MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Healthy Foods List

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 xxshelly

xxshelly

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 02:40 PM

My quaker loves plain oatmeal--no sugar no milk, just quaker oats and water microwaved. Is this good for him? He's one of those strange little birds that won't eat pellets, loves seeds (although I don't allow them very often), loves fruit but is light on the veggies.

#22 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (xxshelly @ Feb 7 2008, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My quaker loves plain oatmeal--no sugar no milk, just quaker oats and water microwaved. Is this good for him? He's one of those strange little birds that won't eat pellets, loves seeds (although I don't allow them very often), loves fruit but is light on the veggies.

Yep, plain oatmeal is just fine.

I have to wonder though, from your description of what he eats, what is his main food source? Parrots should have a main food source of either pellets or seeds. Something that is left in his cage 24 hours a day for him to eat. While seeds aren't the greatest option, it's better then nothing. Have you tried offering different types of pellets? A lot of pellet makers will send samples out for you to try, which beats buying brand after brand to try and find one your bird likes. Also, there is a great conversion method which is stickied at the top of this forum that works wonderful at converting a bird to a pelleted diet.

#23 NewsWrthy

NewsWrthy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 11:02 PM

I learned about aloe the hard way. I Have 6 Rat Terriers and one was dinning on my huge aloe plant. I freaked and called the vet. He laughed and told me that must be why my guys are all so healthy. I let every one have a small dose ocasionally now. Cheese is a big debate, some say never some say often. I don't feed cheese regularly and never to the smaller birds, because the eat less and it,s harder to regulate thier diet than with an Amazon or such. I had a blue front that could smell sharp cheeder for a mile, and you had Better give him a HUNK.

#24 SanDee

SanDee

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:58 PM

I feed my QP about 1/4 teaspoon of light cottage cheese daily. He loves chicken and turkey also, but that seems unnatural to me :-) I make him corn muffins with creamed corn in them, and always include the egg shell. I bake them in mini muffins tins, so they are just the right size for him. He loves strawberries, kiwi, banana, but isn't fond of grapes, cherries, or oranges. He's pretty picky and either loves it right away, or hates it with the first bite, and won't try it a second time.
  • Vicki S. likes this

#25 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:28 AM

Of course you all know that Milk Thistle Seed cleans the liver but I have read many avian vet articles that say Schisandra berries are even better for the liver, not only in birds, but in humans as well.

Another thing that is good for the liver is Dandelion. If they are out of season, you can buy the leaves. It's suggested to give only a small amount til the system gets used to it. they can also eat the flowers when they are in season.

Another good plant for them is Purple Cone Flower. So many of us have them in our gardens. They can have the flower, the leaves and the stems (sparingly at first of course). Chickweed is anothething that's good for them. there is a whole list of herbs and flowers, but there is also a list of toxic flowers. Be careful.
wub.gif

EDIT: Oh SAN DEE, I just read an article that said some fruits are far too acid for birds and Kiwi was one of the worst. That's so odd with so many named Kiwi here.

#26 Nessie

Nessie

Adv Member

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 06:50 AM

My bird Nessie is a funny Qp
she is fussy about some things, she will eat:

Dried Goji Berries (an asian super berry, just keep an eye on their poo because she scared me half to death because her
poo turned red from the goji berry)
Dried Kiwi fruit (she will not eat fresh kiwi fruit for some reason)
Dried Mango (is her most beloved fruit and will not drop it)
Pumpkin seeds (she won't drop these either)
Almonds (she likes em but not her fav)
Pear (she loves and eats it from my hand)
Sweet potato (cooked, she thinks its great to mash around her face and then clean it off)
Brocoli (adores, her second fav vegie)
Bokchoy (her first fav vegie)

#27 PHENOMENON

PHENOMENON

Adv Member

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

I found the link below outlining all the poisonous and safe plants for birds, (actually he's one of my Vets for the snakes):

http://www.seavs.com..._studies/birds/

Then there's this list:

Toxic if Eaten and/or Inhaled

Asbestos
Permanent Marker
Rodenticides

Bleach
Kerosene
Shellac

Caffeine
Lye
Shoe Polish

Carbon Monoxide
Matches
Spot Remover

Chocolate
Mothballs
Spray Starch

Cigarette Smoke
Nail Polish
Suntan Lotion

Deodorants
Nail Polish Remover
Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Drain Cleaner
Nitrogen Dioxide
Wax

