MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Seed conversion

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 Andie Wan Kenobi

Andie Wan Kenobi

White & Nerdy

• Forum Manager
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

We get a lot of questions about how to switch our birds' diets from seeds to pellets...and here is the "Andie Method" and it works. I have not had a bird fail to convert.

Now keep in mind this is done over a periodo of time. All BIG switches should be done over time.

Week 1: Pick a brand of pellets...I recomend Zupreem, Roudybush, Harrisons, Prettybird or Hagen's Tropican lifetime pellet or tropimix. You can also do a combination of to give them choices, and I'll address this later on.

Offer the chosen pellet in the primary food dish, free choice...that means 24/7. IN A SEPARATE DISH offer your seed mix for 20 minutes twice a day. Do this for a week...

Week Two, follow the steps to week one, only allowing 15 minutes twice a day

Continuing on...keep doing this until the bird is recieving seed 5 minutes twice a day then start only offering it once a day, do that for a week, then once every other day and if they are still clinging on to the seed, once every third day...by this time they will be eating pellet and seed will be seen as a treat. I feed seed a couple times a week, except for my breeders they are starting to get it every day.

NOW to talk about the mixing of pellets. I believe that variety is the spice of life. Always have a back up pellet in case you run out of the primary, or you go on vacation and can't find your normal pellet...the delivery is sloughed off a day or two and you have to fill in...we hate to think that this happens and we wouldn't be resposible enough to get more before we run out...but sometimes things are beyond our control. So every once in a while mix in some extra pellets and see if they'll eat them.

Cheers!

#2 ~Heather~

~Heather~

Lymon's Mamma

• Members
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Andie!

#3 Guest_gummi_bear44_*

Guest_gummi_bear44_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

Great Info. Bumping back up!

#4 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

That is a great conversion method!!! I was lucky enough that all my birds switched over immediately, except for Max who was weaned onto pellets.

I've never thought of having two different pellet varieties though. I think next time I'm at the store I will pick up an extra bag of something and see how they feel about it

#5 ~BettyK~

~BettyK~

aka: petGroomer51

• Members
  • 10,395 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:19 AM

********Bumping up*********smile.gif

#6 Tara Rose

Tara Rose

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

Andie what do you mean "mixing pellets?" Do you mean mixing seed in with free-fed pellets, or mixing two different brands of pellets? I have Kiwi on whatever brand you gave me at the store, but he only picks out the red ones and I end up throwing away 3/4 of his pellets because he won't eat the yellow, green, and orange ones! Should I switch him to something else??

#7 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

You know, I have my birds on coloured pellets as well and they all have their favorite colour.

Max always eats the yellow ones first. The Conures both eat the green ones and the Tiels...well who knows, half their pellets end up on the floor!!!

I'm thinking Andie meant for two different types of pellets to be mixed together, but hopefully she'll come along and clarify that.

#8 Amy G.

Amy G.

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:04 PM

Yep...this metnod works great! This is how I converted Alex.......thanks Andie!! biggrin.gif

#9 Dawn and the gang

Dawn and the gang

A MBS sufferer, but, I love it!!!!

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:00 AM

This is without a doubt, the easiest way to convert from seeds to pellets. All of my birds converted with no trouble at all. Ozzy, my Nanday, is 3, he'd eaten a cockatiel seed mix all his life. I offered him pellets when I brought him home and he stood at the bowl and ate like he'd been starved to death. He liked the pellets so much that he was converted in one day and never looked back.

#10 Amy G.

Amy G.

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

I think I had Alex switched in about a week. Sometimes I noticed that when I give her seeds as treats, she will still go for the pellets. She must really like them smile.gif

#11 Chyrel

Chyrel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

**Bump, bump, bump!** Someome in General Quaker Talk needs this. It's a great topic to keep on top. smile.gif

#12 BoogersMama

BoogersMama

I am JanDaMama

• Members
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

Nother bump for newbie.

#13 Guest_Illegal Infatuation_*

Guest_Illegal Infatuation_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:12 PM

Thanks andie this definitely helped! Got Julie onto pellets in three days with this method!!!

#14 Uncle Zippy

Uncle Zippy

BCON=Beer Coming Out Nose

• Members
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

I'm with Carrie Anne. I'm gonna try a different brand so we have a back up just in case there is ever a Tropican shortage. laugh.gif Our guys have such a stinking good diet they'll probably outlive me by a decade or two. wink.gif

#15 Andie Wan Kenobi

Andie Wan Kenobi

White & Nerdy

• Forum Manager
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

Yup Carrie, I meant two different pellets mixed together. I am not a fan of mixing seed with pellets. THOUGH we do it at the shop for the babies...I'm still just not a fan...but that's just me. We had a hagen shortage here recently (their mill went down) and my guys were not happy fids! My cockatoo actually wouldn't eat his zupreem so I had to go to roudybush. They are eating that, but I have to say their favorite (wings down) are the hagen lifetime pellets. I think it's that bubble gum scent they use...LOL...but they LOVE it!!! SO, it is a wise choice to offer a second pellet for the "just in case" because from experience it does happen. I'm glad the method is working so well for folks! smile.gif Hooray!

#16 Chyrel

Chyrel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:34 PM

Bump!

#17 Chyrel

Chyrel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:43 AM

Ditto Bump! Someone else needs this at top!

#18 huey B Quaker

huey B Quaker

Geraldine

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

Thanks, I will give this a go and keep you posted as to how Huey goes hi is very stubbin but I will be strong and stick to the plan. Thank you again.

Geraldine and Huey.wacko.gif

#19 Chyrel

Chyrel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:03 AM

**Bump!**

#20 Guest_JudyluvZiggy_*

Guest_JudyluvZiggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 02:44 AM