MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Cockateil Laying Eggs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lookame

lookame

Adv Member

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

I didnt know how to title it. Anyway at the store I work at we have a cockateil weve named Lucy. Shes very sweet, shy, but sweet. Shell talk to you and she seems to listen to you but doesnt want to be held. She had another cockateil with her for awhile and she got into an egg laying loop. As soon as shed lay an egg even if it was left in her cage shed lay another. That continued on until the other cockateil was sold, then she stopped laying them for awhile.

FF to now. We got in a pretty and happy conure. He just loves life and is constantly dancing. Lucy was fine when he was above her cage but when we moved him next to her shes begun laying eggs again.

Do birds/will birds lay eggs while stressed or in competition for attention with other birds?

#2 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

It's not about stress or competition.  I think your Lucy is hormonal, and having close contact with other (apparently attractive?) birds is stimulating her further. I'd move the other birds well away from her, and make sure she's getting enough calcium in her diet to make up for what she's losing when she lays.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Greta did that recently. I gave her calcium blocks and she chews on them a lot. And I left the eggs for her where she laid them and she set them for a long while, but finally quit laying. She rejected the eggs one by one -- shoved them away from her setting spot -- and once I was sure she didn't want one anymore, I threw it out but left the ones she was setting. Eventually, she lost interest altogether and I disposed of the last one. I can't keep her away from the other birds, but based on the way my pigeon behaves (who also goes into egg-laying cycles with some regularity), it comes and goes. They lay, they want to set them, they get bored when they don't hatch, they forget about it for a while, then they do it all over again.