Flea Bombs
Non-Stick Cookware
Pesticides

Flea Collars
Oil Paint

Floor Polish
Oven Cleaner

Formaldehyde
Paint Remover
Wave Solution(perms)

Gasoline
Paint Thinner
Wood Preservatives

Hair Dye
Paint

Herbicides
Perfume

#28 Redd

Redd

Adv Member

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (PHENOMENON @ Feb 5 2009, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I found the link below outlining all the poisonous and safe plants for birds, (actually he's one of my Vets for the snakes):

http://www.seavs.com..._studies/birds/

Then there's this list:

Toxic if Eaten and/or Inhaled

Asbestos
Permanent Marker
Rodenticides

Bleach
Kerosene
Shellac

Caffeine
Lye
Shoe Polish

Carbon Monoxide
Matches
Spot Remover

Chocolate
Mothballs
Spray Starch

Cigarette Smoke
Nail Polish
Suntan Lotion

Deodorants
Nail Polish Remover
Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Drain Cleaner
Nitrogen Dioxide
Wax

Flea Bombs
Non-Stick Cookware
Pesticides

Flea Collars
Oil Paint

Floor Polish
Oven Cleaner

Formaldehyde
Paint Remover
Wave Solution(perms)

Gasoline
Paint Thinner
Wood Preservatives

Hair Dye
Paint

Herbicides
Perfume

my GOD they are higher maintenance than a newborn. LOL
All good to know though, but I'm sure it's all trial and error with every Fid.

I did fresh broccoli and peppers tonight and my tiel or QP didn't like it, but I did catch them nibbling on the apple. Up until now though, my tiel has only had seed and loves loves LOVES her millet; she gets into this chatter, like she's talking to it whenever she gets it. In fact, it's how I get her to come into her cage. She's just a baby so hopefully kiwi will get a clue here. smile.gif

#29 Dolly's Mom

Dolly's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

Post by Reepecheeps's Mom

Thank you so much for the recipe! I have made my grocery list and am going to give it a try. What a way to get everything in one setting. Ofcourse, I also added a few other items I can use for treats.
Question: do you warm the mix before feeding?

#30 Dolly's Mom

Dolly's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Reepecheeps's Mom @ Nov 4 2007, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my birdy likes her soft food.
I get a whole bunch of stuff together to make a large batch.
I boil till pasta is soft. The rice and beans will still be a little crunchy, so they wont so to complete mush.
whole wheat pasta (2 bags different shapes)
brown rice (2+ cups)
dried beans/ peas/ lentils (that have been soaked overnight)
(I use like 12 bean soup mix w/o spices)

then I add minced raw veggies
broccoli
carrots
corn on the cob nuggets
peas
green beans
jalepanos
bell peppers
and whatever else you want

I take half of the mixture and put it in a large tupperware container and then break the rest up into little 2-3 serving sizes and you can either use vacuum seal bags, baby food jars, or small tupperware. Then put all but 1 small container in the freezer. Put the remaining small container in the fridge.
I give her soft food every other day. So every four days or so I take one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge to defrost for the next day. When you start to get low on small serving sized containers defrost the big frozen container and break it into small containers. It keeps a good rotaion of fresh soft food for Reepecheep. Its kinda mushy but she likes it like that.
You can change according to the texture your birdy likes. For more chunks dont soak the beans overnight before you cook them and cut the veggies into larger pieces.

I was also thinking about mixing ground flax seed into the mix before I feed it to her, but I am not sure if it is as good for QP's as it is for people and dogs. If anyone knows I would apreciate the advice.

LOVE THIS!!!
I made this up and Dolly dives in the bowl each morning. She doesn't eat a lot but she definitely isn't afraid to try new things. I bought the 'bunch of bean soup'(dried beans) and cooked a large variety of beans to add to it. I read on a toxic or unhealthy list not to feed onions and limas so I picked out the limas from the bean mix. Does anyone know if lima beans are toxic or just fattening?

