MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

What Should I Do?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Poopilly

Poopilly

Poopilly

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

Hello everyone,

Like I said before on my last e-mail....the new paronts to my 2 babies promised to keep me updated and to send me pictures and all. Today is being a week and 1 day whithout knowing anything about the transition the made. I wrote her 2 e-mails asking her how they are doing???? She probably is ignoring me!!! Not sure what to think or what to do!!! But my heart is so sad...I wish she would be more caring towards me....I did explain to her how important they were/are to me!!! I need to know about them!!! Any advice on how to proceed on this matter....anyone had gone through this before???Thanks for any help...God bless.
Elaine

#2 Way2Bizzy

Way2Bizzy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:53 PM

It's a tough situation, but there really isn't anything you can do to force her to keep in touch with you. Maybe she's just too busy loving on the birds to check her email. As hard as it is, you might just need to trust that your instincts were right in picking a new family for your quakers.
Hugs

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

We got our basset from a family who gave him away in spite of the fact that he and their son were really attached to each other. After George had been here a few days, I called to tell the little boy how he was adjusting. I told him he could call me if he wanted to ask about George and gave him my number. He never called again, but George, for MONTHS, perked up every time he saw a little boy on bicycle. To this day, and George has lived with us for almost eight years, he still occasionally goes on alert when he sees a boy that size.

It's probably best for the birds if they get used to their new home and family and aren't always thinking you're coming to take them back, but I should think the woman could at least give you a call and tell you how they are. Still, they're her birds now and while it would be nice for her to call, she really isn't obligated to call.

#4 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

I agree, there really isn't much you can do since they are no longer in your possesion. Unless youu had a written docuument that the new parents signed etc.

Life gets hectic at times and even the best meaning people get distracted, give them a little while longer and see what happens.

#5 Poopilly

Poopilly

Poopilly

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks everyone....It is so hard sometimes!!! But today after writing here! I wrote the lady a 3rd e-mail....a little more detailed, explaining how important it was to me to know how my babies were doing with her!!! And I said that if she did not respond I would have to call her to ensure that everything was okay with them. So after this e-mail she decided to write....didn't say much, but sure I'm glad to hear they are doing okay with her....adjusting I think. I thanked her so much....and told her this means so much for me...and I'm happy she did respond. Thanks everyone....I really hope she is taking good care of them for me. I miss them so much it's being one week only and I wish they were here with me and I hope they know I love them and just wanted what was best for them!!! It’s so hard. Hope they are both very happy and not missing me and my family so much....really hopes they live a long happy life.
Thanks,
Love
Elaine

#6 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

I'm glad you heard from them, I know how hard it is to part with your pets...they are part of the family...

#7 Andrča W.

Andrča W.

QP Lover

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

I have a little advice to offer on the otherside of the issue ::

When I bought my little parrotlet the bird breeder hand delivered her across 3 states. (She was going on holiday.) Being new to owning such a small bird, and knowing that she would still be traveling I didn't think to email her right away. Because I had dial-up at the time, and I rarely went online. A few days later I did check my email, and had received a polite note for information regarding the baby, but you know how busy life can get!

I didn't think to email her back right away. It's not that I wasn't Greatful for my baby, nor ignoring the breeder on purpose --- I just didn't have the time.

When I got online with my already written email, I was dismayed to discover that the breeder had emailed me a snarky message. Along the lines that I didn't love my baby, nor appreciate the effort she had made do deliver her to me.

I cried.

But I still emailed her back my pre-written message! I did include all the information to try, and let her know that it wasn't on purpose, and I was Greatful.

After that I emailed her once a week, with updates for the first year. I do have to say though :: It destroyed our relationship.

Now I do understand where she was coming from --- She was worried, and wanted to know that everything was okay. Maybe I should have just sent her a quick email right away, but at the time I thought two things, "She wouldn't be home for a couple of days and I wanted to let her know In Detail how everything was working out!"

It was a mistake of my part.

In this case it could be that the new birds are requiring a lot of care that the person didn't expect. They could also be dealing with Life and/ or family issues.

I would suggest patience. I know it is difficult, but from experience I know that I felt Ashamed when I realized I had made a mistake by not Responding Right Away. This person could be feeling the same way, and is unsure if they have insulted you.

This is just a little advice. Of course I don't really know the situation, but I did want to let you know it is most likely Complete Disregard on this person's part. Life get's hectic at the worst possible times.

#8 rescuedfidsmommy

rescuedfidsmommy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:41 PM

That is really tough, I know. I've been through it. Some people are very good and corresponding, others are not! I agree, it is important to trust that you picked a good home in the first place. Kind of like children, you have to let go! One of the best things, is to remain positive and open at all times. Some people are just really CRAPPY at keeping up with friends and family- I know, I am one of them.

Until you have raised/restored an animal/fid to good health- you really don't understand how much heart and soul goes into it. There are people who are just happy that their breeder/rescue co-ordinator is THERE when THEY feel they need it! I have had people get back to me only YEARS later to say, HELP! Then, I hear how great they are with the fid, see pictures etc etc etc etc. The other post is correct, it could be guilt. It could also be, just no time/busy bonding/nothing is wrong, nothing thought to report and pride could be there too. I am sure you screened the family well, they might just sort of think in their mind "well, I am doing it all right and everything is fine, why do I need to treat her like my MiL??". I'm not saying I agree with that attitude, just that- even good parrots with great homes- well they don't GET it if they haven't raised/restored those babies!

Just do your very best to remain positive at all times and be there should/if they want or need you. It is very hard to let them leve the next, I know. But, you sometimes just have to have faith and trust that all is well. No news is good news, kind of thing! Some people, I guess are more intuitive or more sensitive or just more "yakity" and fill us in with the details.

I would say- after re-homing several hundred birds- that its only about 1/8 of people that communicate both initially and continuing long term, rain or shine. Its about 1/3 that I hear from quite often over the first few months or so, then it peters off. But, I like that- because it allows us to kind of cement a mutual relationship and I know that- if they ever need something, they will be comfortable to ask me. I realize how difficult it is. Unfortunately, its one of those things that just is. I am sure you did a good job finding good homes, so my advice is to trust your gut and be positive and open with your fids new people always!

wink.gif

J

#9 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

This probably could of been avoided if you had exchanged phone numbers wink.gif Email truly isn't that reliable and not every one spends every day on the computer.

#10 Andrča W.

Andrča W.

QP Lover

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

I meant :: Of course I don't really know the situation, but I did want to let you know it is most likely not Complete Disregard on this person's part. Life get's hectic at the worst possible times.

#11 craftsmaster

craftsmaster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

Hello everyone,

Like I said before on my last e-mail....the new paronts to my 2 babies promised to keep me updated and to send me pictures and all. Today is being a week and 1 day whithout knowing anything about the transition the made. I wrote her 2 e-mails asking her how they are doing???? She probably is ignoring me!!! Not sure what to think or what to do!!! But my heart is so sad...I wish she would be more caring towards me....I did explain to her how important they were/are to me!!! I need to know about them!!! Any advice on how to proceed on this matter....anyone had gone through this before???Thanks for any help...God bless.
Elaine

Email works effective in online conferences, it is however does not provide 100% source of reliability. You should have asked any instant messaging accounts like mobile number, aol, skype, yahoo etc. Business people spends reading 2 emails a day enough to accommodate the entire assigned task for a certain period. But the best thing to do is to get his mailing address.