MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Healthy Foods List

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

Eating healthy doesn't have to be difficult if you know what foods to feed.

The following is a list of Healthy Foods compiled by the members of Quakerparrots.com.

Please feel free to add your Healthy Food suggestions.

You can also refer to the Nutrition Table in the Quakerparrots.com article section.

Note: This list is based solely upon the personal experiences and opinions of the poster. Quakerparrots.com makes no guarantees about its accuracy or suitability for every bird, or its completeness.

#2 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:13 PM

Healthy Foods List

• Apple juice is a great anti fungal and will help clean out the crop and digestive system.
  • Cinnamon sticks Again they have medicinal purposes
  • Coconut FRESH right out of the shell. It has medicinal purposes as well.
  • Fresh Garlic Very little (very little) once in a blue moon. Does have medicinal purposes but this one can be over dosed. You really have to be careful with garlic. (I do use it and my Conures loved it more then life itself)
  • Plain Yogurt- Non flavored because it contains the least sugar. This product contains live cultures that can keep the gut flora in check. It can also clear sour crop.

Edited by Dee_, 11 May 2007 - 07:42 PM.

• Bettyboop and amschneider8 like this

#3 Uncle Zippy

Uncle Zippy

BCON=Beer Coming Out Nose

• Members
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Dee. smile.gif

As Dee said, if there is something that is missing or should be added to the list, either healthy or toxic, chime in.

#4 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

I was going to make a separate thread for toxic/harmful foods .. Just so someone reading doesn't confuse the two ..

#5 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:13 PM

Coconut FRESH right out of the shell. It has medicinal purposes as well.

Cinnamon sticks Again they have medicinal purposes

Fresh Garlic Very little (very little) once in a blue moon. Does have medicinal purposes but this one can be over dosed. You really have to be careful with garlic. (I do use it and my Conures loved it more then life itself)

Apple juice is a great anti fungal and will help clean out the crop and digestive system.

Plain Yogurt- Non flavored because it contains the least sugar. This product contains live cultures that can keep the gut flora in check. It can also clear sour crop.

#6 BirdTrouble

BirdTrouble

Adv Member

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

Here's what mine love:

Organic Quinoa: grown in South America before the conquistadors arrived and tried to wipe it out. Considered a complete food as it contains almost everything one needs to survive.

Organic CousCous: a middle eastern grain product that has been used for centuries and is perfect for getting stuck all over a little lovebirds face smile.gif

Dried organic Amarillo chilies: big hit, can be chewed, eaten, shredded and thrown by birds and stuffed into toys and cooked into food by Parronts.

Organic Strawberries: not only tasty, but it's great for either wiping your beak on your parronts white clothes, or for staining white eyepatches to scare the parront.

Almonds in the shell: Satisfies destruction needs to get it out of the shell, and followed by tasty nutty goodness.... also good for throwing

Curry Paste: mix into grain and veggie mixes to add an extra spicey flavor

#7 Lucky13

Lucky13

Adv Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (BirdTrouble @ Jun 13 2007, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's what mine love:

Organic Quinoa: grown in South America before the conquistadors arrived and tried to wipe it out. Considered a complete food as it contains almost everything one needs to survive.

Organic CousCous: a middle eastern grain product that has been used for centuries and is perfect for getting stuck all over a little lovebirds face smile.gif

Dried organic Amarillo chilies: big hit, can be chewed, eaten, shredded and thrown by birds and stuffed into toys and cooked into food by Parronts.

Organic Strawberries: not only tasty, but it's great for either wiping your beak on your parronts white clothes, or for staining white eyepatches to scare the parront.

Almonds in the shell: Satisfies destruction needs to get it out of the shell, and followed by tasty nutty goodness.... also good for throwing

Curry Paste: mix into grain and veggie mixes to add an extra spicey flavor

I am getting a baby quaker in about 6 weeks, but I feed my lovebirds whole wheat rice and lentils--they love both and end up with it all over their beaks! Great picture!

#8 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:28 PM

Millet!! Yes, it is healthy.

Some people feel that millet isn't good for birds because it is fattening. But that couldn't be further from the truth!! Millet is a grain, and not a seed. It is a very healthy part of a parrot's diet. To read about millet and other healthy grains, Click~Here

#9 lethalfire

lethalfire

Adv Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

Here are some links to natural and organic stuff to help our fids.......

Aloe

This one is on Grapefruit Seed Extract
GSE

And this one is on Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

ACV

I know I'm new here, but I'm a bit of a research geek, and have found a LOT of good information.
  • Bettyboop likes this

#10 Prettybird1212

Prettybird1212

Adv Member

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

fresh fruits and veggies are also good for birds!

#11 PacosMom

PacosMom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 8,008 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:33 PM

Yes, almost all fresh veggies are good for them, except avacado.

Fruits are also good, but, it is best to reserve fruits for feeding later in the evening. Like a kid with ice cream, they will fill up on the sweets, and not always eat their main diet.

