MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Going Better Than Expected.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:01 AM

Hello my name is Waylon I am 17 and I got my first parrot today he is a 8-10 week old IRN he is a lil nippy but within 2 hours was allowing me to hold him stepping up and being very sweet (he has seen me a few times since he was born but I had only touched him once before.)

I did get a fair amount of bits but they didn't hurt that bad all but there one was on my ear and it drew blood lol that on kind hurt! But other than that he is doing good he is clipped which is a good thing cuz he still takes off on me from time to time he has only grunted in my ear a few times since he has been home so I feel like so far things are on the up and up since he will come to me and let me handle him. :-)

I have read and been told that if you pet them on the back it's like a mating thing for them is this true cuz I just found this out a hour ago and am now worried I freaked my bird out lol??

And from what I can tell IRN are not as loud as Quakers does any one agree with this or is it false because my breeder told me this and I have heard both and in my opinion this is true what do you think? Have a wonderful eavning! :-)
  • Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Hi Waylon.  Yep, anyone with a parrot can sympathize with the biting thing.  It's hard to avoid completely, but in time you do learn to read the signs and can avoid a whole lot of them.  Your little fellow is probably too young to be freaked out by back petting.  You do want to watch it as they get to breeding age, though.  It can be confusing for them.  smile.png  Best to stick to the head, neck and chin areas.  Congratulations on your new friend!  Have you named him?

#3 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yes his name is gizmo and he is a yellow IRN today he had his first morning flock call since he has been home and called me to the room twice as well :-)
And I see your name leads me to think your from east texas I am from DFW and lived in east texas but now live by port A texas if you know the area :-) sry just the name made me happy and think what a small world

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Congratulations on your new feathered friend! smile.png IRNs have the reputation for sometimes being quite loud-- at least as loud as a Quaker-- but yours may not be. Every parrot has his or her own ideas and won't necessarily conform to whatever reputation they may have. IRNs are also known to be capable mimics and may speak in a clear voice and could learn lots of words and phrases.

Maybe Gizmo wanted to give you a free ear piercing. blink.png Parrots can be good at that sort of thing.

• waylon likes this

#5 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Welcome, Waylon and Gizmo!! I can't wait to hear the upcoming Gizmo stories!! I'm glad things are going well. biggrin.png

#6 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

Thanks so much for all the positive comments and as far as being as loud as quakers I mean can it carry through to the next room with both doors closed?

#7 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

And I see your name leads me to think your from east texas I am from DFW and lived in east texas but now live by port A texas if you know the area :-) sry just the name made me happy and think what a small world

Yes, I am close to being as far east in Texas as one can get. It's about 25 miles to the Louisiana border. Is that Port Arthur or Port Aransas? I'm not very familiar with either, but either one is on the water and that sounds good to me. The internet certainly does make for a smaller world.

I have to say I'm a little envious of you. I wish I had known at 17 that I was going to love birds so much! :)

#8 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

When my cockatiel gets going I can hear him outside my house, with all of the doors and windows closed.  Chewy, the quaker, is worse.  Be prepared for noise.

Good luck, though, and congratulations! :)

#9 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

Port Aransas :-) so nice down here and good work to so I can't complain about it.

And the noise hit hard this morning but as I thought it can't be heard in the next room as I have sound proofed my room so that you can only hear a tiny bit of a screech lol and to me it's not that bad even in the same room of course my aunt is a breeder so I grew up hearing parrots but still not as bad as it could be.

On the note of noise he is already trying to say his name and it's only day three he lets out a loud high pitched giz or a loud mo so it's hard to understand but I can understand him lol my fiancé can as well so that I thought was cool :) and I have always loved birds just never got another since my rainbow lorakeet when I was little I will always miss buddy...
  • Cindi&Jeriel and easttex like this

#10 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

Good job, sound proofing your room! :)

#11 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

Lol thanks thick blankets that look good have a lot of uses :)

#12 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

I love IRNs! I had decided I wanted either an IRN or a Quaker...a Quaker was the first one to need a home on Craigslist in my area, so I now have Happy. IRNs are so cute, and their personalities seem very exceptional.

#13 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:17 AM

They really are he has been here about a week and things are going great he isn't loud at all so far so that's been a plus

#14 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hi Waylon, how are things going with Gizmo? :)

#15 waylon

waylon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

GREAT he is already saying his name and working on pretty bird lol he plays so hard and goofy that he falls over and play fights my hand he has his good and bad days just like me but the past too or so days he has been more nippy and pissy than normal but that's to be expected I mean he is a baby after all as well as sensitive but so far things are wonderful :)