short enough. The QP's nails are in great condition so far.

Edited by Allee, 25 November 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#7 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Clipping her nails is just the FIRST step. It isn't a complete pedicure until you put pink polish on her claws!!!

tongue.png

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Ha. I can't imagine Ringo holding still for THAT. She won't even let me look at the mess her feathers are in -- she's molting, and starlings take FOREVER to complete that process. If I show too much interest she says "IKE!" and flies away to a curtain rod or the top of a door. ("Ike" is Ringo-ese for "oh, no, you DON'T!")

#9 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

I noticed Otey sitting on his porch giving himself a pedi. I thought he was just cleaning his talons, but no, he was actually trimming them. Good thing--I would probably have to sedate him and whip out the Pedi-Paws.

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

I've seen Clyde and Jade do that, too.

#11 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

I haven't seen Zeke or Harry doing that, but their nails have stayed trimmed so far. Maybe it's the perches. Popeye chews his nails, usually when Harry is misbehaving.