MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Can You Help Another Bird?

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

#1 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

If you want to donate or find someone willing to purchase these items from you here is the place to post that.

If you have things you need this would also be the place to post it.

I have 5 special needs birds so I am always looking for just the right things to help them get along.

Peanut is missing several toes, and has splayed leg syndrome. Paulie has emotional issues, as Does Buddy. Ricky is a very nervous bird with stress issues and Lucy is partially blind. It is very challanging to find the right toys with in a budgeted amount when you have eight birds but more so when 5 are special needs.

If you see something posted that is needed and you have it, or if you have something some one might need repond in PM the poster. Once your item is gone post back to this forum that the item as been adopted/sold ect.

I think we can help many birds out there.

#2 GeorgiaOnMyMind

GeorgiaOnMyMind

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

What a great idea!

The only toy I have right now that no one is interesting in is a hanging toy that looks like a rocker or something. It's plastic and has a bell at the top, but neither of birds seem interested in this toy. If anyone thinks their bird(s) would enjoy, gimme a shout out and I'll send it along.

(Oh, and Cheryl, I just wanted to share that I tried your idea of a toy box, and my bird that doesn't like to play is absolutely in love with emptying and refilling it rolleyes.gif Thanks for the great suggestion!)

Oh! I think another thing that might appropiate in this thread is for people with multiple birds or speical needs or a limited budget or even who cannot find a certain toy to make a list. That way, next time someone like me is going shopping for bird toys, if they see something on the list they can maybe purchase it (I have a real problem when it comes to buying bird toys... I have no self control)!

I love this thread idea Cheryl! It's awesome!

Oh! This is another idea, is there any way to make this is a sticky thread? You know, one that stays up at the top even if no one posts in it?

(which, consequently, might be a good idea for andie's seed conversation method, since it is so regularly useful!)

#3 Taavi's Mom

Taavi's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:14 AM

Great idea, Cheryl! Can we make another section, "Items Wanted or Needed" under the "For The Bird Lovers" section of the forum? If not, how about another section being added in the member profile? Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Jan, Taavi (QP), Tory (M2) & Jesse (LSC2)

#4 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• 13,432 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:24 AM

Much of this has already be discussed and decided by Shelly. We are just waiting for her to have time to start making things a reality.

Be patient! Good things come to those who wait. Lets keep this topic here just for Wanted, needed and unwanted, unneeded items.

I will put up a suggestion box in a minute.

#5 BoogersMama

BoogersMama

I am JanDaMama

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:20 PM

OK I get it kinda like Freecycle.org ,right? Cool idea! Here's to making it work!

#6 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• 13,432 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (BoogersMama @ May 11 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK I get it kinda like Freecycle.org ,right? Cool idea! Here's to making it work!

Exactly like freecycle.org

#7 GeorgiaOnMyMind

GeorgiaOnMyMind

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

I also have a forgaging toy that no one is getting into it. It's one of those green plastic boys with colored wood pieces inside.

#8 QPShrek

QPShrek

Simon and Gumby's Mom

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

I have a copy of Mattie Sue Athens "Guide to the Quaker Parrot" that is collecting dust, since I no longer have a QP. I'll mail it to the first taker. wink.gif

#9 QPShrek

QPShrek

Simon and Gumby's Mom

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (QPShrek @ May 12 2006, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a copy of Mattie Sue Athens "Guide to the Quaker Parrot" that is collecting dust, since I no longer have a QP. I'll mail it to the first taker. wink.gif

The book is spoken for and is going to IlovemyBamBam. biggrin.gif

#10 cassidae

cassidae

Adv Member

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 08:39 AM

this link has special needs perches for splay foot babies and what not. mb good for cheryl.

