MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Toxic Or Possibly Harmful Foods

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:37 PM

The following is a list of Toxic or Possibly Harmful Foods compiled by the members of Quakerparrots.com.

Please feel free to add your Toxic or Possibly Harmful Food suggestions.

You can also refer to the Nutrition Table in the Quakerparrots.com article section.

Note: This list is based solely upon the personal experiences and opinions of the poster. Quakerparrots.com makes no guarantees about its accuracy or suitability for every bird, or its completeness.

#2 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 05:53 PM

Toxic or Possibly Harmful Foods List

#3 Randa

Randa

Adv Member

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:25 AM

I read somewhere that both chocolate and avocado are highly toxic to Quakers. Can't remember where I read it though. rolleyes.gif

#4 AngelaD

AngelaD

Adv Member

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:58 PM

I can't see the list. sad.gif

#5 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Nella @ May 28 2007, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't see the list. sad.gif

There isn't one ... tongue.gif

We started the thread so members could add their thoughts on toxic or harmful foods .. When we get a few items listed I will add them to the first post .. biggrin.gif

There is however a link in the first post that takes you to a table in QP.com website where you will find some bad foods listed..

#6 AngelaD

AngelaD

Adv Member

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

Oh, how embarrassing. Thanks for the reply.

Nella

#7 Dee

Dee

The Boys!

• Admin
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (Nella @ May 28 2007, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, how embarrassing. Thanks for the reply.

Nella

No problem .. biggrin.gif

#8 rivka17

rivka17

Adv Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:46 AM

On the page that was linked to, in the first post it said that carbonated beverages are bad. Does anyone know why?

My husband and I started getting in the habit of making our own soda since all the sodas out there have either too much sugar or artifical sweeteners which make me sick. We make a 50/50 mix of plain seltzer water (nothing but carbonated filtered water) and apple juice with sometimes a dash of 100% pure cranberry juice concentrate.

My QP absolutely loves the stuff though I only let her get a few sips. It was hilarious the first time she tried it. I had a cup that I had not drunk from yet and I was standing next to her so of course she wanted to try it. One sip, and she does this double take like "wow! that was not water, yum, I want more"

Anyhow is it bad for her to occasionally have a little bit? Is cranberry ok for QPs?

#9 AngelaD

AngelaD

Adv Member

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

I have heard that birds cannot belch so that might be dangerous in large quantities. It sounds like you have it under control, though. smile.gif

Nella

#10 Dina

Dina

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

I've read that milk is harmful because Quakers cannot digest it. However I've been on websites that contain meal recipes that have milk as an ingredient. I don't get it. Can anyone clear up this confusion?

#11 Tamy

Tamy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

I believe birds are lactose intolerant, which means they cannot digest the milk products properly. Many animals r this way actually. When the milk is cooked as in baking it breaks down the enzymes the birds cannot digest.So using milk in recipes is fine.I'm not an expert but it works this way with humans alot of times.

#12 cookiemom

cookiemom

cookiemom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

Yes, but lactose can irritate the gut and cause inflammation.

Something else I want to warn about - particularly people in the UK as Marks & Spencers has just introduced them in their produce section: sweet pea shoots. It sounds like a lovely treat for your fids, right? Variety and all that. Well, if you scroll down all those very lengthy lists, you'll see "sweet pea" listed as dangerous. Stay away from them!

#13 cookiemom

cookiemom

cookiemom

• 741 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:45 PM

Guys, could it be that sweet pea in American English is not the same as sweet pea in British English?

#14 cookiemom

cookiemom

cookiemom

• 741 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:46 AM

Hello,

It appears that the sites listing sweet pea as toxic are talking about Lathyrus spp.

However, there is also an edible plant out there that is called sweet pea. That is probably something called Pisum sativum. I am not a pea expert, though.

Ange

PS
The info about lactose came from my vet.

#15 Gizmo #1

Gizmo #1

Ben-Gizmo~Julie

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:27 PM

Sunflower seeds? The normal ones we eat high in sugar and fat.

#16 Lisa1957

Lisa1957

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:11 AM

[b]CHOCOLATE AND ADVOCODOES?(SP)ARE TOXIC!! I HEARD OF A FRIENDS BIRD THAT TOOK A NIBBLE OF DIP MADE WITH ADVOCODOES AND IT WAS DEAD IN SECONDS STARTED TO BLEED FROM MOUTH AND BEAK AND DIED...NO NO CHOC OR ADVOCODOES

#17 Simiesmom

Simiesmom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:08 AM

I've read from Bird Talk magazine that avocadoes and chocolate are definitely toxic for birds but that we also shouldn't give them much dairy (lactose intolerant),red meats but I don't remember the reason, but it was enough that I stopped giving it to my Quaker. Also on the dairy note, cheese is particularly bad as it gets gummed up in their crops and it could harden their and then you must take them to a vet. Of course sugar is bad as is salt and processed junk food but my Quaker gets his beak on potato chips occasionally! Also has had a couple tastes of vanilla ice cream, but only a few licks!

#18 Prettybird1212

Prettybird1212

Adv Member

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:43 AM

Avocados, chocolate in any form, caffeine in any form, raw or green potatoes, alcohol in any form, rhubarb, plums, salted chips, pretzels, crackers (these are made with super iodized salt), any greasy foods (such as fried chicken and chips), dried fruit that has been treated with sulfur dioxide, peanut shells (unsalted peanuts are fine), salt, butter, any of the cabbage family, grapefruit, lemons or lemon juice, onions, mushrooms, seeds from apples, pears, cherry pits, nectarine pits, etc.(they contain cyanide). These are all very toxic and indigestible for birds.

#19 Andrea Riggan

Andrea Riggan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:55 AM

when i think of toxic i think of somthing that will instantly kill... i agree with toxic things being avacado, chocolate, alcohol, apple seeds, fruit pits, but the others are just very bad... chips, crackers, greasy foods are not healthy by any means but they won't instantly kill a bird. i've also never heard of lemons or grapefruit being toxic or okay? whats the consensus on that?

#20 Kate T

Kate T

Adv Member

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

I paniced yesterday....are mangos safe? I gave Chicky Baby Mango and she loved it and then I freaked because I didn't know if this was on the harmful list. She seems fine, so I hope all is well.

She still has that cough after being on Baytril for 9 days. She is eating well and playing and doesn't seem sick except upon waking up and settling in for the night and nap time. That's when she starts coughing. When she slows down and is not playing. I'm waiting to hear from the vet as to the next step. I've only had her for 3 wks. (she's 10 wks old)

Thanks
Kate