MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

I Have Decided To Let My Parrot's Wings Grow Out

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tampaclavin

tampaclavin

Adv Member

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:41 PM

First of all..she only flies when she is afraid of something. This is how it starts. She already knows all corners and walls in my small apartment including the windows. She has not flown into anything. I am so shocked! I was so scared she would fly into a wall or window and hurt her beak or hit her head..but she is so smart, this hasn't happened! Hey..what the hell..why take her to the vet. and get her wings clipped ..when she is safe and happy like this? She has even flown into my own hands..so she knows where she is going. Don't be afraid to let your parrot's wings grow. It is easier when they know where to go. I am happy for her and forget the vet. I thought she would get hurt..but she hasn't.What the heck. biggrin.gif

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

Both of mine are flighted and Clyde is so good he can turn in midair, hover and land on a finger. Jade's landings still need some work, but she's getting better. Neither of them flies around except to come to us and go back to their cages. Jade will fly to us for food and can land on a shoulder or head. She still won't land on a finger. Clyde comes to find me if he wants to sit on me and I haven't come to get him soon enough to suit him. laugh.gif We have bead door curtains hanging across the opening from dining room to kitchen (where the back door is) so there's really not much trouble they could get into, and they're only out of cages if we're there to supervise. Our windows all have miniblinds, so they're not going to fly into one of those. If there's no danger to the bird and you can make sure they don't go out the door accidentally, I don't see why letting them fly is a bad thing. It's good exercise, too.

#3 tampaclavin

tampaclavin

Adv Member

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

She seems so happy knowing she can fly now. I shall not ruin it..no way-no how..unless something tragic happens..I hope this is rare though if anyone knows?

#4 svdm

svdm

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:19 PM

http://abclocal.go.c...=...&id=6945476

check out this story about a previously unclipped Quaker near me...It has a happy ending thank goodness...and the bird now has clipped wings. I think it is a matter of choice ( like many parenting decisions) and personal situation. But gosh, I think these little guys are on their game 24/7, and "hunting a hole" is just part of the fun.

susanne

#5 Gary

Gary

Adv Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

I am letting Harley's wings grow I think it is important that evry bird has the opportunity to experience flight at least once in their life. That is what being a bird is all about. With that being said their safety is priority one and most homes have a lot of hazards for a small flying bird.

#6 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

this can be a VERY touchy subject...

i choose to keep the wings clipped for safety. there are too many people who have lost their birds by them accidentally flying away.

accidentally. meaning the bird wasn't clipped and something TRAGIC happens.

an open door. an open window. a wall. the toilet.

those are just a few... and for me, too many.

when the wings grow back, i allow them to fly for a few days but then take them to get clipped.

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

I agree, a clipped bird in my house is a safer bird. I don't take them to the vet, though, I clip them myself. I've heard that Quakers can sometimes get a bit bratty when they're allowed to fly, and I don't want Chewy to get any ideas. smile.gif

#8 kate

kate

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

Disasters can happen both ways. You are the only one that can make the choice. Weighing pros and cons. Each household is diff. Just make sure there is caution used. Mine are all flighted. But it is rare for them to fly. But I have next to none on the foot traffic. By this I mean the doors opening. If I think they need it though, then I do clip individuals as needed to keep them safe. smile.gif

#9 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Flighted and happy birds here...Its a personal choice and dependant on your home and life style ..I have bird proofed my home as much as possible ..(I feel like I am the one living in a huge bird cage lol)..
Dangers for both clipped and non cliped fids ..you need to be vigilant whichever you choose..
Even clipped birds can escape through open doors don`t feel you can relax your guard just because you fid is clipped...

#10 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

i'm *really* on the fence on this issue. with a cat in the house, it weighs heavy on my mind. in the summer it's easy because we lock the cat in the house when we bring the birds on the porch. but in the winter, it can get too cold to lock him out on the porch while the birds are out.

louie came to us clipped and when he molted his flights back in, he was a complete brat. he wouldn't stay on his stand for more than 30 seconds and he became VERY bitey. we kinda clipped him (we clipped him but it was an improper clip to say the least). as soon as he was clipped, he was a different bird. he got a proper clip at his vet visit a year ago. now he's molted his flights back in and is still the same sweet bird as when he's clipped. tonight he flew from his stand to my hand because i was holding zuzu. no, he wasn't invited, and yes i should have taken him back to his stand. BUT he doesn't fly hardly ever, except when scared or jealous.

zuzu got a proper clip earlier this year after being fully flighted at alex's house. he's since molted his flights back in also, but again, he doesn't fly hardly ever.

goofy got a HORRIBLE clip and last year we were advised to not clip a single feather. he's fully flighted now too, and he flies back to his cage every night at bedtime. we might clip a couple on him to see if that makes a difference in his attitude toward ian. he's not mean, but he is definitely not keen on hanging out with him, and being flighted, he just flies away. we have had some scary moments as our porch is 3 walls of glass...

i like my birds flighted, and it makes me sad to think about clipping them again. ian's first option is always clipping. not only do i believe they were meant to fly, but their flights are so pretty. i guess i'll discuss it with our vet in sept. and decide then.

kris

#11 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

I tried unclipped because I felt gulty and that it was unfair to the birds, but after losing my dear Verde for 24 hrs,(see thread below)now my birds are all always clipped now.

MY VERDE IS GONE, HE FLEW AWAY
http://www.quakerpar... has flown away

Thanfully it had a happy ending though:

MY VERDE IS HOME!

http://www.quakerpar... has flown away

#12 Quincy's Slave

Quincy's Slave

Adv Member

• Members
  • 7,715 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:37 PM

This can always be a very touchy subject here.

To clip or not to clip is such a personal decision. I think either way, you need to be sure that your house is bird proof so that there is no chance of flying out a door, landing on a hot stove or hitting a ceiling fan etc.

Quincy is clipped, he always has been and I can't see myself changing my mind on that. I'm babysitting a fully flighted Grey next week so we'll see how that goes.