The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

I Think Hormones?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newbie_baby

Adv Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Well my wonderful 3.5 yr old quaker is acting up just a tad :-)

It is Jun, and I think its just hormones, but wanted to get your thoughts

Meeko is my soulmate, fully flighted, and lives in a quaker mansion :-). double flight cage, inner dimensions 4 ft high x 2 ft wide by 8 feet long. he even has his own room :-)

Recently, he's just started getting very restless, throwing his food bowls all over the cage, shredding a lot of paper (for a bird), moving the newspapers at the bottom of his cage quite a bit and so on

he gets at least 3 hrs out of cage time every time every day, but these days he seems very edgy and restless (I use the term he without knowing. DNA test not done)

he was behaving similarly last year, but that only lasted about a week. This time seems to be going on for at least 3 weeks

In Toronto, the sun doesn't set till 9:30 pm, so we close his blinds around 8:15 pm or so, but its impossible to cover his cage (due to its size) so there's a bit of twilight in the room, and he's fully awake (but not vocal) by 6:30 am or so

he doesnt bite, still gives lots of kisses (when away from cage), but is pretty aggressive near the cage. We know the signs, so we leave him alone, give him his space and soon he'll fly to us in another room, but 20 mins later, back to his cage and so on. Eating OK, pooping Ok

Any thoughts, tips, pointers would be really appreciated

#2 easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hi! It certainly does sound like hormones. I'd recommend finding some way to cover the cage so that Meeko gets 10 to 12 hours of darkness. If you can't, perhaps you could set up a smaller cage just for sleeping. Even a travel cage could suffice. It would no doubt be very difficult to introduce that right now, but it could really pay off in the future. Day length is probably their biggest clue that it is time to breed.

Also, stick to the head and neck for scritches. Warm, soft food, especially hand-fed, is another breeding trigger. Great food abundance is another sign that says It's Spring!, so having to forage a little for his food might help. If he has any dark, enclosed spaces inside his cage, I would remove them temporarily.

It sounds like you are being patient with him, and that is a very good thing! At this point you probably have to just wait it out. In my own experience, all of these things together don't eliminate hormonal behavior, but they do help to reduce it.

#3 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

For what it's worth, I was told by the parrot rescue folks who I adopted Mr P from that anything more than 8 hours of sunlight triggers hormones and breeding behavior.

I think Easttex has a good idea. Is there any way you can put Meeko in a smaller cage, just for sleeping, until there arent so many hours of dayllight?

I was having some major issues with Mr P right after we changed to daylight savings time here. I was keeping him up longer since it was lighter and his hormones really kicked in. I started limiting the amount of daylight hours he got and that helped tremendously!

#4 newbie_baby

Adv Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

thanks vm