#12 kylawyer

kylawyer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the healthy food list!!! Right now I can only get mine to eat Zupreem Avian Maintenance Fruit blend flavor pellets and dried fruit (pineapple, banana & papaya). I only use the dry fruits ofr treats for good behavior and to say good morning to them. How do I get them to eat other stuff? I've tried brocolli, carrots, & coconut. They won't touch any of it. I do try and spread some Healthy Toppings in with their pellets. Any suggestions on getting them to eat the real stuff?

#13 kate

kate

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

Sometimes it is just finding HOW they want their veggies. Some like them, diced slivered , mashed , cooked, raw, just keep trying. Mine will eat raw veggies better than frozen or cooked. Slivered carrots better than sliced or chunked. My eclectus likes dried banana but wont eat raw. My grey likes raw but not dried. Just got to find their taste.They all like cooked sweet patatoe, mash some banana in it and then add some black walnuts..yummy, Somtimes it just takes getting them interested in trying new things. when i got my grey he was on an all seed diet. It wasnt long though (and after acting like a complete fool carrying on over everything that i put in the bowl like an idiot) how goood it was. he now trust that anything i say is mmmm goood ,must be and trys it.

#14 Reepecheeps's Mom

Reepecheeps's Mom

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

my birdy likes her soft food.
I get a whole bunch of stuff together to make a large batch.
I boil till pasta is soft. The rice and beans will still be a little crunchy, so they wont so to complete mush.
whole wheat pasta (2 bags different shapes)
brown rice (2+ cups)
dried beans/ peas/ lentils (that have been soaked overnight)
(I use like 12 bean soup mix w/o spices)

then I add minced raw veggies
broccoli
carrots
corn on the cob nuggets
peas
green beans
jalepanos
bell peppers
and whatever else you want

I take half of the mixture and put it in a large tupperware container and then break the rest up into little 2-3 serving sizes and you can either use vacuum seal bags, baby food jars, or small tupperware. Then put all but 1 small container in the freezer. Put the remaining small container in the fridge.
I give her soft food every other day. So every four days or so I take one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost for the next day. When you start to get low on small serving sized containers defrost the big frozen container and break it into small containers. It keeps a good rotaion of fresh soft food for Reepecheep. Its kinda mushy but she likes it like that.
You can change according to the texture your birdy likes. For more chunks dont soak the beans overnight before you cook them and cut the veggies into larger pieces.

I was also thinking about mixing ground flax seed into the mix before I feed it to her, but I am not sure if it is as good for QP's as it is for people and dogs. If anyone knows I would apreciate the advice.
  • Bettyboop and ittlbittlbre like this

#15 momssixpack

momssixpack

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

Do I start freaking out now!!?!?!?! I just read a thread that says dried fruits are bad for Mr. Nibbles!!! I printed the list you linked us to. Where can I get more info on what to feed him, maybe meal ideas. What's the difference between organic and regular fresh fruits and veggies. Other than they tear up my actual babies?
QUOTE (Dee_ @ May 11 2007, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eating healthy doesn't have to be difficult if you know what foods to feed.

The following is a list of Healthy Foods compiled by the members of Quakerparrots.com.

Please feel free to add your Healthy Food suggestions.

You can also refer to the Nutrition Table in the Quakerparrots.com article section.

Note: This list is based solely upon the personal experiences and opinions of the poster. Quakerparrots.com makes no guarantees about its accuracy or suitability for every bird, or its completeness.

#16 Min

Min

Adv Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Reepecheeps's Mom @ Nov 4 2007, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was also thinking about mixing ground flax seed into the mix before I feed it to her, but I am not sure if it is as good for QP's as it is for people and dogs. If anyone knows I would apreciate the advice.

You really work on feeding well! Yay! Flax seed is great. Some birds eat it better if it is ground up. Many people use small coffee grinders dedicated to grinding flax seed.
I use it with my fids. If you use flax seed oil as an additive, there is no need to add flax seed.

#17 Reepecheeps's Mom

Reepecheeps's Mom

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

Yea! I bought some organic ground flax seed for my ratties and I am glad the Reepecheep can enjoy it too!

#18 moss

moss

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

my quaker has recently discovered fresh peel'd water chestnuts .. juicy & crunchy ..

#19 Arlene

Arlene

aka irish

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (momssixpack @ Nov 6 2007, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do I start freaking out now!!?!?!?! I just read a thread that says dried fruits are bad for Mr. Nibbles!!! I printed the list you linked us to. Where can I get more info on what to feed him, maybe meal ideas. What's the difference between organic and regular fresh fruits and veggies. Other than they tear up my actual babies?

Dried fruits contain sulphur. Not good. Organic dried fruits do not contain sulphur. Good.

#20 tampaclavin

tampaclavin

Adv Member

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (lethalfire @ Jul 7 2007, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are some links to natural and organic stuff to help our fids.......

Aloe

This one is on Grapefruit Seed Extract
GSE

And this one is on Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

ACV

I know I'm new here, but I'm a bit of a research geek, and have found a LOT of good information.

Hi, Hopefully you will read my reply. I would like to know what is best to use in your parrot's bath water. I read about the natural remedies on your list, but I don't know which one is best for the bath. Please let me know.

Thank you

Tampaclavin biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif