MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

A Bird's Favorite Person: Is It Based Upon Gender?

bonding training gender taming

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sylphwood

sylphwood

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hello Quaker Peeps, 

We adopted a young Quaker a week ago from a local parrot rescue. The Quaker, Piccolo, is estimated to be 1.5 years old. Piccolo, has never... to anyone's knowledge, been abused. This Quaker's sex has not yet been discovered.

Piccolo has a strong preference for men it seems. Piccolo really liked the parrot rescuer's son, the veterinarian (also a man), and took an instant liking to my husband, not so with me. 

I have a couple of questions for all of you experienced Quaker people out there.

Does a Quaker's gender predispose it to prefer the opposite sex? 

Is a lone Quaker attempting to establish some sort of substitute pair bond with the opposite sex human?

Will the bird's preference for my husband create future aggression towards me?

(I refer to Piccolo as "she" but this is not yet confirmed)

Whenever my husband is around the bird, it bobs its head enthusiastically, nibbles at his fingers, or grooms his ears and can be easily touched and petted by him. The first hour she was in our home, he left the room and she flew down the hall after him. 

When I am alone with the bird she tolerates me, sometimes tries to bite me (not hard) but will let me touch her some and scratch under her wings or over her forehead as long as I approach her thoughtfully. She willing steps up for both of us, will take nibbles of foods from both of us, and sometimes I get a head bob out of her, though not like my husband does. It is obvious that she adores him. She does not like me to touch her much if she is with my husband.

I am destined to be her primary care giver, chef, trainer and housekeeper, not my husband. I will be spending more time with Piccolo than my husband. The entire point of getting a bird was based on very fond memories of little parakeets that I have bonded with a various times of my life. After all 28 years is a long time to be just "tolerated." 

Should I be concerned with her favorite person preference and how she will relate to me in the years to come? She has warmed up towards me since last Sunday, but if she is destined to remain luke warm towards me, I may not keep her. I am concerned her favoritism could pose a behavioral issue in the years to come.

Thank you all in advance!

Attached Files

Edited by sylphwood, 22 September 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#2 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's difficult for birds to go from place to place! Please keep her and make friends with her! My birds both prefer me more than my husband cause I am the one who feeds, cleans and holds them! However, my husband has a wonderful relationship with them too. He whistles and talks to them Etc. your husband might remind Piccolo of someone in his past! They r beautiful ,curious, sweet, funny little birds! On the other hand if you r not going to keep her because she likes your husband, take her right back before she gets attached!
Oh! Forgot to say Quakers all have issues! Strong willed, and a bit manipulative to say the least! It's what makes us Quaker people love them!

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

My Quaker, Chewy, LOVES my husband and doesn't want me to touch him at all.  I love him, anyway. smile.png

He repeats a lot of my words and phrases (he says close to 50 things), and he's hilarious.  I can't imagine my household without Chewy. smile.png When Zach and I were putting the birds to bed last night I went to the living room to get our Cockatiel, Taz.  Zach was in the birds room, holding Chewy and Chewy said "Step up!  Come on, Taz!" and when I walked in the room Chewy looked at Taz and said "Hi!  Hi bubba!  Such a good morning!"  He gets "good boy" and "good morning" confused sometimes.  Zach and I laughed so hard, and Chewy laughed right along with us. smile.png

Give her time to settle in with you, and love her for the bird she is.

Edited by msdani1981, 22 September 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#4 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Please give your little quaker time to settle in.  Shah was 5 months old when I got him and he had obviously been raised by a male as he much preferred male company to mine.  However, I persevered and he eventually preferred my company.  Just be patient and give your little one time to re-adjust to the surroundings, new people and new routine.  It will be an interesting journey for the both of you and your quaker will teach you lots of things along the way.

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Clyde went from preferring my husband to preferring me and back again a dozen times in his first few months with us. At this point, he prefers me and has for a long while, but he still likes Hubby, too, and will sit on him and let him pet him. When Clyde is hormonal and attacking me because I won't lay eggs for him (LOL), Hubby is the one who has to cope with him. Quakers take a LOT of patience, and any bird takes a long time to adjust to a new home. If you're the one taking care of Piccolo and cleaning her cage and filling her dishes and spending the most time with her, she will likely learn to prefer you. All our birds prefer me because I'm the one who takes care of them and plays with them, even Jade, the project bird, who used to prefer Hubby and just tolerate me.

#6 sylphwood

sylphwood

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hello Quaker Peeps,

I have made the decision to keep Piccolo. I will just keep educating myself on parrot/human relationships and keep working with her. She is so adorable and easy to love. At the moment Piccolo is overseeing my typing and approves.

Thank you everyone!

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thank you for giving her a chance! :)

#8 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

I am the primary caregiver, cage cleaner, schedule keeper and face they see around most of the time. They tend to see me in more of a caregiver role. They expect me to change water, prepare and serve their food, make sure their environment is *suitable*, and they chastise me if I don't perform to their satisfaction.

When my husband shows up, the birds act like they've just won a trip to Disneyland. They rush over to him and regard him with fascination. He makes silly faces and voices, makes up silly games, does kisses and scritches and talks love talk to all of them. He's expected to entertain and play with them. 

Louie, who we believe is a girl, is halfway in love with him. If he walks into the room, she immediately flies over to him, or goes down to the floor and waddles over to him as fast as her little birdie legs can take her. She wants to sit on his shoulder, groom and kiss him, and likes to supervise him as he eats his meals. She is MUCH more affectionate with him than with me, but she still likes me well enough.

But I have developed a very calm, comfortable relationship with each of the birds. It's very relaxing to sit quietly on my "perch" on the sofa, and hear birds cooing and grinding their beaks in contentment six inches from my head, and know that they are just enjoying sitting near me and enjoying the companionship.

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

With a whole flock, there will be one or two or four or five you adore you and want to be with you constantly, and the rest like you but aren't quite as smitten. With just one bird who gets all the attention and doesn't have to compete for it, they can be a little more of a diva. Quakers are born divas, anyway. So you have to earn a single bird's favors. LOL I suggest pumpkin seeds or millet. The way to a Quaker's heart is definitely through the stomach, though you also have to learn to perform on command and be a good servant as well. 

#10 chartreuse667

chartreuse667

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

With a whole flock, there will be one or two or four or five you adore you and want to be with you constantly, and the rest like you but aren't quite as smitten. With just one bird who gets all the attention and doesn't have to compete for it, they can be a little more of a diva. Quakers are born divas, anyway. So you have to earn a single bird's favors. LOL I suggest pumpkin seeds or millet. The way to a Quaker's heart is definitely through the stomach, though you also have to learn to perform on command and be a good servant as well. 

aint that the truth! just be cool and don't expect too much from her...she'll come around eventually. birds are tricky little creatures.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bonding, training, gender, taming