Our Re-homed/rescued Zoe

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tinks

tinks

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:13 AM

We got Zoe a while back as a rescue of sorts. Zoe belonged to my husband's coworker's young daughter. After Zoe bit her daughter, she was handled less and less until not at all or three years. She had not ever seen a vet. Her cage was adequate for a bird her size, but no more. We found plenty of inappropriate toys in the cage and lots of hazards with wires wrapped around the bars of the cage from left over treats. Zoe was territorial over her cage and ab out 5 feet around the cage, she'd hiss and strke at you. She was fully flighted as she'd never been groomed. She was also exquisitely noisy, she'd screech a LOT. She looked pretty dull and raggedy, but we didn't know if she may be going through a molt at the time. Often she'd say her name after the owners would tell her, "Shut up, Zoe!"

Well, we are a couple months down the road. We've visited the vet and the groomer. We made the decision to change Zoe's diet from pellets to a mix especially for parrots. Despite pellets being total nutrtion, I liked that our local pet store had an all natural option that more closely followed what birds would find in nature. I also found a frozen home-made mix that supplements twice weekly, though Zoe isn't quite sure what she thinks of that quite yet. It contains pasta, beans, probiotics and other good stuff for birds.

I had Zoe genetically tested, primarily to ensure we would know for sure whether we ran the risk of having an egg bound bird on our hands, and would prepare to know how to deal with it. Well...Zoe is now Zoe, the boy bird! tongue.gif

Pierre, our local pet store owner helped me with a few things to ensure we were the flock leader of Zoe. He agreed, Zoe's biggest problem was that he was a-social and lacked manners. He was also curious, seemed to want to be friendly and just wanted to learn. I made the decision to purchase Zoe a new cage, and sooner rather than later. This allowed Zoe to remit his territory for a much nicer set of digs. He slowly transferred himself over to the new cage over the course of a weekend on his own, and then I moved his old cage away. It is bigger, has a playground on top and I only have one wooden perch in there. The other perches are natural wood and adjustable rope perches. We have given him a 'hut' at the top of his primary vertical perch. He is allowed to be territorial of his hut, but nothing else. He is adapting to this well.

Now that his wings are clipped, we play games like flying. I take him to the kitchen (a straight shot to his cage) and he flies to his cage). He ducks down and assumes the position and lands very beautiully. He gets exercise and is very happy playing like this.

He loves to snuggle! He loves petting! He is a very affectionate bird when you are holding him. If he thinks you may stop petting him, he nudges your finger, going under it and will even pet himself!

I have started giving him showers with me once a week. He had never had a shower before. He wasn't dirty or anything, but he had...an odor. After the first two showers, that all but disappeared. I just allow him to get in the water at his discretion. He really soaks himself! He hasn't quite started to open his wings regularly, but he has started to try. He still has what I would consider the odor of a bird, but it is very mild. He is etremely soft. We do think he was in the tail end of a molt when we got him. His feathers have gotten much thicker, way more iridescent (green and blue) and he just looks healthier.

Zoe was pretty noisy before. I expected I would have a noisy bird...that is what parrotts do. He has gotten a lot quieter once some of the changes took place. We quickly identified his stress/anxiety type squawk. We hear that and his 'pay attention to me!' squawk very rarely. Now, he is pretty content and mostly what we hear from him are his attempts to communicate. We'll do something and he'll copy, or he'll throw out something he know's we'll copy. So, we still have a bird who sings and makes noise, but I wouldn't say we have a noisy bird.

Zoe is kind of nervous about new things. Not unusual for Quakers. He is funny though. If he is on my shoulder or on his play area perch and sees me eating it and I offer him some, he'll generally try it. We know what are good foods for birds, so I'll often get an apple or piee of fruit. I notice he likes savory foods and meats best though.

All in all, Zoe is doing great and I'd say this rehoming is proving successful. Even if we have had a HUGE learning curve!!

#2 jobo2mi

jobo2mi

Here ... let me get that for you!

• Members
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:06 AM

It sounds like you made a WONDERFUL change for Zoe! biggrin.gif He is and will be happier, you have and will have a great companion to train (and that will train YOU tongue.gif ), and everyone gets benefit in the end!!

Poor thing was neglected for so long, it may take a while for him to realize he's in a loving home now. He's getting the idea already but you may still run into problems with certain things. Just continue to take it slow with him but show him that YOU have the final say. He sounds like you won't have a LOT of things, but some things may pop up.

I am glad you took poor lonely little Zoe. He's going to have a wonderful life.

Keep us informed about his progress and we'd LOVE to see pictures of him! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 8,963 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

Awwww! wub.gif A happy ending for Zoe!

#4 Cacophony

Cacophony

Adv Member

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:59 AM

It really shows how sometimes the right home, with the right person, and the right bird makes a complete difference... and why people should do their homework and make sure they're a good personality fit BEFORE committing to something that may just end up being a forced disfunctional relationship. tongue.gif Sounds like Zoe got just what he needed and you got the perfect bird for your flock!

.... Psssst... and where are the pictures? Please? Would love to see him!

#5 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

KUDOS to you for giving a kind, loving home to a lonely little green chicken. You will be blessed. Both you and Zoe are very fortunate to have each other.

#6 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:56 PM

Wonderful news!!! Sounds like Zoe...and you, have adapted nicely to the change in scenery. Quakers can be a handful, but they are one of the most rewarding birds to own (in my biased opinion laugh.gif).

Thanks for the update...it's great to hear stories like this. smile.gif

#7 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:30 PM

What a wonderful story. Just goes to show what a little understanding can do for a troubled Quaker. Bless you for taking this poor troubled boy on and giving him a second chance! biggrin.gif