MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Seed conversion

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#41 Stevi Cay

Stevi Cay

Adv Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

After reading all the post here I almost forgot what my question was.
I have been offering Julian seed twice a day for 20 minutes at a time. Morning and evening. I have Roudybush pellets that are out 24/7, which he don't touch. But will sit there and shake and scare me that maybe he is sick (just had his first full check up yesterday and he is very healthy)when I give him his seed back and he starts eating but will sometimes shake his wings at the same time. Is he ok, just starving or just trying to make his Mommy scared wacko.gif

Stephanie and Julian

#42 Stevi Cay

Stevi Cay

Adv Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (miss1mouse @ Sep 18 2006, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We inherited a 13 yr. old Quaker Parrot that has eaten seeds all his life. I tried the method mentioned above, but he didn't touch the pellets for a week and kept saying "Tweety wants food". I bought Pretty Bird Select medium sized pellets. Where do I find Zupreem? The pet store owner hadn't even heard of it, but I'm not too impressed with him anyway. He trimmed Tweety's wings for me and I think he went too short. Poor bird looks like he has a bad haircut. He just left him the 2 blue feathers on either side. And how do I know what flavor to get him? He's very picky. He doesn't like apples, strawberries or blueberries. He only likes grapes and wheat bread and I just read that grapes are bad because they have too much sodium. I'm running out of things to feed him!

I took Julian to the Vet yesterday and that is how he told me to trim his wings, with leaving the two end blue ones. That way he said they look nicer but still can't fly.

Stephanie and Julian

#43 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

That's called a beauty clip...and some birds can fly with just those feathers.

#44 Stevi Cay

Stevi Cay

Adv Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Andie's Mom @ Mar 17 2007, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's called a beauty clip...and some birds can fly with just those feathers.

Don't want to take that chance so I will clip those two too. Thanks.

Stephanie and Julian

#45 marylee

marylee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 06:04 AM

yes they certainly can... cause mine sure did... and I nearly lost him.

#46 Gizmo #1

Gizmo #1

Ben-Gizmo~Julie

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:13 PM

Please answer soon. I am getting a cockatiel today yes monday and it has just been weened, but it eats seeds.I am thinking it won't take that long to switch. Do you agree or not.[all opinions]

#47 Gizmo #1

Gizmo #1

Ben-Gizmo~Julie

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:14 PM

I am trying the methiod now. I will let you know how it goes. So if im correct the total process is about 5 weeks.

#48 ltv1

ltv1

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 04:19 AM

An ongoing debate online and in pet food stores is that a fortified seed diet with fruits and veggies was fine. I am going to change over to pellets, with fortified seeds as a treat. The fruits and veggies are easy, we have been using them forever. Is a fortified seed diet with fruit and veggies good or bad?

#49 Lisa Barnes

Lisa Barnes

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

milo and nibbles both came from the pet stores. thay are both eating seeds. I have tryed pellets before. neither of my birds would eat them.

We don't do alot of fruit and veg's for the birds everyday. I have treats for them from the pet store . pumpkin seeds, ect..... thay eat what we eat for dinner. vegs wise . I cook more on the weekends so thay have better foods then. My question is should I use pellets for both birds? Milo is the qp ( about 2 1/2yrs old) and Nibbles is a amozon ( 4 years old). I only tell you that because both have been on seed there whole life.

I think I will try one of these other brands you have talked about, did'nt think of that. I thought if thay liked one thay would like them all. You know like thay are all pretty much the same? I also work long hours every day, so it will be hard to do the twice a day thing. dry.gif But maybe if I start on a weekend thay will take right to it. I know it's better for them so I really want them to convert. Thanks for talking about this.

#50 Lisa Barnes

Lisa Barnes

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

bump up

#51 SaraM

SaraM

Adv Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:23 PM

i've found this so interesting,Milo has always been on a seed diet with fresh fruit and veg.every time i buy food i have the same dilemma about pellets versus seed and have always ended up with seed because i know he likes it,i'm going to the pet shop tomorrow and i'm going to get some pellets and try this method,i'll let you know how the switch over goes

#52 Andie Wan Kenobi

Andie Wan Kenobi

White & Nerdy

• Forum Manager
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

This is what are facts...Fatty liver disease is very prominant in quakers who eat seed based diets. They do not get the exercise nor the variety to choose from being our companions. They can moderate their vitamin and mineral intake due to the availability of different forages in the wild. Not as our companions, they get what we put in the dish. Would you feed a human child snickers bars only? Maybe toss them an apple once in a while? Or feed them only McDonalds? That is what we do to our pets when we feed a seed based diet.

Fortified seeds are coated with the vitamins and minerals...what part does the bird eat? THE INSIDE...so how much of the vitamin package gets in our pets? VERY LITTLE. Since they do not have saliva to bind to the coating and ingest it, not much good is done.

The best diet we can offer are fresh foods, but that doesn't always happen. SO we do have to make up for it. This is where our pelleted diets come in. This pellet should make up at least 1/2 of the diet up to 3/4 of it. The balance should be mixed between fruits, veggies, carbs, proteins, and no more than 10% of the diet should be seed.

#53 SaraM

SaraM

Adv Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

Went and got some pellets today and am quite surprised by how much Milo seems to like it,is the 'andy method' done gradually to help their digestion get used to the change (like if switching biscuits with a dog)

#54 Andie Wan Kenobi

Andie Wan Kenobi

White & Nerdy

• Forum Manager
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:12 AM

Some birds will starve themselves if they are switched cold turkey. It also helps reduce stress of transition.

#55 SaraM

SaraM

Adv Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

it's going really well with Milos conversion to pellets,i'm so glad i found this thread,i know i'm still on week one but hopefully it will continue to go as smoothly biggrin.gif

#56 SaraM

SaraM

Adv Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

Well i think i can safely say that Milo is a pellet convert,we are on week three and when he does get his usual seed mix put in he seems to not bother with it and goes for the pellets, biggrin.gif yipee success

#57 Reepecheeps's Mom

Reepecheeps's Mom

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:27 AM

We mix the zupreem fruits and veggies pellets. Reepecheep has her days that she picks favorites but it changes a lot, no wasted food, except all that food on the floor smile.gif

#58 Nestling

Nestling

Nestling

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

Ok here is a really stupid question. I am going to buy Zupreem pellets tomorrow. Are there different sizes for different bird species and if so what do I get? I have some unidentified pellets here left from when I had my Tiels but am not sure if all pellets are the same size. I have been giving Cleuseau the Tiel Pellets mixed with seed. HELP!!!

#59 Reepecheeps's Mom

Reepecheeps's Mom

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

Yes there are different sizes. My qp likes to have something to hold onto so I tend to get the fruit ones for conures and the veggie ones for macaws.

#60 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

I am going to buy Zupreem pellets tomorrow.

There are no stupid questions!!! We buy Zupreem for Cockatiels, and I think most people buy that size. smile.gif They are the perfect size for Quakers. smile.gif