MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Coffee Filters

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Amey @ Oct 3 2006, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aries loves coffee filters. I take coffee filters and put a peanut/nutriberry/almond in the filter and then twist it and push the flowery end though the links of a plastic chain then fan it out so that it doesn't fall through the links. I do that in every other link. In the in-between links I tie strips of cotton fabric. I made one with the chain folded over and he loves to run back and forth through it. He had all the peanuts chewed out of the filters the first day. I replace them every week or so. He also loves shredding all the fabric strips. Anything to keep him from pulling out all his pretty new fluffies. smile.gif

Wow,I just spent the last 20 min looking for this thread and went to post it for you and there this dumb thread was right on top...LOL

#22 Amey

Amey

Adv Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:11 AM

Oh, and I found this other really cool idea. Take little wiffle balls and regular plain popping corn. Push the unpopped kernels, about 8 or so kernels, into the balls (I had to make one of the holes a little bigger to do this). Then, wrap the ball in a moist paper towel and put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. The popcorn pops INSIDE the ball and the unpopped kernels will make noise when the birds shake it. So, they have a foraging toy and noise maker and foot toy all in one! It took Gus about a day and a half to get the popcorn out. Ralph and Aries had it out in hours, the second ball only took minutes but they have so much fun with them and if you can get the balls at the dollar store they are really cheep too.

QUOTE (Sandi Kiwis Mom @ Oct 4 2006, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow,I just spent the last 20 min looking for this thread and went to post it for you and there this dumb thread was right on top...LOL

I guess you know you're addicted to this place when you keep getting the 'flood control warning' LOL

Yup - found it and got carried away reading and then had to add my 2 cents. I keep telling myself I'll just read one more thread and then go to bed - I said that about 10 threads and 2 hours ago LMAO!

#23 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:12 AM

Amey,

You need to post that idea (with pictures) under the DIY thread. That way someone will be able to find it.

That is a great idea.......who would of thought of that, NOT ME for sure laugh.gif

#24 Amey

Amey

Adv Member

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 01:18 AM

I don't have a digital camera (it's on my wish list but somehow keeps getting bumped for birdie toys). But, I'll try to get a pic with the old fashioned camera and get it developed and then post it. Give me a couple days, one-hour developing only works if you stick around for the full hour - if I do that I'll spend too much money and won't be able to afford to buy the pics LOL

#25 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:31 AM

Amey, I'll do it and take a picture...you can do the explaining...hows that...

#26 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Andie's Mom @ Oct 4 2006, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Amey, I'll do it and take a picture...you can do the explaining...hows that...

I want to know how it goes... Until someone else does it I am afraid I'll blow up my micro wave.

I buy the pop corn on the cob for the birds, but when I cook it according to directions it burns. Nobody likes burnt pop corn.

#27 dadyh2obucks

dadyh2obucks

Adv Member

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

Fiber Diet....

Some reading said to be careful of what shred-able and possibly consumable fiber products that our QP's are exposed to....

Anybody seen a no-no list anywhere?

Maxxx&Crew

#28 ~Wasabi~

~Wasabi~

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

This idea looks really neat and easy! This is something I could do with my kids too! I bet Wasabi would love that! She loves anything she can shred and it is so upseting to buy an expensive toy and see it all torn up and lying on the bottom of the cage in one day. I know she enjoys it but boy does it get expensive! I need more cheap ideas like this one and the q-tip idea!

#29 Mileysmommy

Mileysmommy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Amey @ Oct 4 2006, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aries loves coffee filters. I take coffee filters and put a peanut/nutriberry/almond in the filter and then twist it and push the flowery end though the links of a plastic chain then fan it out so that it doesn't fall through the links. I do that in every other link. In the in-between links I tie strips of cotton fabric. I made one with the chain folded over and he loves to run back and forth through it. He had all the peanuts chewed out of the filters the first day. I replace them every week or so. He also loves shredding all the fabric strips. Anything to keep him from pulling out all his pretty new fluffies. smile.gif

DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE.........PLEASE!!!!! blush.gif

QUOTE (Mileysmommy @ Jan 18 2007, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE.........PLEASE!!!!! blush.gif

Sorry I was getting excited about this new toy idea and should have read the whole thread!!!! laugh.gif

#30 sweethomeindiana

sweethomeindiana

Adv Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

what a GREAT IDEA!!! I bet you could roll em up and tie them off too. I heard of wrapping treats and seeds in papers like that to give them something to do.

#31 such a rabbit girl

such a rabbit girl

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:28 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I decided to make my own! I made them for my mother's new quaker. He was scared at first, but every time I go by to see him, I notice he has shredded more and more of them.

What a fun idea!!! I can't wait to make more!

Attached Files

#32 Lozenger_91

Lozenger_91

<3 Laura

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

Awww cute coffee filters! tongue.gif

I'll have to try that!

#33 Nikki-n-Shane

Nikki-n-Shane

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:54 AM

Just wanted to make a suggestion...They make natural *unbleached coffee filters. They are brown and might be safer then the white bleached version. Dont quote me but we use them in our house (and the fids dont care about the color!)

#34 berlie

berlie

berlie

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

laugh.gif laugh.gif I had fun with food coloring one day and dyed coffee filters, beads, string, and popsicle sticks ...
You should have seen the mess I had (on my counter, hands, arms, ... ) My husband just walks in, shakes his head, and turns around and walks out.

The food coloring worked great. Except I learned that just a tiny quick touch of the coffee filter in the dye is all you need. The color wicks in quickly! biggrin.gif