MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Seed conversion

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#181 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

That is a great conversion method!!! I was lucky enough that all my birds switched over immediately, except for Max who was weaned onto pellets.

I've never thought of having two different pellet varieties though. I think next time I'm at the store I will pick up an extra bag of something and see how they feel about it

My quaker has three pellets that she will eat so i rotate them..

#182 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

Diane, You are feeding a good diet. You can only make it better by adding some pellets. Don't feel bad. Tiels are seed eaters in the wild.
Start by putting the pellets in the cage in the morning for an hour or so before you feed fresh food and seed. You can removed that food after an hour or so and put the pellets back in. I feed 2xs per day and they have pellets available too.
Make sure to weigh your birds so that you can keep track that they are getting enough to eat.

Hi - My name is Diane and am in need of some advice as well... I have had my Quaker (scooby) for about 2 years and 2 cockatiels for the last 3 years. I tried pellets with the cockatiels with ZERO luck so... I have been feeding seed from walmart and fresh fruits and veggies with cherrios/occasional pasta as treats and NOW.... after reading this thread - I feel horrible about the nutrition I have been giving to my birds.

So after I convert my friends to pellets I will be able to give them seeds for treats and in toys - correct? I read that seed consumption is still important but not as the main diet - correct? and...of course they love sunflower & pumpkin seeds....so parakeet seed when treating? I want the best for them so any/all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks again - Diane

#183 organizedchaos05

organizedchaos05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

were trying to convert our quaker to pellets but he doesnt seem keen at all he just wants to eat sunflower seeds which he was eating at the pet shop when we got him, if i give him the pellets with my hand he will hold it in his beak for a second or 2 then just spits them out, could i add chilli flavour to them as he loves chillies??

#184 Slrlitlehart

Slrlitlehart

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hi everyone!!! I tried pellets when my quaker, Spike was young. He's over 9 now. But he refused to eat em. Posted Image I may try it again using this method. I notice that everyone praises using pellets over seeds. Suppose to be more healthier and i do want my birds healthy, for they will always be my 2 yr old children to me . Posted Image I notice that Spike eats entirely too many sunflowers, so i watch how many of them i even allow in his dish. Georgia Peach, i just recently got and it seems like she picks at her food. I also make sure everyday that they get their fresh salad and fruit. But i will try exchanging their seed for pellets pretty soon.. I do have a few questions though. Ok Andie, you stated that for the 1st wk to only place the seed in for 20 minutes. What if my birds wont eat the pellets the rest of the day??? Is 20 minutes enough time and enough seed for them to live on till the next day??? Posted Image I guess what im saying is, ive heard that its easy for birds to become sick fast and that they rarely show signs of being ill and by the time they do show the signs they are really bad an normally dont recover...Another thing, im sure that by changing my birds over to pellets that their stool would have to become different. How will i know what to look for as far as signs of illness in them now during the time im changing their diet on them???
Call me a worry wart, but i just dont want anything to happen to my precious babies Posted Image... I just want to know what signs to look for and to make sure id be doing it safely for them... Thanks to all who can help answer my questions... Posted Image
Slrlitlehart

#185 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

.... chilli flavour to them as he loves chillies??

Not sure what you mean by chili flavor, but many fids like hot peppers. WARNING!!!!! remember what you fed him, before asking for a kiss. ;)

.... What if my birds wont eat the pellets the rest of the day??? Is 20 minutes enough time and enough seed for them to live on till the next day??? Posted Image I guess what im saying is, ive heard that its easy for birds to become sick fast and that they rarely show signs of being ill and by the time they do show the signs they are really bad an normally dont recover...Another thing, im sure that by changing my birds over to pellets that their stool would have to become different. How will i know what to look for as far as signs of illness in them now during the time im changing their diet on them???
Call me a worry wart, but i just dont want anything to happen to my precious babies Posted Image... I just want to know what signs to look for and to make sure id be doing it safely for them... Thanks to all who can help answer my questions... ;)
Slrlitlehart

This method says 20 min., Twice a day. The seed, and vegies/fruit will keep him alive. The idea is to force him to supplement his diet with the pellets. As he starts eating more pellets, the seeds get reduced.

