• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 monk mania

monk mania

Adv Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

I know I have send other posts about this but I am still concerned about heathcliff being a realtively quiet almost 5 mos old blue quaker. He will almost growl squawk for a period of time during the day and sometimes not at all. Like today. You would not even know I had a bird in my house. He make a few noises this morning and now he is sitting on top of cage in same spoke for at least and hour or more. My friend has a moustache parrot the same age as my quaker and when I stayed overnight with them I was amazed in the morning how bubbly and active their parrot was. Knowing the normal disposition of Quakers and all the people I know who have one, it just makes me wonder if my quaker will break the noisy quaker mold and be a quiet docile bird for his life. I am hoping that over time he will become more vocal and more active. He plays with some of his toys but for short periods of time. My dad says when I am at work he squawks in the morning after I leave, sometimes for a short period and sometimes throughout the day but when I get home at night he is as quiet as a mouse. He also doesn't eat alot. When I uncover him in the morning he does not eat right away. when i am home during day on weekends he may not eat till 2 hours or so after he is up. I am telling you you would not know I had a baby quaker in the house. I am sure I am just being an overly concerned new mom butt I figured I would put it out there to all of you

#2 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

you've had your bird less than a month, is that right? (i tried to go back and see when you started posting and get an idea, but i'm still learning the new features...) he's probably still settling in and getting used to his new surroundings, and typically during this period you won't have such a vocal bird, and maybe he won't be eating as much due to the stress of the change. maybe he's eating when you aren't looking. some birds take longer to acclimate and feel secure than others, so i wouldn't worry yet. you also have to understand that each bird has his own unique personality, so maybe he's not going to be as vocal as you are expecting.

our birds are vocal at different times throughout the day, but they do have times when they are completely quiet too. like now. aside from an occasional squawk or bell jingle, i wouldn't know i had 2 boisterous quakers in the house. i know my usually talkative self has moments where i'm pretty mellow and quiet too. :)

just give him time to figure out his place in the family and i'm sure you'll be back with stories about how vocal he is. i think you are doing ok, and he's just taking his sweet time before he lets you know his personality.

kris

#3 monk mania

monk mania

Adv Member

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:14 PM

you've had your bird less than a month, is that right? (i tried to go back and see when you started posting and get an idea, but i'm still learning the new features...) he's probably still settling in and getting used to his new surroundings, and typically during this period you won't have such a vocal bird, and maybe he won't be eating as much due to the stress of the change. maybe he's eating when you aren't looking. some birds take longer to acclimate and feel secure than others, so i wouldn't worry yet. you also have to understand that each bird has his own unique personality, so maybe he's not going to be as vocal as you are expecting.

our birds are vocal at different times throughout the day, but they do have times when they are completely quiet too. like now. aside from an occasional squawk or bell jingle, i wouldn't know i had 2 boisterous quakers in the house. i know my usually talkative self has moments where i'm pretty mellow and quiet too. Posted Image

just give him time to figure out his place in the family and i'm sure you'll be back with stories about how vocal he is. i think you are doing ok, and he's just taking his sweet time before he lets you know his personality.

kris

thanks a bunch for your reply...I will keep you posted on heathcliffs progress

#4 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

i have 2 budgies and 3 quakers. all of my birds are relatively quiet. my budgies being the most noisy of them all with all their chatter. my quakers will squawk when i leave the room but other than that, they're all quiet except when they want something.

i live in a small apartment and i've asked my neighbors if they're loud when i'm at work and they say no. they too hear the budgies and an occasional singing quaker but no screaming.

since your quaker is still young and you've only had it a month, he's still adjusting and will hopefully come out of his shell but don't wish for a screaming bird lol

with him being a baby he's still learning so act silly around him... you have to show him how to play with toys so you play with them and let him watch. he'll get nosey enough that he'll want whatever you have and he'll learn too.

good luck with your new baby and enjoy!!

#5 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

Sounds to me like he's just settling in. If you aren't noticing him/her eating you might want to keep track of his weight on a regular basis to make sure that he is indeed maintaining his weight. Sometimes newly weaned babies will revert and not want to eat when they get thrust into a new environment . But if he's still pooping normally, chances are he's eating just fine but it doesn't hurt to monitor their weight none the less.

A good gram scale is relatively inexpensive and is a good investment.

#6 moonchild1970

moonchild1970

Verde's Slave

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

A good way to get them eat is to eat whatever you want them to eat right by them. Curiousity usually wins out and they will come over for a taste.

#7 TrekkieForLife

TrekkieForLife

Adv Member

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

Neville didn't make a peep for about the first month he was with me. Then suddenly.... But he is still very quiet. Usually in the mornings and evenings he is most noisy.

Quark, on the other hand, is far more chirpy and talkative.

They are all so different. :)

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 8,962 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

When Clyde was the only bird, he didn't make a lot of noise. He'd have spells where he'd do some squawking but that was mostly when he wanted something. He said a few words but really, he was pretty quiet. Then we got Bonnie, then Jade, then Benjy, but when we got Jade is when Clyde really started talking. Jade talks a lot and says a whole variety of things, and Clyde doesn't want to be outdone. And Benjy chatters and chirps pretty much all the time he's awake. Having other birds around encourages all of them to make more noise than they would if they were the only bird. Bonnie was pretty quiet until we got Benjy and she still lets him do most of the chattering. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You might try going on YouTube and playing some Quaker videos for your bird to see if that encourages any noise. I know Clyde likes Quaker videos and always responds to them.

#9 shih-tzu mom

shih-tzu mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hi: And Welcome to the forum; I just got my baby a few weeks ago and i'm still handfeeding and he is beginning to talk[in his baby talk] just a little in the day time when i'm talking to him lol-but i wouldn't worry too much as if ,you just got him it is normal and some babies are just quiet-hope this helps you some-bella

Edited by shih-tzu mom, 08 January 2010 - 03:33 PM.