MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Toxic Or Possibly Harmful Foods

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Andrea Riggan

Andrea Riggan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:01 PM

mangos are safe.

hopefully you will hear from your vet soon... i hope your baby gets better!

#22 Grim-is-my-parrot

Grim-is-my-parrot

Adv Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Nym @ Jun 11 2007, 03:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[b]CHOCOLATE AND ADVOCODOES?(SP)ARE TOXIC!! I HEARD OF A FRIENDS BIRD THAT TOOK A NIBBLE OF DIP MADE WITH ADVOCODOES AND IT WAS DEAD IN SECONDS STARTED TO BLEED FROM MOUTH AND BEAK AND DIED...NO NO CHOC OR ADVOCODOES

oops. i fed my bird some ripe avocado a couple of months ago and he was fine. he didn't like it that much so i didn't give it to him again. could the bird have died because of something else in the dip? i read somewhere that only the avocado plant, stems, seeds and unripe fruit can be toxic to them.

is Soy Milk dangerous? it contains no lactose. i've never fed it to my Quaker but i'd like to know in case he ever tries to get into it.

#23 birdie2424

birdie2424

Adv Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

And I fed my QP some grapefruit the other day! How is this harmful & how is it any different from oranges & other fruit? Wow - I really need an actual list!

#24 Viki2

Viki2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (Andrea Riggan @ Jul 27 2007, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when i think of toxic i think of somthing that will instantly kill... i agree with toxic things being avacado, chocolate, alcohol, apple seeds, fruit pits, but the others are just very bad... chips, crackers, greasy foods are not healthy by any means but they won't instantly kill a bird. i've also never heard of lemons or grapefruit being toxic or okay? whats the consensus on that?

Andrea:
The picture of your Shepard made me cry, we had one like that for 16 years, he finally passd away but he was the best dog we ever, ever had. He would protect the kids when they were 4 & 5 years old like you wouldn't believe! He was the best dog in the whole world (with the exception of yours of course!
Thanks for the memories, Viki

#25 Kiwi Bird Two

Kiwi Bird Two

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

No sugar cookies or waffles! I believe that the sugar in either the cookies or the waffles got him very grumpy towards me the next day.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Jack.jpg   79.67KB   30 downloads

#26 Starshine

Starshine

Adv Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

Okay, I know avocados are bad for birds, but does anyone know WHY?

#27 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:21 PM

I'm not actually sure why, but I just googled it and one site says it causes cardiac arrest. I do know that they are VERY high in fat, that might have something to do with how they digest it? unsure.gif

Not really sure but I do know it's a controversial issue as some people still believe they're safe but I definitely wouldn't feed it to your bird!

#28 Starshine

Starshine

Adv Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:42 PM

No, I def won't, I just think it's odd that we all KNOW it's bad, but not why. Lol.

#29 Bubbles

Bubbles

Adv Member

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

I have searched the internet before I found all of you and everything you are mentioning I've seen on the lists. I do have a question I want my Bubbles to live a long healthy life, is there anything wrong with an occasional sample of things...for instance I was having some white corn chips with salsa, Bubbles was checking me out so I gave him a chip...he loved it! biggrin.gif It was round and he would take a bite and turn it so the chip stayed round..it just got smaller...very cute rolleyes.gif ....but here might be the bad one...I was having some McDonalds fries..and of course he was eyeballing me...so I gave him one.When he first touched it with his tongue...and must have gotten a grain of salt...the look on his face was priceless...he must have thought it was yummy..... biggrin.gif I know it is deep fried with grease and had salt...but is it OK for an occasional 'treat'? mellow.gif

#30 olafsmom

olafsmom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:07 PM

Didn't know about cabbage plants. We usually give Olaf "birdy dinner," which consists of the foods we are having for dinner that are safe for him. He never touches the cabbage, but we always offer it. He's curious about what we have and if he doesn't get a sample, he demands "birdy dinner" until we get up and get him a dish! What's up with cabbage?

