MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

ORGANIC BEDDING is a DANGER...

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 Alex is a good boy

Alex is a good boy

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

Well definitely taking out the bedding is a must. Even if that isn't what is making him sick, it isn't a good thing to have in their cage.

Unfortunately, the only way to tell for sure what is wrong with him is a visit to the vet. If he is projectile vomiting, then something serious is going on.

You said that it has been going on for a while....how long is 'a while'?

Alex is-
not puking so much now, and it wasn't projectile. He mostly bobs his head up and down and then it comes out, looks like mucus. He drinks lots of water, sleeps all the time and he has stopped whistling and talking except to say night night, and all he wants me to do is hold him and cover his head. He has been sick about 3 weeks, the worst part was then. He wasn't constantly puking, but I know he wasn't feeling good, because he would let anyone hold him and I am usually the only one he will allow to touch him. I thought he was better a few days ago, but then he started the head bobbing again still no whistling or talking. We just cleaned out his cage yesterday and put news paper down. Hopefully he will feel better soon.
I was really hoping someone would tell me where a good Avian Vet is in my area.
I got Alex when he was 17 yrs old, In May it will be 2 yrs. He will only eat seed and I tried to give him pellets, but he wouldn't have anything to do with it. I have introduced him to human food. I really thought that was making him sick by feeding it to him. I would let him try anything he wanted. Come to find out he loves potato's, carrots, pea's any type of bread and pasta and banana's or anything with salt or sugar on it. (now know sugar is not good)
Thanks for answering!
Mary

#102 Divit's Mom

Divit's Mom

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

I am a newbie and my friend told me to use corn cob and gave me some to start me off. I put paper towels on top of it. I recently spoke to a lady that I will be buying seed from and sells the corn cob to my friend. I told her about the paper towels and she told me since all I have is one bird and I change the towels every day anyway not to waste my money on the cob. I will be throwing it out. Thanks for the info

#103 Lilysmom

Lilysmom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

I use the corn cob bedding and the cages I have do not have the grid at the bottom, I was told the grid would give them bumble foot and that the ink from the paper was not safe for birds. Pauly and Lily both scavage on the bottom of the cage. I am getting rid of the corn cob bedding, praying it isn't too late.

#104 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

I'm so annoyed right now...Zach and I went to Petsmart yesterday, and were looking at their birds. They have a Jenday Conure (really beautiful, in adult plumage -just that makes me angry, the fact that it's been at the store for so long- but anyway...as we watched, it went to the bottom of the enclosure and started eating the bedding...it's this kind. I was like, "Oh no, that's not good at all...that can cause an impacted crop!" so we went to tell the girl in charge of that department, sort of a friend of Zach's (she is a regular customer at the pet store he works at). Her response was "Oh, yeah. He's crazy, he does that all the time!" and laughed it off. I told her all the problems it can cause in the future, and she sighed and said "I know. But we can't change it, the higher-ups won't let us."

It makes me so mad!!

#105 Lornas Gypsy

Lornas Gypsy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

Oh thanks so much i was thinking news paper could harm my bird Gypsy but now that i know it is ok i will keep using it as well as paper towels.:D

#106 Debys Fids

Debys Fids

Adv Member

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:42 PM

what about the Carefresh Bedding just incase I ever become a Granfid lol you never know with Opey and Blueberry around

#107 MsViv

MsViv

Adv Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for this information.

I was blessed to get my baby from a lady that uses a white recycled paper product. It cost a bit more then the non-white so that is what I got. Will go the the white or regular newspaper when this is gone as it's hard to see what the poop looks like.

I do have a question though... I have some puppy training pads that my dogs refuse to use and was wondering if I could use these on the bottom of the cage. (It doesn't have the wire bottom, as I pulled that out before I brought Sammie home. )
thanks
MsV

#108 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

just use plain ol newspaper. It is acid free and safe for birds. They don't need extravagant stuff. Puppie training pads are not safe, they have alot of fibers and stuff in that filling that will hurt your bird. I have used newspaper for years and Kiwi loves to tear up the newspaper and make little spit balls. Kiwi is almost 12 yrs old.....

#109 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:44 PM

Newspaper is all I use.
Christa

#110 MsViv

MsViv

Adv Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

just use plain ol newspaper. It is acid free and safe for birds. They don't need extravagant stuff. Puppie training pads are not safe, they have alot of fibers and stuff in that filling that will hurt your bird. I have used newspaper for years and Kiwi loves to tear up the newspaper and make little spit balls. Kiwi is almost 12 yrs old.....

Thanks for the reply. I talked to the lady I bought Sammie from and she said the same thing so I will check with neighbors to see if they have any papers they can give me.

MsV

Newspaper is all I use.
Christa

Thanks Christa, what I am now planning on doing.
MsV

#111 Roasted_Peppers

Roasted_Peppers

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:38 PM

That's horrible, I'm glad I found this. I've never heard of Organic Bedding but I'm glad I found this out before discovering the product without this warning. I've been using packing papers I get from my friend's father's motorcycle shop. I only pick the brown papers that are kinda cardboard like. I stay away from the colored ones and the white one's in case of possible bleaches or dyes. I did use newspaper before bringing Bella over to my bf's house.

#112 Gypsyqueen

Gypsyqueen

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

The person I bought my baby Quaker from told me to use wood shaving for his nest for him to sit in, but I bought nesting paper from petsmart it's all shredded paper I thought it was a better choice hope I was right. Please voice any opinions I don't want to make a mistake.

#113 DebJDuff

DebJDuff

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

I know all but Aspen shavings are bad for other furry critters, like my sugar gliders... no clue about birds, I'd think probably not good either.... pine and cedar are both bad IMO.
I find newspaper works best with them..... I did buy some of this other stuff for the birds..... tho, I am going to switch to newspaper since I think it will be less messy and easier to clean up.

This is that other stuff: It does last long... but for critters that soak up the cage with urine it holds the smell IMO

Attached File  IMAG0949.jpg   1.38MB   0 downloads

#114 Flow

Flow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Oh my gosh! That is frightening, thanks for info. I use corn cob but thankfully I have a grill in my cage so my little Geordie cannot get to it. But he can on play stand but it coming straight off.