MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.com

and register there to participate in our community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Hot Spots

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Katie28

Katie28

Adv Member

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hey guys. I notice last night my golden retriever has a pretty big hot spot on his leg. It is obvious he has been licking it constantly, because now it is raw. I have washed it with a mild, water based antiseptic. I tried putting a bit of tea tree oil on and wrapping it, but he does not leave the bandage on. My question is, has anyone ever tried hot spot relief spray? Does it work? Thanks!

#2 TheresaS

TheresaS

Adv Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Katie28 @ Mar 9 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys. I notice last night my golden retriever has a pretty big hot spot on his leg. It is obvious he has been licking it constantly, because now it is raw. I have washed it with a mild, water based antiseptic. I tried putting a bit of tea tree oil on and wrapping it, but he does not leave the bandage on. My question is, has anyone ever tried hot spot relief spray? Does it work? Thanks!

Nope, never tried it. I have Akitas and they are notorious for hot spots sad.gif what works beautifully for them is Gold Bond medicated powder, a little messy but works like dream.

#3 Katie28

Katie28

Adv Member

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

Awsome! Thank you. biggrin.gif I have gold bond medicated powder! Yay, I don't need to go out and buy something! tongue.gif

#4 TheresaS

TheresaS

Adv Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Katie28 @ Mar 9 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awsome! Thank you. biggrin.gif I have gold bond medicated powder! Yay, I don't need to go out and buy something! tongue.gif

Great, I have all kinds of tried and true home remedies for pets and humans. The one for chronic ear problems in dogs is a hoot......LOL

#5 Katie28

Katie28

Adv Member

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

The one for chronic ear problems in dogs is a hoot......LOL

Care to expand? lol You have me all curious! tongue.gif

#6 TheresaS

TheresaS

Adv Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (Katie28 @ Mar 9 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Care to expand? lol You have me all curious! tongue.gif

"Feminine Hygiene" product.....works well, also helps with skunk smell.....but you might get funny looks buying 12 bottles of it.......LMBO

#7 Katie28

Katie28

Adv Member

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hahaha laugh.gif That is too funny. I have never had to deal with ear problems, even though I own a basset hound! lol Skunk smell too?!?! That is too funny. We had a skunk incident last year with our 2 dogs and another golden retriever. Didn't know they had gotten sprayed until they darted in the house a were rolling all over the furniture. We just bought "Nok-Out" and rented a fogger. Fogged the house and the dogs with Nok-Out. Worked wonders, without the funny looks! tongue.gif

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:20 AM

My basset gets hot spots every fall for some reason, maybe allergies, and I usually end up giving him Benadryl for a few days so he'll stop scratching and let it heal. The vet said that was okay. I've tried topical stuff like Neosporin and cortisone cream and that helps but doesn't make him stop scratching it. I'm going to try the "feminine product" route next time. laugh.gif

As for basset ears, if anyone's got a basset scratching his ears, the vet told me to just clean 'em out with a warm wet washcloth. You can't reach far enough to hurt him, and a good scrubbing keeps them clean and mine loves it. He even asks me to do it. He'll follow me into the bathroom and look longingly at the sink when he wants his ears scrubbed. tongue.gif

#9 TheresaS

TheresaS

Adv Member

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Siobhan @ Mar 9 2009, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My basset gets hot spots every fall for some reason, maybe allergies, and I usually end up giving him Benadryl for a few days so he'll stop scratching and let it heal. The vet said that was okay. I've tried topical stuff like Neosporin and cortisone cream and that helps but doesn't make him stop scratching it. I'm going to try the "feminine product" route next time. laugh.gif

No, no, no, Gold Bond medicated powder is for hot spot, the "Feminine Hygiene" product is for the ears.....LOL

#10 rivka17

rivka17

Adv Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Katie28 @ Mar 9 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My vet always recommended bitter apple to get them to leave their leg/bandage alone does not treat the irritation but prevents them from wanting to chew on the spot. Actually the treatment/cleaning/prevention for ear infection/swimmers ear for both humans and dogs is the same. 50:50 mix of white vinegar and alcohol. my vet always used grain alcohol(he learned it from a swim team years ago) but I use isopropyl. the vinegar changes the pH so the bugs dont grow, and the alcohol drys the ear.