#31 LisaandChicken

LisaandChicken

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

That's what I heard to, but when Chicken was about a year or so old, I came in to find the little devil had gotten into a candy bar, ripped open the package and ate quite a bit. (This was before he got clipped and before he broke his wing) Called my vet, in tears thinking he was going to die or something. He just told me to keep an eye on him. It never phased him. Quite honestly, my quaker eats chocolate, loves cheese, and, when I'm not looking, my soda. I don't let him eat it on a regular basis, but he does get it and has never had any problems at all. He's very stubborn about what he does eat, but I seriously doubt it's from the dairy and chocolate because he only gets it occasionally.
So, it makes me wonder how someone "knows" that something is toxic to a bird. Or maybe Chicken is just an exception to the rule?

quote name='Randa' date='May 20 2007, 03:25 AM' post='294367']
I read somewhere that both chocolate and avocado are highly toxic to Quakers. Can't remember where I read it though. rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

#32 Flock Mom

Flock Mom

Macaws, conures, & quakers OH MY!

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

After the recent nutriberrie discussion I thought I would post here for reference:

Although the package may state nutriberries are a healthy diet they are only an OK TREAT at best. They are held together with sugar (from molasses) and being that quakers (and several other birds) are quite prone to fatty liver diseaese they should be fed only as an occasional treat, never a primary diet smile.gif

NUTRIBERRIES ARE NOT DIRECTLY TOXIC OR HARMFUL <--just so there is no confusion here.

#33 AnnJ

AnnJ

Adv Member

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

The nutriberries looked so good, I tried one...it isn't bad !

#34 Reepecheeps's Mom

Reepecheeps's Mom

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:11 AM

I've heard that Peanut butter was bad, that they would choke on it.

on a lighter note, I'm glad to see cottage cheese is good. I gave a little bite to Reepecheep and she loved it! I thought "Oh I hope this is good for her, she likes it too much", hehe

#35 Tantrix

Tantrix

Adv Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Dina @ Jun 2 2007, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read that milk is harmful because Quakers cannot digest it. However I've been on websites that contain meal recipes that have milk as an ingredient. I don't get it. Can anyone clear up this confusion?

Yes regular milk contains enzymes Quakers (or any bird) can not digest. When used in bird recipes those enzymes are broken down during the cooking process and it is the OK for your Quaker.

#36 jen

jen

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:24 PM

I think the only things I would add to that Bad Stuff list (from the link in Dee's post) is chocolate. I know my avian books say to avoid chocolate, avocados, caffeine, and alcohol. So we do! ohmy.gif) I usually don't feed Merlin much of anything that would be unhealthy for us.. i.e. fatty, salty carb loaded junk foods--although--oh boy an occasional french fry goes over very well, and pizza crust is definately loved too. LoL! Onions can cause a type of anemia too--but mostly in dogs, and rarely cats--so I don't feed those to him either. I don't know if actually it causes anemia in birds or not. Anyone else know? I am researching it, so if I find something interesting--I will post it! ohmy.gif)

Avocados contain a substance called persin--in the leaves, barks etc--that cause respiratory problems. Here is another link that gives some good info on toxic stuff...

http://birds.suite10...and_toxic_foods

#37 jen

jen

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:38 PM

I found another really in depth list of both non-toxic and toxic--including trees (for their branches) which I found interesting..

http://www.parrot-an...-for-birds.html

#38 Prettybird1212

Prettybird1212

Adv Member

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

lemons and grapefruits contain Cyonide. Cyonide is very poisonous to birds.

#39 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:04 PM

If I have a single doubt, I just don't give it to them. Chocolate may or may not kill instantly but it builds in the system over time...like grease. ohmy.gif

#40 Gizmo #1

Gizmo #1

Ben-Gizmo~Julie

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

Bird poop not good for them to eat