#31 Dolly's Mom

Dolly's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Safe Fruits and Vegetables for Birds

Safe Fruits:
Apple
Apricot
Banana
Blackberry
Blackcurrant
Blood orange
Blueberry
Cantaloupe melon
Cherry
Cranberry
Dried dates
Figs (fresh)
Gooseberries
Grape
Guava
Honeydew melon
Kiwifruit
Lychee (Litchi)
Mandarin
Mango
Melon
Nectarine
Orange
Papaya
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Plum
Pomegranate
Quince
Raspberry
Red Currants
Strawberry
Tangerine
Yellow Plum

Make sure that all apple, orange and other seeds are removed before letting your birds eat the fresh foods. And make sure you wash all fruits and vegetable thoroughly. It's always best to go organic for your parrots to stay away from pesticides.

Healthy and Safe Vegetables for Birds:
Artichoke
Beans, cooked only
Bell Peppers
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Carrot
Cauliflower
Celery stalks
Chinese Cabbage
Corn (milky & soft)
Cucumber
Eggplant (fruit only)
Endive
Fennel
Green Beans
Hot Peppers
Kale
Lettuce
Parsley
Peas
Potato (cooked)
Pumpkin (and seeds)
Radish Red Beet (fresh)
Radicchio
Romain Lettuce
Spinach
Sprouts
Sweet Potato
Turnips
Watercress
Yams
Zucchini

Again, make sure vegetables are washed and preferably organic. The chemicals they feed the plants will harm you and your birds.

I got this information from HERE: http://www.parrot-an...-for-birds.html

#32 Quakers-rule

Quakers-rule

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

My quaker is on roudybush crumbles that have everything in them and really don't need extra veggies or fruit.I have tried strawberrys and she doens't like them.I give some peas and carrotts and corn and put them in the microwave and then give them to her in the evening she sometimes will eat carrotts and sometimes not.And fruit she will eat some not big on it.In the morning I give her some cherrios and corn chex and she dunks them in her water and eats them we call her cherrios her donuts.On weekends when I cook breakfast for hubby I will give her some egg and a corner or toast.I know I have heard over the years to make up meals and freeze them in ice cube trays and that way you can take out what you want as you go.Put veggies and fruits brown rice, and (organic chicken baby food) and after you mix it in blender put in bowl add some of the birds regular diet pelletts and a raisin on top and freeze it and use as you need it.You could add any favorite fruit and veggies and your good to go with twelve meals in the ice cube tray.Just thought I'd pass it along to you all maybe some one has said this if so sorry for the repeat.

#33 sjs

sjs

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for putting that in an easy to read format. My little guy (Gordon) likes corn, oranges and brown rice. I'll have to get some other things for him/us.I got some pumpkin seeds; he was not impressed. I made pancakes the other day and he gobbled up his little bit. He sniffed some apple slices but passed on them.
He eats his "Roudybush Mini" pellets regularly, so I guess he's getting "balanced" nutrition. Last week I dropped a sliver of cheese (Colby Jack) and he had a couple of mouthfuls. Then he couldn't get the piece that was stuck on his beak to come off. After helping him with that, I frantically searched to see if cheese was O.K. It will NOT be a regular part of his diet.
~Sandee~

#34 Rosemary

Rosemary

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:34 PM

Millet!! Yes, it is healthy.

Some people feel that millet isn't good for birds because it is fattening. But that couldn't be further from the truth!! Millet is a grain, and not a seed. It is a very healthy part of a parrot's diet. To read about millet and other healthy grains, Click~Here

wow i really try to keep dawn on millet for keagen (my budgie) but he really loves it!
im so glad its healthy!
thank you

#35 CarleyJean

CarleyJean

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

QuakerQuaker loves baby carrots, apples, popcorn, spinach.

#36 sookiebaby

sookiebaby

Adv Member

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

see below

Edited by sookiebaby, 17 June 2010 - 07:40 PM.

#37 sookiebaby

sookiebaby

Adv Member

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:40 PM

kale is Sookies favorite and good for them! Spinach also!

#38 Lornas Gypsy

Lornas Gypsy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

Gypsy loves his carrots and grapes.Ido cook him a veggie blend of corn carrots peas and green beans but he only nibles on them.Thanks for all the lists of good foods i will let Gypsy try each and every one of them.:D

#39 robbieerin

robbieerin

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

hey peeps just a question how often should i change gertys seed dish??? also should i take her seed dish out when i want to give her some fruit or veg???

#40 Lyssa00

Lyssa00

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:25 PM

Does this apply to quaker birds becausethere is pictures of african greys and other types. i know this is an all quaker but does this apply to all birds?