#11 gypsygal

gypsygal

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

Any toys or the like that anyone would like to pass along would be greatly appreciated.As the purchase of the bird, the cage, the first vet visit and all the other needed items can sure break the bank account LOL

#12 cassidae

cassidae

Adv Member

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 06:20 PM

oops forgot the link lol.
http://www.chopperst...erchesGyms.html

#13 ~BettyK~

~BettyK~

aka: petGroomer51

• Members
  • 10,395 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

Great idea, going to

BUMP this...smile.gif

#14 Summer

Summer

Adv Member

• Members
  • 831 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

I've got a small bucket of LaFebers cockateil pellets that we had got to try to switch Fez from Rowdybush to (I can't buy Rowdybush locally, and then it didn't matter, cause it turns out that he wasn't eating rowdybush anyway.. but that's a different story).. but he hates it!

If anybody birds eat this, and would like it, I'll pack it up in a freezer bag, and mail it off smile.gif

Summer & Fezzik

#15 jobo2mi

jobo2mi

Here ... let me get that for you!

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (Summer @ May 31 2006, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a small bucket of LaFebers cockateil pellets that we had got to try to switch Fez from Rowdybush to (I can't buy Rowdybush locally, and then it didn't matter, cause it turns out that he wasn't eating rowdybush anyway.. but that's a different story).. but he hates it!

If anybody birds eat this, and would like it, I'll pack it up in a freezer bag, and mail it off smile.gif

Summer & Fezzik

Mine do!!!!!!

#16 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• 13,432 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

If anyone has any Rope perches, boings, Atoms, flat stone perches-pictured below- happy huts that your bird won't use maybe Michelle's Cutty would like to have them? See this post-Read the last post first and work back wards to the most recent- CUTTY I know a I have heard a lot of you buy happy huts only to have your birds freak out.

#17 Guest_PurpleSmurf_*

Guest_PurpleSmurf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

I have a happy hut my birds don't have any interest in at all. I may be a bit small (very snug!) for a quaker... but if it'll help...

#18 Animal Quackers

Animal Quackers

Michelle & Mark

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 03:30 PM

Cheryl - YOU ARE BEYOND SWEET TO THINK OF CUTTY! I love this little man SO much - it is so nice that so many of you here do, too.

I actually made a BUNCH of "happy huts" following Dee's instructions back in January. Nico doesn't use his too often, but Cutty sleeps in his all the time.

I am going to make an appointment soon with another local avian vet with many years of experience to go over Cutty's issues since we have had him. This vet, Dr. C, actually works in the vet clinic that I take my cats to - I didn't know he was an avian vet until Auntie Edna told me about him! Dr. B is happy to give us all of Cutty's records since November to share with Dr. C.

Cheryl - thank you - and thank you to PurpleSmurf for offering the hut. You guys are THE BEST!

#19 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• 13,432 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Nico's and Cutty's parro @ Jun 2 2006, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheryl - YOU ARE BEYOND SWEET TO THINK OF CUTTY! I love this little man SO much - it is so nice that so many of you here do, too.

I actually made a BUNCH of "happy huts" following Dee's instructions back in January. Nico doesn't use his too often, but Cutty sleeps in his all the time.

I am going to make an appointment soon with another local avian vet with many years of experience to go over Cutty's issues since we have had him. This vet, Dr. C, actually works in the vet clinic that I take my cats to - I didn't know he was an avian vet until Auntie Edna told me about him! Dr. B is happy to give us all of Cutty's records since November to share with Dr. C.

Cheryl - thank you - and thank you to PurpleSmurf for offering the hut. You guys are THE BEST!

Let us know what types of things you will need to help Cutty and maybe some of us can get a few things for him. I know I would love to get him something! The poor dear! I can't imagine how hard it is for him, as I know he is worse then even Peanut who really wobbles and rolls to get around.

#20 Amey

Amey

Adv Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (GeorgiaOnMyMind @ May 12 2006, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also have a forgaging toy that no one is getting into it. It's one of those green plastic boys with colored wood pieces inside.

Has anyone spoken for this yet? My CAG and Gus just go nuts for foraging toys! If it's not spoken for I'll take it!