MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Elwood's On His Way

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gidyup3

gidyup3

Adv Member

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

We just dropped Elwood off at the airport, and I'm pretty much crushed. I already miss him, even if he was a huge pain in the butt. I started crying as soon as we got in the car to go there, and every time he screamed for me brought on another wave. I'm still crying now. I know he'll have a great home with Connie, and I don't doubt her in the least. I just wish that I would still be able to see him every now and then.

I will miss him, very much.

We took some video of him and his tricks. When we figure out how to get it onto the computer, I'll post it.

I hope he makes it there ok.

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

I guess I missed the back story on this. Why did you rehome him?

#3 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

It's never easy to have to rehome a bird. Take heart in knowing he's going to a great place and he'll be well cared for.

#4 gidyup3

gidyup3

Adv Member

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Siobhan @ May 9 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I missed the back story on this. Why did you rehome him?

Basically, he was having a really hard time being alone. He started barbering whenever I was gone, and try though I might I haven't been able to get him to stop. I've also tried to help him get over his lonely screaming for the entire time that I've had him. Seeing him with his separation anxiety and not being able to do anything about it was killing me. He could never be truly happy here. (If anyone really feels like reading all about it, go here: http://www.quakerpar...mp;#entry526872, then here: http://www.quakerpar...p;#entry532835)

Nothing has worked, and me getting another bird (which I already tried, and it failed miserably) is not an option. I do not have the time for another, plus another bird would have taken even more of my time away from Elwood. I had no other option but to send him to live in Connie's quaker colony. There he can get the constant companionship that he needs, and we will be very well cared for.

That's the gist of it. I know some don't agree with my decision, and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, this is what I feel is best for him, and I really am at peace with it. It's still hard to see him go though.

Thanks Carrie Anne, I know he'll have a great home there. The little punk wub.gif is very lucky to be going where he's going.

#5 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:29 AM

Yep, he's gonna be spoiled at Connie's...heck, I'd love to go live there!! LOL

#6 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:37 AM

Elwood has arrived! What a cutie. He was chirping when they brought him out to me and then chirped on the ride back to the house. I let him out of the carrier and he flew out and landed on my head. biggrin.gif I asked him to step up and he just stepped right up and let me pet him. We sat and chatted for a few minutes and I got him some fresh water and some food and he's made himself at home and we'll see how he does with my guys outside in a few days... I'll let him settle in here with me and quarantine him for a bit and then he'll get to meet his new buddies outside after that.

Thanks again Julianna for trusting me with his care...I'll keep you posted as to how he's doing!

#7 gidyup3

gidyup3

Adv Member

• Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (Andie's Mom @ May 10 2009, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I let him out of the carrier and he flew out and landed on my head. biggrin.gif I asked him to step up and he just stepped right up and let me pet him.

Hahaha! Yep, that sounds like him! rolleyes.gif Awww...that makes me happy to know he's being a good boy!

#8 jobo2mi

jobo2mi

Here ... let me get that for you!

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

Im so sorry Julianna that Elwood wouldnt be a good boy for you ... you did the right thing ... rather than continue to have an unhappy bird ... AND unhappy birdmommy sad.gif ... He will have a good life with Connie.

And Connie, it's great that Elwood was none the worse for wear on his cross country flight. We hope to hear how well he fits in with your quaker colony. Who knows? Maybe he'll pair up and you'll be the proud grammy to some Elwood babies!! biggrin.gif

#9 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:10 AM

Just thought I'd Update on how Elwood is doing out in the flight.

He is doing remarkably well. He came to me as a little bit of a barberer.. and that has gotten much less noticable. Now its getting harder and harder to tell the birds apart with just a quick glance. Of course I can tell my blues apart because they're al a little different color of blue...and a little different sized. But I know that if one lands on my head its going to be Elwood..

Now that they all gone through the fall molt it won't belong for the spring molt to start taking place, especially if it stays warm like this. and then it will become even more difficult to tell them apart from just a glance.

We'll see what spring holds this year out there...See if any get real interested in going to nest...if they do great...if not that's just fine with me too.

#10 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

Aw, I'm glad Elwood is doing so well with all the other Q's! That's great news :)