Changing the diet shouldn't make him ill, but may cause a little weight loss. 10 % is cause for concern. Be sure to have a Digital Scale, and weigh daily, in the morning, after first poo, before breakfast. Wallmart, ( + - ) $20.

#186 organizedchaos05

organizedchaos05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

cheers mate but i love chillies aswell so its all good lol, but he still didnt seem impressed, i think he doesnt see them as food, if i give him them from my hand he will hold them in his beak then he trys to crack them then just drops them but i think persistence will be the key, but how bad is millet seed for him??

#187 Slrlitlehart

Slrlitlehart

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:02 PM

Thx Jaytee, im sorry i didnt notice it had said "twice a day".. I must have been reading it too fast. Another thing, for example when u change a dogs diet from lets say dry food to canned food. Just as u do the change slowly by mixing dry with canned little bit at a time as u are doing this bird seed to pellets. Normally the dogs still get the diarrhea during the process of the change. I was wondering if thats something i would be seeing in my birds when i change from seed to pellets and what color stool would then become abnormal ??? Should i only become concerned if it contains too much liguid???
slrlitlehart

#188 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Some pellets are very hard for then to break if you make them I bit softer with vegs it helps.. Or break them up a bit for them.

#189 organizedchaos05

organizedchaos05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

he has got the idea now :) he eats them no problem at all although he still has a little seed in with them but i take all sunflower seeds out but im weaning off them slowly and he can have them as a treat

#190 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

I don't denied spig seeds 10 sunflower seeds (organic from the health shop cos the pet shop ones are awful) a day and a little millet :D.. Glad his eating his pellets which brand did you get

Edited by Jen_and_spiggy, 14 November 2011 - 06:12 AM.

#191 organizedchaos05

organizedchaos05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

he has got zupreem fruit blend and today he gave me a little "present" but im not that keen on them but the jester was nice lol, he does like me to crush them up a little though but its all good aslong as he eats them, and how much millet seed is ok for him?

#192 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

I assume about a tsp of millet and don't forget vegtables and fruits (once a week :D.)... Pellets are hard I'm sure if they made them softer parrots will eat them a lot more

#193 organizedchaos05

organizedchaos05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:12 AM

he has sussed it now he holds it with his foot then chips away at it or he just crushes it all up in his beak lol, and he really likes apple but not the skin lol

#194 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

hehe I don't like the outside of apples either:D they like the insides of things I slice carrot and he only eats the inside ,sugar snap peas only the insides lol.every thing only the insides and here we thought the outside was good mmmm maybe they know better...

Edited by Jen_and_spiggy, 17 November 2011 - 07:28 AM.

#195 organizedchaos05

organizedchaos05

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

im gonna see if he likes banana tomorrow (he eats better than i do lol)

#196 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Otey is 14 years old, and we are the new people in his life. Unfortunately, his previous caretaker (10 years) is suffering some major health issues and couldn't keep him any longer. We both had parakeets growing up, but this is our first parrot. Needless to say, we're sold.

The problem is that Otey's prior diet consisted entirely of Walmart parrot food and occasional fruit. We had him checked out by an avian vet when we first got him, and she gave him a clean bill of health. Having read up on the breed and talking to other parrot owners, we've decided we want to change him over to pellets. He's decided otherwise.

He has NOT been happy with the twice a day seed feed. He squawks, throws a hissy fit and tries to bite us when we take the seed cup out and leave only the pellets, which he refuses to eat. We have the small round Zupreem Natural with Vits & Minerals now--should we get fruit flavored or smaller pellets to mix in?

Also, he generally gets a half inch slice of banana and some shredded organic greens a few times a week. He throws dried chilis at us, and is more interested in destroying a peanut shell than eating what's inside. Anything else to tempt him, or should we wait until the pellet conversion to give him treats?