MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

ORGANIC BEDDING is a DANGER...

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_hrtofau2_*

Guest_hrtofau2_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

I bought a bag of the walnut shell bedding for use in the play gyms...Especially my one that is a pain the butt to clean. Like everyone else..I thought it was safe. (I scoop it daily change weekly).

Guess I should go throw it out in my garden. blink.gif

#42 huey B Quaker

huey B Quaker

Geraldine

• Members
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

Wow very good information, thanks. tongue.gif

#43 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

Bumping this for new fid owners its a very important topic...

#44 snugglbutt

snugglbutt

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for bumping this Majj. I was actually considering using some sort of litter for my guys, at least in Jojo's sleep cage. The stinker shreds the paper on the bottom every night...makes a mess of biblical porportions in their sleep room. Between his feather dust and the itty bitty shreds he makes... wacko.gif I've taken to removing the paper and just using the tray. I take it out and wipe it down every morning. Still has a lot of dust, but no shredded paper all over the room.

#45 patty for Lucky

patty for Lucky

Adv Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:35 PM

Thank you!!! I've had Lucky about a month. When I realized I was his new mom, I ran to the pet store and spent a fortune. So far, I've had to replace or toss the vitamins, the CAGE!, the food, and now the bedding (which I use in the tray under the grid.) They gave me so much BAD advice... The irony is, I thought the bedding was working great, so I not only bought two more bags, I ordered and just received a huge bag (25 lbs, I think!) so I wouldn't have to keep buying the bags.... The pet store is the only resource for so many people. It makes me very upset they are either uneducated or unethical when they offer guidance!!! Thanks again for the info.

#46 zoohouse

zoohouse

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the information. I use would shavings, and pack them down so that they can't be reached. Is this something I should get rid of? unsure.gif

#47 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:52 PM

I guess if they are below the grate and can`t be reached they would be o.k ...maybe someone else has a comment ...
I still think Newspaper is the best option I roll put a lot down and just roll a sheet up each morning , you can also SEE the poop and sometimes this is the first sign of something wrong with the bird....

#48 Arkali

Arkali

Ruby's mama

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Majj!
On a related note (and the reason I no longer trust pet stores) - when I was growing up I had hamsters, and always kept them on wood shavings. Then as an adult, I got another hamster. She died, choking, in my hand. After she'd passed, I pried her little mouth open and pulled what looked like a wad of shavings out of her mouth. It was only a piece or two, but it's not like hamsters are large. So, I got another hamster. This little guy, too, died of the SAME thing. So I got another hamster AND called a small animal vet (took several vets to find one that knew jack about hamsters). Here's a synopsis of what he said:

1) He told me how to administer a hamster heimlich.
2) He said that while choking on shavings isn't a frequent thing, it happened "more often than you would think".
3) He advised AGAINST putting hamsters on wood shavings and recommended the recycled paper pulp (it's gray looking - about the color of a plain jane drink carrier from a fast food place)
4) Confused, I said "But the pet stores have them on shavings!" His reply? It's because the shavings companies GIVE them FREE shavings as a way to promote their product.

Sooo... I'd stay away from wood shavings.

Thanks again, Majj! Great article!

#49 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:16 AM

Bumping to front for new members...

#50 icedoll

icedoll

Adv Member

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

yikes!
I use paper too but...

Skeeter loves corn. I have given him pieces of corn on the cob before - is that safe to do?

How about this one??.........
I took a cob - dried it - cut it into 1/2 in pieces and threaded those thru a home made wood ring for him to chew on - safe???

#51 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

I am pretty sure its o.k to give corn on the cob most all of us here do it its one of the fids favorites ....
Just don`t use it as acovering for the bottom of your cage....

#52 Cheekys mum

Cheekys mum

Adv Member

• Members
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

I am so glad you put this post up!
I use paper towels and hopefully
that is ok! Cheeks dosent really
bother with it a whole lot blush.gif

#53 Guest_IMPduJour_*

Guest_IMPduJour_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:14 AM

great article I really found it interesting.
I agree with it 100% too.
Besides alot of those bedding materials seem to be dusty too when you pour them and I am sure the birds must breathe it in yet I see it in alot of petshops for sale as well as in the actual birds cages which are much different than ours..the birds actually walk on the bedding and I see them pecking at it etc...

#54 XxPixiexX

XxPixiexX

Adv Member

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

Does anyone know if Aspen bedding is okay? I just got my Quaker Jack yesterday and he was being kept on CEDAR! ICK! I know thats dangerous so I put him on Aspen since I have pet rats...Is this okay? She said he will eat newspaper and paper towels...

#55 Jodi L.

Jodi L.

Adv Member

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

you know- Me and some others have taken to getting rid of the grate on the bottom, and going bare-bottom. You just have to take a wet washcloth to it every day... you don't have to worry about shreded paper, eating things they shouldn't, getting sick from stuff.

the only problem is that they have ready access to thier droppings, but many birds don't really care about it that much, and if you keep up on the cleanings, its fine. Just bring two washcloths with you when your changing water and food: one damp with soapy water, and one damp with just water: voila!

#56 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

Bumping for new members..

#57 CindyL

CindyL

Adv Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

Ok sometimes in the early evening I have Sleeptime Tea, it is green tea with no caffine in it..I put just a smig of milk in it. Both Mojo and Cozmo love it..would it hurt them to have some if there is only a little milk in it?

#58 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi Majj,
I notice that it says shavings shouldn't be used, and we don't use them, we just use newspaper too, but isn't giving them wood to chew on the same thing?

Should parrots not be given wood to chew on? Because it seems like everyone has it in their cages, they sell it at the stores etc.

I thought they just picked it apart and played with it in their mouth and then spit it out...

Is this something to be concerned about??? unsure.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

#59 gypsygal

gypsygal

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

Giving them wood to chew on is fine.If my macaw's didn't have wood to chew..they would more then likely chew the house down wacko.gif

My understanding about the bedding is that it creates a pefect place for bacteria and mold to grow.Once the bedding gets moist..it takes a very short time for the mold to grow.Aspargillo (sp?) is a mold that is a big danger to our fids.Better safe then sorry.use newspaper smile.gif

#60 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Bump for new fid owners..