MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Foraging Toys

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RavenclawPrefect

RavenclawPrefect

Adv Member

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

I think Zazu needs to work a bit harder at finding food rather than saunter casually over to his food dish and then be picky about what is in there. I was recently reading how wild bird spend so much time a day looking for food and I think it will occupy him nicely to search for his food.

I got him the Can 'O Nuts but am interested to know what other foraging toys people use and like. I also have hidden pumpkin seeds in various toys for him to find.

#2 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:33 AM

We have a similar foraging toy but Casey's like "No thanks! That's too much work!" ... she gets tired of it pretty fast! rolleyes.gif

There are tons of wonderful foraging ideas found on this site... Happy foraging Zazu! biggrin.gif

#3 Hana

Hana

Adv Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

I decided I'd download that pdf as well to prepare myself as I have been looking at lots of foraging toys for when I get my baby. This pdf is full of wonderful ideas! Thank you very much for the link.

#4 K Yager

K Yager

Adv Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

My vet says to use multiple bowls and to put them in different places in the cage (if possible). He also recommended using paper, kleenex, tp, ect and cover the bowl with it so that the bird will have to break through to get at the food - works well if you bowl sits in a ring holder because you can just tuck the covering down in the ring (if you can picture what I am talking about). You just have to check that they figure it out and get to it. You can also put non-edibles in their bowl too, then they have to pick and sort through what they can eat/not eat. Little wooden foot toys work well for this.

#5 RavenclawPrefect

RavenclawPrefect

Adv Member

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

Thanks! I got him a few more toys where he has to figure out how to get to the food and also a foraging system where he has to rip through boxes. I did notice that he was working on the can 'o nuts through the day, trying to get the millet and fruit I put in there.

#6 berlie

berlie

berlie

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hee Hee! Mine are pretty lazy as well. I got the treasure chest foraging toy and he want NOTHING to do with it! Mine are o.k. with breaking through a coffee filter to get to a peanut. That's about it tongue.gif lazy fids

#7 ReneeNoelle

ReneeNoelle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

Try google searching parrot enrichment handbook. It has a whole section of how to make your own foraging toys as well as demonstrating some you can buy. biggrin.gif

#8 loriwoo

loriwoo

Adv Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

that parrot enrichment handbook download is really cool. Lots of neat pictures and ideas, even ideas on getting them to be more playful...
which I need my bird to be,,otherwise he is just sitting on his cage or on me and I am feeling bad for his lack of activity.
I'm gonna try the raisin box idea and put some stuff in coffee filter papers, but I am starting out real small..
Lori

#9 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'm going to bump this topic back to the top since the last posting was in 2008. I found the Parrot Enrichment Handbook, and now there's a version #2.

http://www.parrotenr...hmentbooks.html

A really nice site for ideas!

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this