MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Better Pets - Male Or Female?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donut

donut

Tricia & Wayne

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

Hi, we are about to adopt a hand reared quaker. We were wondering if a male will be easier and more friendly than a female? Thanx heaps guys. T.

#2 dawnkyung

dawnkyung

Adv Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hiya -

I have a male, but I've heard that females are really no different than males in terms of affection and speaking ability. I looked for a male because I was traumatized as a child by losing our female cockatiel to an egg-binding incident.

With that said, I love Pierre and he is very loving and is already trying to say things (he's about 4 months). He's also very smart and learns quickly!

#3 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

i'm one of those people who have chosen not to find out the gender of my baby. i call him a boy but i don't know if he is.

i'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter if the animal is a boy or girl... it's all about how the animal is raised and how much time is spent training.

#4 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

There are pros and cons to either Gender I've had both, actually I think I have both now...I know I have for sure 3 females and I haven't taken the time to have the other one checked but As far as personality goes I don't find much difference personally. Both sexes have the capability to be excellent talkers but it doesn't necessarily mean they will; but the majority will.

Just from my own observations both sexes can be territorial just for different reasons so to me it doesn't really matter what the sex is but its always good to know what it is just so you can watch for problems easier if you know their females etc with egg binding problems etc.

I've found, that if you let the bird pick you rather than you picking the bird there seems to be more of a connection then And if you allow that to happen or you have the choice to let them pick you, your bond is more apt to be a little stronger...but that's just my opinion, no scientific proof on that.

Good luck with finding just the right quaker.

#5 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

i totally agree with Connie. i have the most awesome connection with Cricket. i went to an exotic bird store where they had 3 baby quakers for sale. #11 was already sold so i asked to see #12. i was new with birds and didn't really know what to do.

he was only a month old and he clung to my chest. after a few minutes i asked to see #14. i went to hand #12 back to her and he jumped out of my hands and back to my chest and cuddled underneath my chin.

i knew right then and there that #12 had chosen me. i lived close enough to the store that i made visits during the week until i could bring him home and i know we're a match made in Heaven! that's why it doesn't matter to me whether he's male or female!!

#6 donut

donut

Tricia & Wayne

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hi. Thanx to all who replied. Really appreciate the advice. Tricia.