#11 Merlinmew

Merlinmew

Adv Member

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:30 AM

There are a couple sprays and topicals the Vet can prescribe for hot spots too. The vet can also do a lidocaine solution that can be dabbed on the spot to numb the surface.

With hot spots, skin allergies & wounds - you can get a product called Eskimo OIl (its a gel capsule) and either give it to your dog or poke a hole in the capsule and squeeze the oil on your dogs food. (Its made of Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids which help the immune system and more importantly heal wounds & skin problems.) Just about any holistic Vet will recommend this as a good first step. Tea Tree oil will clean the wound but try not to let a dog lick and ingest too much. You can also sooth with Calendum Oil.

For a natural way to relax your dog (if you think stress is contributing or she's over-chewing). Bach's Flowers Rescue Remedy might be of help since its a natural relaxant & anti-anxiety remedy that doesnt have the side effects of drugs aimed at this.

Bitter Apple can be sprayed to help curb chewing.

Bandaging often doesnt work - most dogs chew through the bandages...LOL (I know mine do...and they can remove them faster than I can put one on......)

The feminine product...is only good if the ear infection is caused by yeast. There are differnt types of ear infections - unfortunatally.

#12 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

I've never heard of a "hot spot". What is it? I just know about lameness in horses, and if they have swelling somewhere and it's hot there's infection in it.

#13 Katie28

Katie28

Adv Member

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

A hot spot is like a surface infection. They are usually circular and lose hair. They are caused by infection or allergies. They usually happen in the summer months. This is my first experience with a hot spot in the winter. Hot spots can get very itchy, causing the dog to lick or chew the area to the point of mutilation. I purchased a spray last week and my goldens spot is practically gone. It is made of pure aloe, tea tree oil and cammomile. It is the best stuff I have tried, as his hot spot is 99% healed in 5 days. smile.gif

#14 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

I'm glad you got it taken care of, and thanks for the info! smile.gif

#15 Amsue0222

Amsue0222

Adv Member

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

What my vet did with my Golden's hot spots is shave the whole area around it so that the air can get to it. Covering it will actually make it worse-- the bacteria that is making it itch loves being covered. Wash the area with antiseptic cleaner- I use Johnson's hurt free anti septic cleaner and then put an antibiotic ointment on it. I know they will still lick it off but the little bit that gets on there is still ok-- I would wash and re apply the ointment at least 2 times a day-- MY golden would be covered in them when he gets stressed out. Also it could be due to food allergies, but Golden's are just more prone to get the hot spots for what ever reason.

The vet explained to me that the more you cover it the more you are helping the bacteria breed-- Hope this helps.

#16 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

All I can say is, thank goodness I was an active member when this thread was started! Bilbo has one or two hot spots, and I know exactly how to treat them! Yay!

We're going to the vet tomorrow to make sure, but I'm pretty darn sure this is what he's got.

#17 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

Oh hot spots wouldn't be fun with Bilbo since you have to shave the infected area.. he's got so much hair!! :( Good luck Dani!

#18 Pies Mom

Pies Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

Good luck with Bilbo, Dani!

I just wanted to add - when our old dog used to get them in his armpits, we were told to put Polysporin on, and the douse the area with Baby powder. Worked like a charm and cleared up within a few days!

#19 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Thanks guys.....it's MUCH worse than we thought. He has two really bad hot spots, with a huge rash connecting them. One spot is on his left side and the other is on his back, between his shoulder blades. He's in a lot of pain, so is spending the night at the vet's office.

They put a body wrap on him, because he keeps scratching it. I had put an E-collar on him yesterday, so he can't bite it anymore.

#20 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

I talked to a vet tech this morning, and he's still really uncomfortable and Zach and I are leaving town tomorrow for the day...so he's staying another night at the clinic. I miss my baby! But I know he's getting the best care possible, and will be okay. Just wanted to fill you in.