MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Maggie Goes To Time Out

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Last night Greta was having one of her snuggly moods and ignored The Eggs in favor of sitting on Mommy and getting scritches. Maggie flew over and landed on my leg and before I could scoop Greta up -- I saw Maggie giving her the stink eye -- Maggie pecked her HARD and yanked some feathers out. Poor Greta squawked and flew away to the hanging lamp and I grabbed Maggie and put her in her cage and shut the door and went after Greta. I examined her thoroughly and didn't find any wounds. I guess the feathers were the only damage. But she got a lot of petting and kissing and "poor baby"ing, anyway. I said to Maggie, "You're in time out. We do NOT peck each other" (I could have sworn I heard Jade chuckle at that, probably thinking, "Speak for yourself, Mom.") And Maggie had to stay in her cage overnight. It was almost bedtime, anyway. I let her out this morning. 

Maggie sometimes pecks Benjy like that, but he's such a pest and always buzzing her and I don't blame her for getting fed up with that. But poor Greta is the sweetest and least demanding bird you can imagine, so on those rare occasions when she wants some lovins, the last thing she needs is an oversize pidge yanking some of her feathers out in a jealous snit. 

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Methinks that Maggie is jealous.  Interesting.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Oh, they're ALL jealous. Each and every one would prefer to be an only child. Except, perhaps, Freddie and Johnny, who come as a team. Usually when Clyde is jealous, it's not the other birds he chomps, it's ME. And the others normally only lunge at another bird that they think is taking the attention that rightly belongs to them, without actually connecting. I've never seen Maggie have quite such a violent reaction to another bird. If she pecks Benjy, it's not out of jealousy, but annoyance at his constant buzzing. He's like a blue mosquito, and he does Kamikaze Budgie sorties at her (and anybody else within reach, including me) all the blinking time. We all get tired of it. LOL But Maggie had been across the room flinging food out of the treat cup trying to find the kind she likes and it's not like I was ignoring her in favor of Greta. 

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Bad ole Maggie. Hope she learned a lesson about being mean to Sweet Greta.

I hate when they fling food out of their treat cups, looking for the "perfect" bite, and then complain that there's nothing in their cup to eat.....Louie has gotten bad about doing that. First it was just throwing the yellow, banana shaped ones on the floor, but now she just scoops everything out and flings it everywhere....then looks at me like she's being starved....

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Oh, Maggie is AWFUL about flinging food, but she's the only one who does that. Greta would , but she has one of those fling-proof box thingies on her cage. That's what she had when she arrived and I left it since she was used to it. I tried giving Maggie one like that but she wouldn't go near it. You should see the mountains of waste that I sweep up every day. If Greta and Freddie didn't waddle around on the floor looking for tidbits, it'd be even worse than it is.

• Allee likes this

#6 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

Poor Greta! Maggie, you bad bird!
I bet Maggie hated being in time out even for a minute!

I have several food flingers but right now Popeye is making me nuts. This morning I gave all the birds chopped fresh fruit and vegetables. Popeye used a page out of his phone book to completely cover his bowl. Then he played his guitar non stop for an hour or so. I think he saw the price tag on his foraging mix so he's determined to throw it out of his cage.

I have so much leftover parrot food I never buy wild bird food any more. The wild birds wait like vultures for the parrot food every morning.

This afternoon Popeye was still behaving badly when I gave him dinner. He ran to the floor of his cage and hid under the newspaper. His favorite meal was in his bowl so he didn't hold out too long. None of the devils can resist birdie bread. :)